Ferrari SF1000

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

JPBD1990

Re: Ferrari SF1000

The Ferrari looks like it’s running a barn door for a rear wing compared to the others. Interesting that they need to do that to make the car work, particularly when they’re so far down on power too.

The sf1000 has been relatively weird? It seems they do very well with high speed corners, implying it is generating some good downforce, but then they strap a barn door on? Also, in the wet a lot of downforce should be useful and we saw them absolutely nowhere in Belgium...

Can’t get my head around it.

nico5

JPBD1990 wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 12:41
The Ferrari looks like it’s running a barn door for a rear wing compared to the others. Interesting that they need to do that to make the car work, particularly when they’re so far down on power too.

The sf1000 has been relatively weird? It seems they do very well with high speed corners, implying it is generating some good downforce, but then they strap a barn door on? Also, in the wet a lot of downforce should be useful and we saw them absolutely nowhere in Belgium...

80% of wet-weather performance is down to how you work your tires mechanically. It's got really very little to do with downforce, as many seem to think. The Force India has always been a pretty low downforce car (pre-2020) and it did perform remarkably well in wet qualifying sessions, like Spa 2018.

Having said that, there's some truth to what you said, but it is pretty similar to 2019, when Ferrari was among the fastest in many high speed sections, but was then giving away some 10-15-20 kph in medium speed corners and some 10 in low speed (Singapore and Russia excluded). This year drag also became a negative factor, compared to last year.

MtthsMlw

Rare view on the drivers leg protection.
via motorsport.com

ScrewCaptain27

JPBD1990 wrote:

Their speed trap figures are decent though, and they are good through sector 1 in Barcelona. Their engine is not as down on power as many people think.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

f1316

The drivers’ comments about losing grip mid corner sounds to me more like some kind of aerodynamic instability - I.e. some of their peak downforce is ebbing away while the car is in yaw.

From my armchair perspective, that sounds like a familiar story when teams change direction - as Ferrari did from their lower drag approach of last year - and start chasing max downforce,

Big Tea

f1316 wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 17:35
The drivers’ comments about losing grip mid corner sounds to me more like some kind of aerodynamic instability - I.e. some of their peak downforce is ebbing away while the car is in yaw.

From my armchair perspective, that sounds like a familiar story when teams change direction - as Ferrari did from their lower drag approach of last year - and start chasing max downforce,
Remember the wheels are no longer parallel to the aero too. there will be wash
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

holeindalip

Big Tea wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 19:28
f1316 wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 17:35

Remember the wheels are no longer parallel to the aero too. there will be wash
Makes sense , when seb gets around another car when turning he just suddenly spins, Italy when ham went around the outside, Bahrain when ham went around the outside, and Britain when he got close to the other car last week although I think that one was applying power over the curb. I think like he said there is an aerodynamic hole on their car...

PlatinumZealot

JPBD1990 wrote:

Actually that Ferrari wing is lower downforce than the others. It has a less cambered lip. And no vortex generators..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

JPBD1990

PlatinumZealot wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 03:23
JPBD1990 wrote:

Actually that Ferrari wing is lower downforce than the others. It has a less cambered lip. And no vortex generators..
Thank you! As a layman I didn’t know that, because on face value it just appears there’s more surface area. Very interesting, and definitely makes the sf1000 sliiiiightly less perplexing

Fer.Fan

:D
JPBD1990 wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 04:18
PlatinumZealot wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 03:23
JPBD1990 wrote:

They don’t have any choice, PU is so down on power after FIA clamp down. Ferrari are trying to compensate by lower downforce. No wonder driver copmlain of understeear. It is very simple, PU is massive down on power and it affects the hole car koncept. Thay ware 1,5 sec off, slower then Merc in qualify. It is embarrassing. Ferrari are in same situvation Mclaren was with Honda in 16/17.

As Ferrari fan, it hurts...Embarrassing

aleks_ader

OMG years ahead. That picture should be PEGI18+

I got really big boner looking at that. That is curse or beauty of this hybrid PUs. More power u got more efficient u became. Because power comes from efficiency stipulated mainly by rules. Hence less heat rejection, more tight bodywork, more potential to generate EFFICIENT floor downforce. Its really big cascade effect of positives loops.

Ferrari really is on worse end of stick atm. Still aero is not so bad. At least is not terrible as it seems to be comparing to last year. But i think they really saw writing on wall when Matia try to force HIGH downforce agenda into equation from last year. Its evident that car needs year or 2 of development to become closer to the Merc. It seems really depends mainly on Pu department how much they could regain after winter break.

This year they really got nice engineering exercise how to cope with different problem. How assess lack of power to maximise or at least minimise losses. Its nice way to check for your inner workings of car simulation and setup engineering are doing good job. Its quite challenge for setup and mapping engineers to respond efficiently. Detection and assessment of problems. And how quickly work around problem. That modelling could became crucial to development nice quick loops to fix problem from one race weekend to next one. Just like Merc got that quick solving groups with endless cycle of incremental improvements on top of that.

Its evident that Ferrari for this season doing just that. Change config of rear wing levels, rake and suspension setups. Assessing and working around problem for better 2021 and more importantly better engineering for 2022.

Fight for 2 in constructor for next year is realistic. Merc is benchmark and crude awakening what needs to be done still in aero department tho.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

wowgr8

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 15:30

Their speed trap figures are decent though, and they are good through sector 1 in Barcelona. Their engine is not as down on power as many people think.
They were awful in sector 1. Around 15th and 16th in the rankings

dfegan358

Very poor performance from Ferrari today. Considering their resources and financial clout, it is disappointing how they have performed this year.

Clearly the engine is at the bottom of the pack now. The technical department need to get things together at Maranello.

Seb is probably not too disappointed to be leaving as he has better Chance of wins/podiums at Aston Martin if he ends up there.