Alfa Romeo C39

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Scorpaguy

Re: Alfa Romeo C39

holeindalip wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 19:08
Scorpaguy wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 17:39
Is it just me, or does the AR look a bit "older" than its competition? Do not get me wrong, the fit/finish/attention to detail seems on par, rather it just seems I am looking at a Countach instead of a Huracan???
Exactly my thoughts, just didn’t know how to word it as well......
Unfortunately, a Huracan is faster than a Countach :cry: Long season for us Italophiles I fear.

Morteza

Barcelona
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Ringleheim

Scorpaguy wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 23:58
holeindalip wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 19:08
Scorpaguy wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 17:39
Is it just me, or does the AR look a bit "older" than its competition? Do not get me wrong, the fit/finish/attention to detail seems on par, rather it just seems I am looking at a Countach instead of a Huracan???
Exactly my thoughts, just didn’t know how to word it as well......
Unfortunately, a Huracan is faster than a Countach :cry: Long season for us Italophiles I fear.
When I first heard that Sauber was to become ALFA Romeo, I got all excited. I never thought the team would regress to this level! It's pretty bad.

These photographs that folks are posting in this thread, though, are fantastic. I've enjoyed the detailed looks. If only this car wasn't such a dog.

Scorpaguy

I think it was 2013 or 14, I was standing in the WRC paddock mid season. Every bit on the VW car looked new/fresh/unused. Every bit on the Citroen car looked in great condition and well polished. Every bit on the Ford car looked within spec but a bit dull. VW was winning everything in sight at the time.

To analogize, I think Merc/RB/Fer are in the VW class - Ren/Mcl/RP/AT are in the Citroen Class - Wil/Alfa/Haas are in the Ford Class...and it seems Alfa is struggling to maintain at this lowest tier. Last year, the Williams was in a class by itself, really not worthy of being on the same track as the others. Frank's car looked a cobbled assembly of mismatched parts from different makes....this year they are the class of this lowest tier.

While the Alfa looks a proper assembled kit, all of the parts appear to have come from a vintage box. If their designs are as tired as they appear, look for continued descending lap times. Gio could be this year's Kub (1-pointer, or 2 in this case). On the bright side, placing the wrong tires on Kimi's car this year will not have any deleterious affect on his finishing postion ](*,)

wesley123

Alfa felt down the grid quite a bit last season, after they were fairly strong in the first half. This year they have a weaker Ferrari engine, and their car is probably the one with the least (visible) changes of the whole grid.

They're probably betting on 2022, as the team seems surprisingly not worried
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Morteza

In Great-Britain, Alfa Romeo modified the bargeboards of the C39

Alfa Romeo changed the heave element at some point of the season, which I cannot identify (upper pic is from Silverstone 1, the one below is from Barcelona 2)
Via @NicolasF1i
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Scorpaguy

...those lower close ups, the old (ancien) pics look a sight more fit, polish, and trim than do the new ones. While I realize polish and shine do not win races, the attention to detail re such often reflect upon overall work ethics and practices (of course the nouveau pics could also be post race). Still, I am worried about this team.
Last edited by Scorpaguy on 28 Aug 2020, 00:48, edited 2 times in total.

Morteza

Spa rear wing

Morteza

For the Belgian GP, Alfa Romeo will test a slightly modified diffuser, with one of the fences trimed (compare yellow arrows)
Via @NicolasF1i

Sevach

Trimmed FW and low DF rear.

Nathanael F1

Scorpaguy wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 15:17
...those lower close ups, the old (ancien) pics look a sight more fit, polish, and trim than do the new ones. While I realize polish and shine do not win races, the attention to detail re such often reflect upon overall work ethics and practices (of course the nouveau pics could also be post race). Still, I am worried about this team.
I don't think a comparison can be made based on these photos. The old photos are in sunny light conditions, whereas the new photos are in shade or overcast conditions. Of course carbon fiber looks more reflective in direct sunlight.
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

Scorpaguy

Nathanael F1 wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 01:48
Scorpaguy wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 15:17
I don't think a comparison can be made based on these photos. The old photos are in sunny light conditions, whereas the new photos are in shade or overcast conditions. Of course carbon fiber looks more reflective in direct sunlight.
Polished or not, today they had a better package than their big brother (Big Red) :D

Morteza

Different rear wing concept to the one used for Spa's race. Inverted spoon, no gurney.

Mchamilton

Morteza wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 14:14
Different rear wing concept to the one used for Spa's race. Inverted spoon, no gurney.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eg_UusiXkAA ... ame=medium
poorly scaled i must say lol

Morteza

Nicolas Carpentiers wrote:The Alfa Romeo has different rear wing concept for the Italian GP, as spotted by Albert Fabrega. Note that the shape of the pillars is also different, more square, quite original.