[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
erudite450
erudite450

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Unf wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 16:46
Bottas: "We have one push no?"
"We do but we agreed not to use it against each other"
Bottas: "I never heard of that"

:D :D
How about Mercedes telling Hamilton to stay off the kerbs in Spielberg? A clear message not to race Bottas. I don't expect an answer from you as you only pick and choose the scenarios that suit your fictional narrative.

Wass85
Wass85

erudite450 wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 17:59
Unf wrote:

How about Mercedes telling Hamilton to stay off the kerbs in Spielberg? A clear message not to race Bottas. I don't expect an answer from you as you only pick and choose the scenarios that suit your fictional narrative.
Tbf both drivers were told that unless you're saying they were making a problem up?

Another masterclass from the team today, I thought they were going to get swamped at the start but the delta in top speed wasn't as big as I feared.

erudite450
erudite450

Wass85 wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 18:03
erudite450 wrote:
Unf wrote:

Tbf both drivers were told that unless you're saying they were making a problem up?

Another masterclass from the team today, I thought they were going to get swamped at the start but the delta in top speed wasn't as big as I feared.
Just as they must have told Hamilton not to use the push button to race Bottas in this race. Valtteri saying that's not the case is just him trying to make himself feel better.

Unf

erudite450 wrote:
Unf wrote:

They both being said that stay away from cerbs. Both, dude.
But I have a question - how is it possible that Bottas hasn't ever heard about this inner-team rule, hugh? How?!

e30ernest
e30ernest

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15178 ... o-exchange

But of course, it has to be more fantastical than that right?

dans79

e30ernest wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 02:40
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15178 ... o-exchange

But of course, it has to be more fantastical than that right?
Sounds about right. Merc didn't get to where they are now, by ignoring the competition behind. For example,

For example, I'm pretty sure Red bull put albon on the mediums today for his second stint, to ensure he stayed within the Mercedes pit window for as long as possible thus forcing them into a one-stop strategy, or requiring them to overtake him on track.
197 104 103 7

Jolle
Jolle

Where is all this almost hatred towards Bottas coming from? I think he’s a perfect teammate for Hamilton. And Hamilton, after all the rivals he had next to him in the same car. With his status consistency and accomplishments he finally doesn’t need to look over his shoulder in the team.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Jolle wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 11:36
Where is all this almost hatred towards Bottas coming from? I think he’s a perfect teammate for Hamilton. And Hamilton, after all the rivals he had next to him in the same car. With his status consistency and accomplishments he finally doesn’t need to look over his shoulder in the team.
In order for people to denigrate Hamilton's performance, they first have to make Bottas look rubbish, a lapdog etc.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Moore77

Just_a_fan wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 12:05
Jolle wrote:
In order for people to denigrate Hamilton's performance, they first have to make Bottas look rubbish, a lapdog etc.
In order for people to glorify Hamilton's performance, they first have to make Bottas look good, an equal competitor etc.

The guy got outqualified by half a second in Belgium, by more than a second in a wet Styrian GP. Can't keep up with Hamilton once he is ahead. Fluffs the starts, despite having a comfortable second position to then lose two GPs. Despite having a dominant car, is still behind Verstappen.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Moore77 wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 12:08
Just_a_fan wrote:
Jolle wrote:
In order for people to glorify Hamilton's performance, they first have to make Bottas look good, an equal competitor etc.
The guy has beaten three World Champions in the same car. No one here needs to try to glorify his performances. :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Moore77

Just_a_fan wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 12:19
Moore77 wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 12:08
Just_a_fan wrote:

The guy has beaten three World Champions in the same car. No one here needs to try to glorify his performances. :wink:
Is there even an argument about Hamilton's potential here? People can get out of that hole. The word is about why Bottas is a lapdog and saying, Bottas is a competitive team mate to further enhance Hamilton's ALREADY ESTABLISHED potential. By which, Hamilton's victories and titles doesn't carry the same significance or just cake walk compared to that of 2008 or 2014/17.
Last edited by Moore77 on 31 Aug 2020, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.

Jolle
Jolle

Looking at the team and combination of Hamilton/Bottas is such an one dimensional way, is a bit silly. Hamilton thrives in a team that is build with trust, from all sides. Bottas, Hamilton and the team have clearly a working relation that they work as a big team and then maximise the team result. No hidden agendas, no backstabbing, no witholding information, no games, etc.

Hamilton thrives because of Bottas, not despite him. You see the same thing at RedBull at the moment, Verstappen and Albon both working on improving the car. I expect that we'll see the same thing at Ferrari next year.

That both Hamilton and Verstappen have a clear advantage on track over their teammates makes this team dynamic natural.

A good way to measure it might be team mate crashes. Vettel and Leclerc had a few now, so did Verstappen and Ricciardo and Hamilton Rosberg, Vettel Webber and Hamilton and Button even. I can't see Hamilton and Bottas crashing, despite they are wheel to wheel trough the first corner almost every weekend.

Moore77

Jolle wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 12:24
Looking at the team and combination of Hamilton/Bottas is such an one dimensional way, is a bit silly. Hamilton thrives in a team that is build with trust, from all sides. Bottas, Hamilton and the team have clearly a working relation that they work as a big team and then maximise the team result. No hidden agendas, no backstabbing, no witholding information, no games, etc.

Hamilton thrives because of Bottas, not despite him. You see the same thing at RedBull at the moment, Verstappen and Albon both working on improving the car. I expect that we'll see the same thing at Ferrari next year.

That both Hamilton and Verstappen have a clear advantage on track over their teammates makes this team dynamic natural.

A good way to measure it might be team mate crashes. Vettel and Leclerc had a few now, so did Verstappen and Ricciardo and Hamilton Rosberg, Vettel Webber and Hamilton and Button even. I can't see Hamilton and Bottas crashing, despite they are wheel to wheel trough the first corner almost every weekend.
So you agree having a good, slow team mate helps the better driver and the team! That's all others are saying.

Jolle
Jolle

Moore77 wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 12:27
Jolle wrote:

So you agree having a good, slow team mate helps the better driver and the team! That's all others are saying.
No, he performs even better without inner team rivalries. If you look at pure speed, Bottas and Rosberg are quite comparable. Rosberg just played every trick in the book to put Hamilton off balance, making the working relation unhealthy and destructive.

Moore77

Jolle wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 12:40
Moore77 wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 12:27
Jolle wrote:

No, he performs even better without inner team rivalries. If you look at pure speed, Bottas and Rosberg are quite comparable. Rosberg just played every trick in the book to put Hamilton off balance, making the working relation unhealthy and destructive.
Bottas is a good guy, who doesn't play every trick in the book to put Hamilton off balance, making the working relationship healthy and constructive. Fast, but not fast enough and also doesn't mind when the team makes a decision to let Hamilton through or use like a 'Wingman'. That good atmosphere lets Hamilton drive without any headaches. This is a more civilized definition of saying, Bottas is a lapdog.