Haas VF-20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan

Re: Haas VF-20

pierrre wrote:
19 May 2020, 07:09
Just_a_fan wrote:
18 May 2020, 09:49
kalinka wrote:
18 May 2020, 08:06

What are those little black boxes at the end of the pushrods secured with two screws? One cable goes to the end of the pushrod, but seems there are no other connection, just some kind of antenna-like protrusion at the other end...looks like some kind of wireless transponder but what should it report/measure?
Strain gauge to measure force on the pushrod (and thus downforce / wheel loads), perhaps?
interesting that, pre-suspended(suspension) force sensor data collection to be calibrated with post-suspended(suspension) data collection, must be in there somewhere..even more interesting if they had laser sensors below the suspension uprights targeted at road surface to measure tyre compression and rebound depth and calibrate frequencies between all that to get an improved set up...maybe tyre pressure sensor is a simpler solution, probably less accurate
A sensor in each upright might be tricky - the uprights are already crowded with other sensors for brake temps etc., as well as the ducting for the air around the brakes. The do run a height sensor under the chassis, however, so they can work out using this and the suspension movement sensors (each corner has a sensor measuring movement) what the various items are doing. For example, if your suspension movement sensor shows a small movement but your chassis height sensor shows a large movement, then you know the tyres are where the difference between those figures is occurring (allowing for any less-than-perfect stiffness in the set up).
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

MiddleKerb

Silverstone Rear Wing

Morteza

Barcelona (via Motorsport.com)
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

Spa rear wing

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

Morteza

Via Motorsport.com

e36jon

I may have missed this in other threads and photos:

The way the bell meets up with the inside face of the rotor is new to me, being flush. The rectangular cut-outs in the inner surface of the bell that allow air to enter the rotor are also unusual as there is no geometric relationship to the round cooling holes in the rotor. I wonder what's going on on the outside face of the bell, facing the rotor? Maybe there are pockets formed there?

scarbs

e36jon wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 00:18
I may have missed this in other threads and photos:

The way the bell meets up with the inside face of the rotor is new to me, being flush. The rectangular cut-outs in the inner surface of the bell that allow air to enter the rotor are also unusual as there is no geometric relationship to the round cooling holes in the rotor. I wonder what's going on on the outside face of the bell, facing the rotor? Maybe there are pockets formed there?
This isn't new, it's a Brembo development used first by STR. The disc and bell splines are the full thickness of the disc, the bell is pocketed and air passes through the bell into the drillings in the disc. Pictured.

F1 Brembo brake disc to hub mounting detail https://imgur.com/gallery/g5u5eSG

e36jon

Thanks Scarbs!

I remember seeing the bell in another shot somewhere but hadn't seen everything mounted up, at least from that inner angle. Your linked images are just what I was asking for.

Cheers,

Jon

Morteza

christian.falavena

pierrre wrote:
19 May 2020, 07:09
Just_a_fan wrote:
18 May 2020, 09:49
kalinka wrote:
18 May 2020, 08:06

What are those little black boxes at the end of the pushrods secured with two screws? One cable goes to the end of the pushrod, but seems there are no other connection, just some kind of antenna-like protrusion at the other end...looks like some kind of wireless transponder but what should it report/measure?
Strain gauge to measure force on the pushrod (and thus downforce / wheel loads), perhaps?
interesting that, pre-suspended(suspension) force sensor data collection to be calibrated with post-suspended(suspension) data collection, must be in there somewhere..even more interesting if they had laser sensors below the suspension uprights targeted at road surface to measure tyre compression and rebound depth and calibrate frequencies between all that to get an improved set up...maybe tyre pressure sensor is a simpler solution, probably less accurate
I think tyre pressure sensors can help to calculate the downforce, but isn't enough. Tire is a not suspended mass and the load on it depends also to the suspension's reaction to the asperities of the track. That sensor assure also to control the movements of suspended masses. Am I wrong?

cplchanb

First running of the VF21 aka VF20+ in Bahrain.

Mods feel free to move this post to the vf21 thread

vorticism

motorsport.com
𓄀

vorticism

𓄀