2020 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, August 28 - 30

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Zynerji

Re: 2020 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, August 28 - 30

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 05:21
Zynerji wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 01:28
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
29 Aug 2020, 18:46

A "great racing engine" that will consume 3x as much fuel as now requiring refueling which has already been proven to be detrimental to the on track product. All for what ? Loud annoying noise? No thanks.
I've recently found the Vortec 3700 L5 engine, and I'm in love.

DOHC finger-follower, 3.7L, VVT, flat-plane V10 sound, in a super compact block. If driven at 15000rpm, would give around 900HP.

I can't believe I overlooked such a plentiful and cheap Chevy engine before.
From what I remember, it was a poorly made engine that had hot spots and head warping. Long stroke, not conducive to high rpm.
The 3500 suffered from that in the first generation, they solved those issues with the 3700 update. I'm also reading that the oem titanium rods from the LS7 fit with some small machining.

Zynerji

JordanFiveOh wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 03:54
Zynerji wrote:
ENGINE TUNER wrote:

A "great racing engine" that will consume 3x as much fuel as now requiring refueling which has already been proven to be detrimental to the on track product. All for what ? Loud annoying noise? No thanks.

DOHC finger-follower, 3.7L, VVT, flat-plane V10 sound, in a super compact block. If driven at 15000rpm, would give around 900HP.

I’m FAR from a GM fan, but I agree, this engine is a treat!
I have a beautiful RX8 with the obligatory blown apex seals. I think I found my swap.

Moore77

Another moment of dirty driving by Perez.

Gasly talking about the incident.
"I honestly thought we were on the wall by now. I'm not kidding, I was attached to the wall. I couldn't move anymore. And at one point we were going at 280-300 km / h".

"Sergio really crushed me and it seemed like he didn't want to give up. We were really close to the wall. Sergio is a tough rider, I knew that. My heart rate was accelerated and it went a bit further when he started to squeeze me." .
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

Restomaniac

Moore77 wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 15:52

"I honestly thought we were on the wall by now. I'm not kidding, I was attached to the wall. I couldn't move anymore. And at one point we were going at 280-300 km / h".

"Sergio really crushed me and it seemed like he didn't want to give up. We were really close to the wall. Sergio is a tough rider, I knew that. My heart rate was accelerated and it went a bit further when he started to squeeze me." .
That was my take too. It was Estaban ‘back out or I’m putting you in the wall’ Ocon all over again.

dren

Raikkonen beat both Ferrari cars in that Alfa. Ouch
Honda!

sosic2121

Restomaniac wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 16:07
Moore77 wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 15:52

That was my take too. It was Estaban ‘back out or I’m putting you in the wall’ Ocon all over again.
Perez always was very dirty driver.

ENGINE TUNER

Zynerji wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 15:42
JordanFiveOh wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 03:54
Zynerji wrote:

I’m FAR from a GM fan, but I agree, this engine is a treat!
I have a beautiful RX8 with the obligatory blown apex seals. I think I found my swap.
What a waste, LS swap is the way to go, or fix the apex seals and get the supercharger for the rotary and run E85.

NathanOlder

Or maybe Perez left him a cars width +2mm.
In all seriousness though, it was very close to a huge accident, luckily it was perfect and both drivers went through unscathed.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Wass85

NathanOlder wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 16:43
In all seriousness though, it was very close to a huge accident, luckily it was perfect and both drivers went through unscathed.
Yet Schumacher got punished for it, nice to see the consistency then.

ENGINE TUNER

Nathanael F1 wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 01:39
ringo wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 01:13
Schuttelberg wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 19:51

He is putting a spin on things to protect his legacy. Bottas is nowhere near him. The delta between the Mercedes and the Red Bull is so big that even a perfect Verstappen can't prevent front row lockouts and 1-2 sweeps.

As far as Albon is concerned, he has more talent and racing vigour in his little finger than Bottas and he would have had a win and a podium by now if Hamilton didn't crash into him.

Albon and RedBull are also fighting the rest of the midfield and it's evident to even an idiot that the delta between RedBull and the midfield is smaller than the one between Mercedes and RedBull. A bad weekend for either Mercedes driver is P2 while Albon could easily finish 3rd or 8th if things really go south. Albon also hasn't been in F1 or a top team for umpteen years now. Verstappen is simply one of if not the best driver on the grid and he's getting the maximum out of a difficult car. Albon, will get there. At least, he will fight Verstappen a lot harder than Bottas vs Hamilton.

It is exactly this sort of interview that gets fans dawn the red mist. On Friday, it was going to be close with racing Point and Red Bull were quicker and on Sunday it's the second RedBull driver unable to participate in strategy fights. RedBull could have had P3-P6 today with the Alpha Tauri's as well and they were not touching the Mercedes. The only way Max had any hope of getting P2 was if he got those few hundredths in quali. Even then, I don't see him being able to hold Bottas behind considering the power in that Merc engine.

Mercedes got an easy 1-2 today with a wet set up. That says a lot. The fact that Verstappen is P2 in the classification is a testament to his talent and the heap of mediocrity that Bottas is.
Gross underestimation of Bottas. He seems faster than Rosberg both in qualifying and race pace. He may well faster than verstappen, you just do not have clue how competitive Bottas is. You make very bold claims about albon being better than Bottas. :lol:
We would need to see Bottas leave mercedes and race against a known quantity to gauge how good he is and how average hamilton was making him look.
Bottas faster than Rosberg? I don't think so.

Hamilton (2013-2016): 32 wins, 35 poles
Hamilton (2017-present): 36 wins, 32 poles

Rosberg (2013-2016): 22 wins, 29 poles

Bottas (2017-present): 8 wins, 13 poles

From 2013-2016, Hamilton had 59.2% of Mercedes wins and 54.7% of Mercedes poles.
From 2017-present, Hamilton has had 81.8% of Mercedes wins and 71.1% of Mercedes poles.

Rosberg was much closer to Hamilton than Bottas is.
Put down your calculator and watch the races. Most of the ROS poles and wins happened when HAM had mechanical issues, Merc have much better reliability now than they did when ROS was driving.

PlatinumZealot

Zynerji wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 15:42

That giant truck engine wont fit into your RX-8 without serious mods and spoiled handling.
It humoungous even alongside a 2JZ which is already huge.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Just_a_fan

Wass85 wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 16:57
NathanOlder wrote:
Rightly so too. The only thing that prevented a huge accident was that the wall that Schumacher was squeezing Barrichello towards ended just before contact would have been made. It was an extremely dangerous move by Schumacher and entirely in the on-track character of the man.

I called out Perez's squeeze earlier in the thread. It was a bit naughty but nowhere near as dangerous as Schumacher's, that's for sure.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 01:28
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 17:59

Cosworth V12 for everybody. =D>

They already built a nice 3.9L 65-degree V12 for Gordon Murray Automotive, with 653 @ 11,500rpm with 60,000 mile rebuild interval.

Put pneumatic valves on it, up the rev limit to make 1020hp @ 18,000rpm, lower the rebuild interval to 5,000 miles (obviously strengthening the bottom end as appropriate) and you have yourself a great racing engine. :D

How much re-engineering would be required to get it to rev reliably to 15k, or even just to rev to 15k at all without turning in to a lump of scrap?

Wass85

Just_a_fan wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 17:18
Wass85 wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
Rightly so too. The only thing that prevented a huge accident was that the wall that Schumacher was squeezing Barrichello towards ended just before contact would have been made. It was an extremely dangerous move by Schumacher and entirely in the on-track character of the man.

I called out Perez's squeeze earlier in the thread. It was a bit naughty but nowhere near as dangerous as Schumacher's, that's for sure.
It was just as dirty if you want to call it that, at least Schumacher had the excuse of Barrichello being behind him whereas Perez was squeezing him in to the wall when he knew he was beside him.

Just_a_fan

Wass85 wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 17:23
Just_a_fan wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 17:18
Wass85 wrote:

It was just as dirty if you want to call it that, at least Schumacher had the excuse of Barrichello being behind him whereas Perez was squeezing him in to the wall when he knew he was beside him.
Schumacher had no excuse. He knew what he was doing and he knew that Rubens had a decent over speed on him. It was a simple, ugly, bully-boy attempt to scare the --- out of Rubens to keep him behind. If the wall had been a few metres longer, it would have a been two-car version of Kubica's Canada crash.