Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Big Tea

Re: Mercedes W11

F1Krof wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 21:03
holeindalip wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 19:58
Big Tea wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 19:10

The sooner the other teams see it, the sooner they can ask to get it banned (or copied). Hide things until they are needed.
I concur, I would assume they would bring a 2021 floor at some point to get an idea probably at Abu Dhabi after the championships are wrapped up...
The sooner the other teams see it, the sooner they can ask to get it banned (or copied). Hide things until they are needed
- Ironically makes sense.
I concur, I would assume they would bring a 2021 floor at some point to get an idea probably at Abu Dhabi after the championships are wrapped up...
I wouldn't count the chicks just yet on the championship claim. I strongly believe that the Mode Ban would hit them hard. Race pace wise they're not ahead of the Red Bull as we all thought they'd be.
With the race run in the mode it is Now, but with spare 'damage points' (or what ever they chose to cal them) the standard engine can run harder as there is no need to beep the 'buffer' for party mode.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

tangodjango

F1Krof wrote:
holeindalip wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

The sooner the other teams see it, the sooner they can ask to get it banned (or copied). Hide things until they are needed.
The sooner the other teams see it, the sooner they can ask to get it banned (or copied). Hide things until they are needed
I wouldn't count the chicks just yet on the championship claim. I strongly believe that the Mode Ban would hit them hard. Race pace wise they're not ahead of the Red Bull as we all thought they'd be.
Red Bull will be miles away as soon as the hot spell gets over. It's the same thing we see every season. Start off slow, finally get a grip on the car by mid season, win a few races towards the mid/end of the season due to Merc misfortune/altitude problems for other teams/having the genuinely fastest race car. By that time Merc have been turning it down and preparing for next season for the entire second half or quarter of the season. Claim ending season with best chassis etc etc we will challenge them from Melbourne next year..rinse and repeat.
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

zibby43

Mchamilton wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 21:05
F1Krof wrote:
holeindalip wrote:

News floating about that Mercedes didn't use strat 2 in q3 (party mode) and only use strat 3 from q2 onwards. So if that's the case, and red bull used their party mode which I'm sure they did, then it ain't changing anything other than giving Mercedes more engine life to use in the races.
Yep. The mode they used today in Q2 and Q3 is the mode they normally use for quali simulations in FP and for Q1.

With the wear and tear that saved today, wonder if they’ll be able to give it more in the race.

tangodjango

Mchamilton wrote:
F1Krof wrote:
holeindalip wrote:

News floating about that Mercedes didn't use strat 2 in q3 (party mode) and only use strat 3 from q2 onwards. So if that's the case, and red bull used their party mode which I'm sure they did, then it ain't changing anything other than giving Mercedes more engine life to use in the races.
Someone forgot to tell ol' Helmet. :lol:
Red Bull chief advisor Helmut Marko (77) confirms: “This is good for us, because then even poles are possible for us”. He explains the reason to F1-Insider.com: “In Barcelona we lost at least half a second on Mercedes in qualifying because of the party mode, in Spa it would have been eight tenths. Every weekend we are improving in the chassis area, getting closer and closer to Mercedes. That’s why I believe that we’ll be on a par with Mercedes in qualifying in Belgium as well.”

Marko continues: “This is very important for us, because we have not yet given up our big goal: We still want to make Max Verstappen the youngest world champion of all time. We know what is still hidden in the car. In 2012, we were 60 points behind Alonso and still won the title.” It was with Sebastian Vettel at the wheel.

https://f1-insider.com/en/formula1/red- ... arty-mode/
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

tangodjango

tangodjango wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 21:24
F1Krof wrote:
holeindalip wrote:

Red Bull will be miles away as soon as the hot spell gets over. It's the same thing we see every season. Start off slow, finally get a grip on the car by mid season, win a few races towards the mid/end of the season due to Merc misfortune/altitude problems for other teams/having the genuinely fastest race car. By that time Merc have been turning it down and preparing for next season for the entire second half or quarter of the season. Then claim ending season with best chassis etc etc we will challenge them from Melbourne next year..rinse and repeat.

holeindalip

F1Krof wrote:
holeindalip wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

We will see, they were slowing down for full throttle corners in silverstone because of the blistering, I don’t see it being an issue at further venues because the engineers went over board to take stress off the front tires to prevent blow outs again.

holeindalip

Mchamilton wrote:
F1Krof wrote:
holeindalip wrote:

I’m sure they are already testing the waters for the upcoming ban to see how hard they can run in the race. If no issues with tires, prepare for an all out shellacking

zibby43

Morteza

Mercedes have added 3 vertical deflectors in front of the rear wheel

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

holeindalip

No gurney flap on the Mercedes and verstappens red bull anyways.....

zibby43

Via Matthew Somerfield, in relation to these photos:

“Also note what appears to be bulkier sidepod bodywork and a larger cooling outlet at the rear of the car.”

holeindalip

zibby43 wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 02:53

“Also note what appears to be bulkier sidepod bodywork and a larger cooling outlet at the rear of the car.”
Do you have a side by side comparison, they look the same to me...

zibby43

holeindalip wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 05:50
zibby43 wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 02:53

Do you have a side by side comparison, they look the same to me...
I definitely agree that we do in fact need a good side-by-side. I didn't catch any changes myself when I initially saw the photos here, but Somers has a pretty darn good eye.

dans79

I have a feeling it's an optical illusion or a slight tweak to the paint scheme!
197 104 103 7

zibby43

Revised bargeboards on the W11 for Spa.

These are usually a pretty potent upgrade. An area of the car ripe for development:

via @NicolasF1i

Last time Merc overhauled the bargeboards in Barcelona '19 on the W10, they gained about 0.3s worth of performance: https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/repo ... rix-report
Last edited by zibby43 on 28 Aug 2020, 09:32, edited 2 times in total.