2020 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, August 28 - 30

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Wass85

Re: 2020 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, August 28 - 30

Just_a_fan wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 17:28
Wass85 wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 17:23
Just_a_fan wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 17:18

Rightly so too. The only thing that prevented a huge accident was that the wall that Schumacher was squeezing Barrichello towards ended just before contact would have been made. It was an extremely dangerous move by Schumacher and entirely in the on-track character of the man.

I called out Perez's squeeze earlier in the thread. It was a bit naughty but nowhere near as dangerous as Schumacher's, that's for sure.
It was just as dirty if you want to call it that, at least Schumacher had the excuse of Barrichello being behind him whereas Perez was squeezing him in to the wall when he knew he was beside him.
Schumacher had no excuse. He knew what he was doing and he knew that Rubens had a decent over speed on him. It was a simple, ugly, bully-boy attempt to scare the --- out of Rubens to keep him behind. If the wall had been a few metres longer, it would have a been two-car version of Kubica's Canada crash.
No excuse but don't see how that's any different to Perez?

Just_a_fan

Wass85 wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 17:39
Just_a_fan wrote:
Wass85 wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 17:23

It was just as dirty if you want to call it that, at least Schumacher had the excuse of Barrichello being behind him whereas Perez was squeezing him in to the wall when he knew he was beside him.
Schumacher had no excuse. He knew what he was doing and he knew that Rubens had a decent over speed on him. It was a simple, ugly, bully-boy attempt to scare the --- out of Rubens to keep him behind. If the wall had been a few metres longer, it would have a been two-car version of Kubica's Canada crash.
a. It was different.

b. I called out against Perez at the time saying I thought it was dangerous.

Reviewing both videos now, Schumacher's squeeze was worse. Perez squeezed but left just enough room. Schumacher just barrelled across and it was only the end of the wall being where it was that prevented a massive accident. A few more feet of wall and it was an aircraft crash.

In fact, Schumacher's move is reminiscent of Rosberg's that took him and Hamilton out in 2016.

At least Schumacher apologised after his move, although I seem to remember it didn't feel heartfelt at the time.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Schuttelberg

Wass85 wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 16:57
NathanOlder wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 16:43
Or maybe Perez left him a cars width +2mm.
In all seriousness though, it was very close to a huge accident, luckily it was perfect and both drivers went through unscathed.
Yet Schumacher got punished for it, nice to see the consistency then.
I would not really compare stewarding decisions between years. Specially that many years. Everyone talks about Multi-21 in isolation but the wheel to wheel racing between the Bulls that day was amazing to watch barring that one moment where Mark almost put Sebastian in the wall.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

ENGINE TUNER

nevill3 wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 11:21
Albon suffered this week due to putting on the wrong tyre, when asked about it Horner said that if you don't try something different you just get the same so they deliberately gave Albon a sub optimal strategy despite him having a new set of hard tyres available.
That is partly due to his not being confident enough to advance through q2 on the medium tire, although the safety car practically reset the race for almost everyone.

Wass85

Just_a_fan wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 17:49
Wass85 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

a. It was different.

Reviewing both videos now, Schumacher's squeeze was worse. Perez squeezed but left just enough room. Schumacher just barrelled across and it was only the end of the wall being where it was that prevented a massive accident. A few more feet of wall and it was an aircraft crash.

In fact, Schumacher's move is reminiscent of Rosberg's that took him and Hamilton out in 2016.

At least Schumacher apologised after his move, although I seem to remember it didn't feel heartfelt at the time.
There was enough room for RB or else they would have crashed, if you look MS pulls away when he realises he's stepped over the mark.

ENGINE TUNER

El Scorchio wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 11:36
Moore77 wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 11:20
Unc1eM0nty wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 22:50

He's stating the obvious isn't he ?

Untill Red Bull can get both cars right up behind the Merc's they can't apply any real pressure, Max can't do this on his own, Red Bull are always outnumbered, simple as.
Red Bull are currently in the Honda MotoGP ally. Just like Marquez, no one else can bring them results. They don't want to build a car like Mercedes do, which is build the car that simply works for any driver and not bias it to the needs of one driver. Last year's Mercedes had an induced under steer to treat the rear tyres, which wasn't particularly helping Hamilton in qualifying as he likes oversteery cars to throw in the corners. The designers and engineers need to have a strong sense of what is the right direction to go, instead of being lead by a driver. It's the same mistake that Ferrari does by building car to one driver and the other one with a contrasting style suffers badly. It's not like Albon is a bad driver, it's just that the car is quite far designed to suit one driver's preference and it doesn't respond to his needs. Same thing happened to Gasly and he seems to be in happy space with that Alpha Tauri.

Similar thing happened to Jorge Lorenzo when he boarded that Honda bike.

Strong drivers like Schumacher, Alonso, Hamilton and Max can quickly get adjusted to any car. So it's fundamental for the designers and engineers to listen more to the other driver to understand the draw backs of the car and build it right. Unless that happens, Ferrari and Red Bull will always be one car team and suffer in fight against a strong two car team!
Yup. This is their problem. They need to focus on and take into account the needs of both drivers rather than just one of them. If they continue to build cars just to suit how Max likes to drive them no team mate is going to be able to help him out. It seems clear to me as you say that neither Albon or Gasly is able to drive to their potential in that car. You only have to look at comparative results in the AT cars to realise that.
Wrong, they need to make the fastest car possible and the drivers need to adapt. HAM and VER extract the most speed out of the car for the most part and under any conditions and car behaviors. Hire the right engineers and the right drivers and let them do their jobs.

Moore77

Just_a_fan wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 17:49
Wass85 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

a. It was different.

Except for berating Schumacher, nothing stands out in this post. Perez is a serial offender, just like Magnussen. Having done exactly that, if a driver repeats it, he is the most dangerous driver to have on the grid. Not just that it makes it far more dangerous, it's outright inhuman to repeat it against another young driver. It could easily damage the career of a driver.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

NathanOlder

Looking back at both incidents, Perez left about 1.9m to the white line, Schumacher left about 1.9cm to the white line. So in reality , Perez left 100 times more room on the race track than Schumacher did. Thats pretty much a fact.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Moore77

NathanOlder wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 18:08
Looking back at both incidents, Perez left about 1.9m to the white line, Schumacher left about 1.9cm to the white line. So in reality , Perez left 100 times more room on the race track than Schumacher did. Thats pretty much a fact.
Oh wow. Who was there holding a measurement tape? How? Looking at a video? This is the dumbest post one could read.

NathanOlder

Moore77 wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 18:12
NathanOlder wrote:
Oh wow. Who was there holding a measurement tape? How? Looking at a video? This is the dumbest post one could read.
Well schumacher goes right up to the white line. So basically 0 space left. Gasly just touches the white line, so about 99% of a cars width. So are you telling me that Schumacher left enough room ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Zynerji

PlatinumZealot wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 17:10
Zynerji wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 15:42

I have a beautiful RX8 with the obligatory blown apex seals. I think I found my swap.
That giant truck engine wont fit into your RX-8 without serious mods and spoiled handling.
It humoungous even alongside a 2JZ which is already huge.
My tape measure says differently.

Are you speculating, or have you measured it differently than me? :?:

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 17:20
Zynerji wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 01:28
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
29 Aug 2020, 18:46

A "great racing engine" that will consume 3x as much fuel as now requiring refueling which has already been proven to be detrimental to the on track product. All for what ? Loud annoying noise? No thanks.
I've recently found the Vortec 3700 L5 engine, and I'm in love.

DOHC finger-follower, 3.7L, VVT, flat-plane V10 sound, in a super compact block. If driven at 15000rpm, would give around 900HP.

I can't believe I overlooked such a plentiful and cheap Chevy engine before.
How much re-engineering would be required to get it to rev reliably to 15k, or even just to rev to 15k at all without turning in to a lump of scrap?
Lighter components and a fluidampr get these over 10K in home garages. I guess I was thinking that it would need some re-engineering for a full race build. Just like every single other OEM engine that is built to race. :roll:

Moore77

NathanOlder wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 18:24
Moore77 wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 18:12
NathanOlder wrote:
Well schumacher goes right up to the white line. So basically 0 space left. Gasly just touches the white line, so about 99% of a cars width. So are you telling me that Schumacher left enough room ?
More than a car's width. Way more space than Hamilton ever left to Massa in 2011 on so many occasions.
Last edited by Moore77 on 31 Aug 2020, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.

NathanOlder

Not to the edge of the track. (thats the white line in case you didn't know) the wall isn't the edge of the track.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Moore77

NathanOlder wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 18:42
Not to the edge of the track. (thats the white line in case you didn't know) the wall isn't the edge of the track.
Barrichello was never fully alongside and could clearly see the gap was diminshing. Perez on the other hand was well alongside when started to move over to right. Basic difference. Barrichello could have pulled out from the overtaking move to avoid and Gasly couldn't have. Remove those hatred glasses and you could see reality well.

This was the first time when Barrichello came alongside Schumacher and he could see the gap was diminshing.
This was the first time when Gasly came alongside. He had every right to go for the move and expect Perez to leave room.

Last edited by Moore77 on 31 Aug 2020, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.