2020 Formula 1 70th Anniversary Grand Prix - Silverstone, August 7-9

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sieper

Re: 2020 Formula 1 70th Anniversary Grand Prix - Silverstone, August 7-9

PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 17:15
Hmm i think some team cheat with the tyre pressures. The rims have a device that controls tyre pressure. Maybe a platically yielding membrane of sorts.
We know for a fact Mercedes was running higher pressures as the bare mandated minimum as Hamilton was questioning if RBR was running lower pressures. That couldn’t have helped.

Ferrari And Renault must have co-developed this device, leclerc and Ocon succesfully ran 1 stoppers whilst still keeping pace. Leclerc even overtaking Norris.

After Mercedes tires ripped in Silverstone 1 Newey said he now understood what they were doing. Might that have played a part in going for the set-up RBR ran last weekend. I think it likely.

ispano6

PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 18:41
Big Tea wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 17:28
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Hmm i think some team cheat with the tyre pressures. The rims have a device that controls tyre pressure. Maybe a platically yielding membrane of sorts.
Are the scoring cars not inspected for such things after the race? Had Max dived in for a quickie on the last coupe of laps, I may suspect, but he finished on his best tyres.

Or are you baiting :evil: :mrgreen:
I say guilty until proven innocent. I'm with Lewis on this one. RedBull wheels must be handed over to FIA for inspection.
What a sore loser. Some of you think the race winning RB16 is the same as the POS that started the year. The fact is, having the opportunity to race at the same venues under different circumstances gives teams the perfect test environment to correlate their performance. Tanabe and Newey are making the most of this to accelerate development and PU calibration. They have done a better job at learning what is wrong with the car and adapting it than the arrogance of Mercedes who can't look at themselves honestly and admit they didn't do their homework thinking they were going to ace the test or at least set the curve. The air of entitlement of some fans fueled by Mercedes dominance is such a turn off.

PlatinumZealot

The Mercedes was running well on Friday. It was the sustained hot temperatures that they didn't predict. Ferrari and RedBull seemed to be able to ...adjust... themselves at short notice.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Pany

PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 18:53
Redbull was 1 second a lap faster than Mercedes and they ran much longer and yet the tyres were in the words of Donald Trump; beautiful! beautiful tyres!

Mercedes must demand an ivestigation.
New engines

Big Tea

Pany wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 22:55
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Redbull was 1 second a lap faster than Mercedes and they ran much longer and yet the tyres were in the words of Donald Trump; beautiful! beautiful tyres!

New engines
And customer cars
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

epo
epo

PlatinumZealot wrote:

At least yeah, this is off and must be cheating. Ah well we'll beat that slow poke RB in Barcelona again =D>

Amazing also Hamilton directly knew, he is for sure the best driver all-time.

Restomaniac

Big Tea wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 16:22
LM10 wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 16:17
To sum up the weekend regarding RBR and Mercedes:

- Max perfectly capitalized on the issues Mercedes had

- Mercedes will most probably not have the same issues to the same extent again

- Mercedes has been, is and will remain the (by far) most dominant car in this season

- Bottas is a really weak racer and as long as he can’t even pull away with Lewis being right behind him in dirty air for several laps, he should not even dream of winning WDC
Agree except the Botas part, he is doing an almost perfect job. He is not there to be a champion, unless Hamilton drops the ball. He is an excellent back up and we should not slate him for things he does/does not do, unless it is an out of the ordinary race.
Which is all fine. However I keep hearing Bottas 2.0, Bottas 3.0, Bottas 4.0, etc on here and elsewhere.

strad

More careful reading of the thread required strad
Not sure what you mean but I heard him say this during the broadcast of the race.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

GPR-A

ispano6 wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 22:51
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Are the scoring cars not inspected for such things after the race? Had Max dived in for a quickie on the last coupe of laps, I may suspect, but he finished on his best tyres.

I say guilty until proven innocent. I'm with Lewis on this one. RedBull wheels must be handed over to FIA for inspection.
What a sore loser. Some of you think the race winning RB16 is the same as the POS that started the year. The fact is, having the opportunity to race at the same venues under different circumstances gives teams the perfect test environment to correlate their performance. Tanabe and Newey are making the most of this to accelerate development and PU calibration. They have done a better job at learning what is wrong with the car and adapting it than the arrogance of Mercedes who can't look at themselves honestly and admit they didn't do their homework thinking they were going to ace the test or at least set the curve. The air of entitlement of some fans fueled by Mercedes dominance is such a turn off.
Once this one race wonder is over, not have to wait long, then it's time to eat words. I have heard this chest thumping from fans of other teams when they get to win a race in unusual circumstance to Mercedes in the last 6.5 years. The discussion will be back to how high rake is dead and how much Honda is lagging behind.
FYI. Tyres are back to C1, C2, C3 for Barcelona and with normal pressures of 23Psi dront and 20.5 Psi rear. Let's see how much Newey and Tanabe has learnt.

ispano6

GPR-A wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 05:18
ispano6 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Once this one race wonder is over, not have to wait long, then it's time to eat words. I have heard this chest thumping from fans of other teams when they get to win a race in unusual circumstance to Mercedes in the last 6.5 years. The discussion will be back to how high rake is dead and how much Honda is lagging behind.
FYI. Tyres are back to C1, C2, C3 for Barcelona and with normal pressures of 23Psi dront and 20.5 Psi rear. Let's see how much Newey and Tanabe has learnt.
Funny, is the Earth going to cool back down to normal temperatures this weekend? Was the first Silverstone race not normal temperatures or PSI? Mercedes was blowing hard compound tires in the first Silverstone race, under normal conditions. Both Mercedes suffered identical failures due to identical characteristics of the car, which seems to be all about controlling the tire temperatures and the energy put into them but not being able to sufficiently cool them when ambient temperatures are high. Red Bull Honda aren't standing still either, and to beat Mercedes they obviously aren't normal, they are exceptional. And don't worry, I trust what Tanabe says and I know he's going to apply the learnings from Silverstone to Barcelona as they will run more correlation and parts testing like they did last weekend. They already have data from Barcelona so this is effectively their second go at it and if they eradicate the sensitivity to wind completely they can take the fight to Mercedes in hot conditions.

lh13

GPR-A wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 18:45
lh13 wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 18:38
I don't know what is with Hamilton fans. Yes Merc / Hamilton are unbeatable over the course of a season, but others cannot just pack up and go home. You people can't stand anyone having even some 'hope' of a competitive season. What the hell are you even doing on this forum if you can't discuss / stand others' opinions?
There is a difference in HOPING for competitive season (the grounds of which is questionable) and utter BS downplaying Mercedes' car performance in downright ugly manner. For some people, this past race result is way to throw up their long held frustration.
You are right, pretending that Merc has lost its advantage is utter BS, especially since the gap in Qualifying hasn't come down one bit. I was referring to some who continue to argue with others and say 'impossible' when someone says that we might get a closer season if RB sorts out their chassis problems. Now that is hope, not BS.

Fulcrum

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Evidence of zealotry, detected.

sosic2121

Any explanation why RP decided to pit Hulk?

GPR-A

ispano6 wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 06:21
GPR-A wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 05:18
ispano6 wrote:

Funny, is the Earth going to cool back down to normal temperatures this weekend? Was the first Silverstone race not normal temperatures or PSI? Mercedes was blowing hard compound tires in the first Silverstone race, under normal conditions. Both Mercedes suffered identical failures due to identical characteristics of the car, which seems to be all about controlling the tire temperatures and the energy put into them but not being able to sufficiently cool them when ambient temperatures are high. Red Bull Honda aren't standing still either, and to beat Mercedes they obviously aren't normal, they are exceptional. And don't worry, I trust what Tanabe says and I know he's going to apply the learnings from Silverstone to Barcelona as they will run more correlation and parts testing like they did last weekend. They already have data from Barcelona so this is effectively their second go at it and if they eradicate the sensitivity to wind completely they can take the fight to Mercedes in hot conditions.
Oh I bet you, the earth is going to cool down so much, it's going to freeze some people this weekend!

Your question if temperatures or PSI was not normal shows how informed you have been. Pirelli on Wednesday announced that they are going INCREASE the tyre pressures from 25 PSI front to 27 PSI front and similarly for rear, which is not NORMAL and is F1 history's highest tyre pressures. Normal is something that is set for the first time, which is what teams use to run their simulations. Once set, when it is changed, it's not NORMAL.

Obviously Red Bull Honda aren't standing still, just like Red Bull Renault didn't. Red Bull has been there fighting for 6.5 years now and losing. Picking up scraps in weekends that doesn't go well for Mercedes. Tanabe or Honda, it doesn't matter. They have been here running in V6 hybrid for 6th year running and still down on power compared to Mercedes. They aren't going to churn some magic in 5 days, which they haven't done in last 6 years.

Just_a_fan

sosic2121 wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 07:51
Any explanation why RP decided to pit Hulk?
He had bad tyre vibration.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.