FIA launches another engine regulatory crackdown focused on ERS

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
RaceFan1

FIA launches another engine regulatory crackdown focused on ERS

I'm surprised by the lack of coverage on this new FIA initiative. AMuS and insideracing are the only sources I've found.

https://insideracing.com/index.php/form ... sed-on-ers

Partymood

Re: FIA launches another engine regulatory crackdown focused on ERS

RaceFan1 wrote:
20 Aug 2020, 19:00
I'm surprised by the lack of coverage on this new FIA initiative. AMuS and insideracing are the only sources I've found.

I'm not surprised...

I read articles about it on Italian sites since the beginning of the week.
Also, something I haven't yet seen on other Countries sites, there's the news that MERC and Honda asked for the ban on party mode to be delayed at least until MONZA so that they can run test on the bench.

El Scorchio

Partymood wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 12:51
RaceFan1 wrote:

I'm not surprised...

Also, something I haven't yet seen on other Countries sites, there's the news that MERC and Honda asked for the ban on party mode to be delayed at least until MONZA so that they can run test on the bench.
The cynic in me cannot help but think all this new engine reg stuff is entirely for Ferrari's benefit, because of the mess they've gotten themselves into.

Big Tea

El Scorchio wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 13:25
Partymood wrote:
RaceFan1 wrote:

I'm not surprised...

The cynic in me cannot help but think all this new engine reg stuff is entirely for Ferrari's benefit, because of the mess they've gotten themselves into.
The cynic in me says Ferrari were doing it and got caught, so share the pain-
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

El Scorchio

Big Tea wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 13:36
El Scorchio wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 13:25
Partymood wrote:

I'm not surprised...

The cynic in me says Ferrari were doing it and got caught, so share the pain-
Yes exactly- it feels like they are just assuming guilt on the part of all the other manufacturers, just because Ferrari can't seem to keep up with some of them by strictly legal means.

And if therefore Ferrari are saying to the FIA as part of their deal 'Well WE can't figure out why they are so quick and can't make ourselves as quick, so therefore there must be something dodgy' which has led to this, then that truly stinks.

Just_a_fan

I guess now we know what:
“The FIA and Scuderia Ferrari have agreed to a number of technical commitments that will improve the monitoring of all Formula 1 power units for forthcoming championship seasons as well as assist the FIA in other regulatory duties in Formula 1 and in its research activities on carbon emissions and sustainable fuels.”
really means. They're going to get everyone's designs and give them to Ferrari to analyse... :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SiLo

Just to make sure I am clear on what they are looking for...

Asking for these auxiliary systems drawings makes me think that engine manufacturers might be sending current into an auxiliary component, and then diverting that somehow back into the main ERS system to get around a sensor?

Surely this would be easy to see, as there would need to be a connection back into the ERS system AFTER the sensors? Otherwise, surely all the current would still be going via the sensor?
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan

Easy enough to stop shunting current around the system - stick some low-rated fuses around the place. If that ECU only needs a handful of 12 Volts and 10 Amps, why are you chucking 50Amps its way? Stick a 15A fuse in front of it please. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

SiLo wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 15:18
Just to make sure I am clear on what they are looking for...

Asking for these auxiliary systems drawings makes me think that engine manufacturers might be sending current into an auxiliary component, and then diverting that somehow back into the main ERS system to get around a sensor?

Surely this would be easy to see, as there would need to be a connection back into the ERS system AFTER the sensors? Otherwise, surely all the current would still be going via the sensor?
Is this a problem to the teams? I thought it was in and out of and the limit to storage that was the block. ?

Are they likely to need to harvest while powering the re-gen? (above the H use which is allowed is it not??)

RaceFan1

I believe the talk last season was powering the MGU-K directly from the MGU-H without going through the battery and the electrical sensors. Possibly limiting the maximum RPM of the turbo by generating power directly into the MGU-K.

henry

RaceFan1 wrote:
22 Aug 2020, 22:40
I believe the talk last season was powering the MGU-K directly from the MGU-H without going through the battery and the electrical sensors. Possibly limiting the maximum RPM of the turbo by generating power directly into the MGU-K.
The regulations allow the MGU-K to be powered directly by the MGU-H. The energy has to pass through the IVT sensor at the MGU-K.

The regulations also allow the MGU-K to be fed simultaneously by the ES and the MGU-K. SOME of the energy goes through the IVT sensor at the ES and ALL of the energy goes through the sensor at the MGU-K. Somehow the FIA decide how much comes from each source, they have to to control the 4MJ ES to K limit.

Perhaps they bypass the sensor at the K but they might also take advantage of the method that apportions energy between the two sources. Or they might do nothing at all.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Partymood

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 14:56
Big Tea wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 14:53
Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 14:24
I guess now we know what:

really means. They're going to get everyone's designs and give them to Ferrari to analyse... :lol:
Dont know if you really need the smiley though
Yeah, have to make it a joke or it'll be considered an attack on the integrity of the Red Team. And we know where that will end... :wink:
[...] May I remind you of MERC secret tyre test? Or perhaps Macca's spygate? And I only mentioned what has been proven and sanctioned. [...]
Last edited by Steven on 25 Aug 2020, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cut silliness

Big Tea

Partymood wrote:
25 Aug 2020, 12:57
Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 14:56
Big Tea wrote:
21 Aug 2020, 14:53

Dont know if you really need the smiley though
Yeah, have to make it a joke or it'll be considered an attack on the integrity of the Red Team. And we know where that will end... :wink:
May I remind you of MERC secret tyre test? Or perhaps Macca's spygate? And I only mentioned what has been proven and sanctioned.
If you are anything but a Ferrari fan, you do have a point.

Zynerji

Can we just freeze the ICE and uncap the ERS system?

Let them push the ERS tech for performance gains. This is legitimately the most road relevant tech in F1.

flexcon

Random meandering thought.

Ferrari agree to technical details of their engine being shared which leads to FIA ordering this clampdown.
Ferrari knew this and built this years engine bulkier, stronger and able to withstand a higher power mode in the race
Ferrari have bided their time on this. Taken some pain knowing the others would be chasing qualifying top end power Ferrari New Spec 2 will allow them to run this new higher map during the race for longer than the others
Ferrari close the gap to others again.

Disclaimer - Thought of this while half asleep this morning. As you do...