Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Mercedes W11

Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 17:33
The upper photo has a very skinny rear wing. The main plane is noticeably higher on the endplate.
Are they really going to use that wing this weekend?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

SiLo

Surely not, that's almost monza spec.
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Morteza wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 17:36
Just_a_fan wrote:
The upper photo has a very skinny rear wing. The main plane is noticeably higher on the endplate.
Maybe it's going to be tested in preparation for Spa and Monza.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

tomazy
tomazy

DRS housing and mechanism looks diffirent to.

zibby43
zibby43

Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 18:02
Morteza wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

I actually think it could be for Silverstone 2.

I mentioned this in the race thread, but after Ferrari got away with running almost Monza-spec levels of downforce in the first race at Silverstone, I thought both Red Bull and Merc would do the same this week.

Not only did Ferrari have decent race pace with their dragster spec, they had the added benefit of not putting the additional energy through the front left that caused failures in both Mercs and nearly a failure on VER’s front left.

zibby43
zibby43

Big Tea wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 13:03
zibby43 wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 00:25
Big Tea wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 23:16

I doubt they would 'save' them once they were ready as further development would depend on the performance of this pac, and if they were mistaken with some thing the next issue would be wrong too . Unless of course it is something they want to keep hidden, and then we probably not see it until someone was chasing them hard or late in the season or when it would not be classed as an upgrade later.

After last weeks show, if there were new packages for other tracks and they were ready I think Merc would run them as they have a very sorted car and could revert if not 100% happy with them even if the package was not specifically for Silverstone. At least give it a thrashing in FP1 and see what happens. :mrgreen:
My logic was based on the fact that in the hybrid era, especially in the past few years, Barcelona has been where Mercedes has introduced their most extensive upgrade packages.

There are a few reasons for this. First, since Barcelona is the pre-season testing track, Merc have tons and tons of data for that track for correlation purposes. Which is critical when evaluating updates.

Second, Barcelona also has a variety of different types of corners (unlike Silverstone, which only has a few low-speed corners), which is extremely useful in evaluating the performance of updates.

So yeah, in a situation where Merc is not in desperate need of rushing updates on the car, I think it would make a lot more sense to save them for Barcelona.
I see what you are saying, but what if they get to Barca and they do not work as expected? Not only are they one step behind where they thought, but other mods have been planned using the Barca baseline, which will then also be wrong.

I have no reason to push this as true, just the way I see it, and yours is just as valid so no disagreement with you
I see where you’re coming from, and I hope I didn’t sound argumentative (so hard to convey tone online), but consider that any developments they do put on for Barcelona would’ve likely been signed off on months ago, so the next batch of updates would already be well underway.

That’s why off-track correlation is so important. If you put the upgrades on at a track that won’t necessarily give you the most complete assessment of their performance with the best data, that can also negatively impact further development.

On a related note, from what I’ve seen thus far (on the exterior of the car), the only new bit is the even skinnier RW that has been posted here by Morteza.

atanatizante

zibby43 wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 22:41
F1Krof wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 22:30
Did they mention any updates for this weekend?
Haven't heard anything re: updates.

I'm guessing Merc will be saving their more extensive update package for Barcelona.
I recall James Allison said on Merc YT channel that they have some updates in order to address their lack of low-speed cornering ...
So I think they just waited to do some back to back tests until Silverstone 2, just to have some new relevant data to compare until then ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Big Tea

zibby43 wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 20:30
Big Tea wrote:
zibby43 wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 00:25

My logic was based on the fact that in the hybrid era, especially in the past few years, Barcelona has been where Mercedes has introduced their most extensive upgrade packages.

I see where you’re coming from, and I hope I didn’t sound argumentative (so hard to convey tone online), but consider that any developments they do put on for Barcelona would’ve likely been signed off on months ago, so the next batch of updates would already be well underway.

That’s why off-track correlation is so important. If you put the upgrades on at a track that won’t necessarily give you the most complete assessment of their performance with the best data, that can also negatively impact further development.

On a related note, from what I’ve seen thus far (on the exterior of the car), the only new bit is the even skinnier RW that has been posted here by Morteza.
Not argumentative at all, its a forum and your idea is as valid as mine probably far more so :mrgreen:

Nice to have a civil disagreement =D>
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

zibby43 wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 20:22
Just_a_fan wrote:
Morteza wrote:

I mentioned this in the race thread, but after Ferrari got away with running almost Monza-spec levels of downforce in the first race at Silverstone, I thought both Red Bull and Merc would do the same this week.

Not only did Ferrari have decent race pace with their dragster spec, they had the added benefit of not putting the additional energy through the front left that caused failures in both Mercs and nearly a failure on VER’s front left.
red bull have indeed appeared to go the same way as well

zibby43
zibby43

Big Tea wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 22:07
zibby43 wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 20:30
Big Tea wrote:

Not argumentative at all, its a forum and your idea is as valid as mine probably far more so :mrgreen:

Nice to have a civil disagreement =D>
Appreciate the kind words my friend. I also enjoy the discussion. Cheers!

zibby43
zibby43

Mchamilton wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 22:12
zibby43 wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 20:22
Just_a_fan wrote:

red bull have indeed appeared to go the same way as well
Yep, I just saw that. I am beginning to think that both teams will take a page out of Ferrari’s book and trim off even more DF. Ferrari did not turn their tires into bubblegum in the race, and they didn’t have the tire stress troubles either compared to higher-DF cars like Merc, Red Bull, and McLaren.

zibby43
zibby43

atanatizante wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 20:45
zibby43 wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 22:41
F1Krof wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 22:30
Did they mention any updates for this weekend?
Haven't heard anything re: updates.

I'm guessing Merc will be saving their more extensive update package for Barcelona.
I recall James Allison said on Merc YT channel that they have some updates in order to address their lack of low-speed cornering ...
So I think they just waited to do some back to back tests until Silverstone 2, just to have some new relevant data to compare until then ...
We shall see! Not many low-speed corners left at Silverstone, but there are some very important ones at Barcelona that are worth a lot of lap time in S3.

There were a few internal upgrades at Silverstone 1 (primarily weight savings), in addition to trimming out the RW and removing the Gurney flap.

LM10
LM10

Is there any reason for Mercedes to go for a slimmer rear wing other than "just for fun"?

PhillipM
PhillipM

Softer tyres, higher temps, gonna be running the engines in a slightly lower mode to keep temps in check, got enough grip from the softer tyres not to require as much wing.

wesley123
wesley123

LM10 wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 22:59
Is there any reason for Mercedes to go for a slimmer rear wing other than "just for fun"?
An issue, which Pirelli confirmed, was the tire loads. Simply said, these cars make too much downforce. They alreadfy ran less wing than they normally would, but this is even less.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender