2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
F1NAC

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

falonso81 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 17:24
Reverse grid idea is crap. Just put Hamilton at the back of the grid haflway into the race!
Just close the pitlane during SC like in 2008.

zibby43
zibby43

djones wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 17:19
Juzh wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 17:16
Without a shadow of doubt TD hit mercedes hard. Not in quali but in race they're very much not flying past people as they used to. Bottas stuck behind lando for the entire race just hovering on ~1s gap and even hamilton had to work hard for most of those overtakes against cars multiple seconds slower than him. Would never have happened before TD. It seems they also decided on a mode too powerful for quali and then couldnt cool the car enough trough the race.
Were we watching the same race?

Mercedes was very fast in qual and even more so in the race. Their car was setup for downforce as they expected to be up front, not overtaking cars.

Did you not see Hamilton up front until the safety car? Utter dominance and he was driving slowly to save the car.
Agreed. Hamilton was lapping 1.5s faster than the entire field near the end.

He had a gap of 16s on Sainz pretty early.

It was a hot race, and the Mercs were set up to lead and protect the tires in clean air.

Nathanael F1
Nathanael F1

What a race! So happy for Gasly, Sainz, and Stroll. They all drove brilliantly! I can't believe Gasly actually did it...amazing!!
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

jz11 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 17:23
djones wrote:
Juzh wrote:
Without a shadow of doubt TD hit mercedes hard. Not in quali but in race they're very much not flying past people as they used to. Bottas stuck behind lando for the entire race just hovering on ~1s gap and even hamilton had to work hard for most of those overtakes against cars multiple seconds slower than him. Would never have happened before TD. It seems they also decided on a mode too powerful for quali and then couldnt cool the car enough trough the race.

Mercedes was very fast in qual and even more so in the race. Their car was setup for downforce as they expected to be up front, not overtaking cars.

Did you not see Hamilton up front until the safety car? Utter dominance and he was driving slowly to save the car.
maybe Juzh is sitting on that committee that thought this engine mode ban up, now has to invent things to prove that it did what it was set out to do... :D
Exactly.

Lewis finished 22s off the lead, so clearly he had great pace.

Really hoping the changes down the pipeline clean up the wake and make it easier for cars to follow, as that is ultimately is what hurts the wheel to wheel racing.

Dr. Acula
Dr. Acula

Mattyw wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 17:17
Still can't work out the penalty (level) it wasn't deliberate and Ham didn't gain from it so was a 32 sec penalty fair?
10 seconds stop/go is simply the standard penalty for driving into a closed pit lane.
It doesn't matter if it was deliberate or not. If you drive over a red light and get caught, i guarantee you, you can't argue you way out with "oh, but i didn't it deliberatly." You drove over a red light and that's that. Doesn't matter why.

Shrieker

NathanOlder wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 17:24

What cars ?
Global Mazda.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Wass85
Wass85

Just think if Merc let Hamilton stay out instead of foolishly boxing him at the end of the first lap he may have got both Ricciardo and Bottas.

Shrieker

Wass85 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 17:28
Just think if Merc let Hamilton stay out instead of foolishly boxing him at the end of the first lap he may have got both Ricciardo and Bottas.
That surely would've changed nothing. He was in free air both before and after coming in.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Mattyw wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 17:23
Wass85 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 17:22
Just_a_fan wrote:

I think it's one that effectively written in to the rules. "Though shall not enter a closed pit lane".
Why the hell was a safety car activated instead of a virtual safety car?

If I were Merc I'd be having a few choice words with those numpties at race control.
I thought that.
1. Wheel it back under vsc
2. If you weren't gona do that, red flag instead of safety car then red flag
Not sure why Mag parked it there. It was rolling ok and he was at the pitlane entrance. Somewhat odd, although he was obviously hoping the marshall point would allow a simple retrieval - he wasn't to know it could be removed that way.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Shrieker wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 17:29
Wass85 wrote:
That surely would've changed nothing. He was in free air both before and after coming in.
Exactly.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Hoffman900 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 17:26
Exactly.

Lewis finished 22s off the lead, so clearly he had great pace.

Really hoping the changes down the pipeline clean up the wake and make it easier for cars to follow, as that is ultimately is what hurts the wheel to wheel racing.
I think it was 17s.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Juzh

djones wrote:
Juzh wrote:

Yeah I just watched a race where bottas couldnt pass a mclaren for 53 laps, unthinkable in previous regs even for Bottas. Mercedes always ran relatively high DF compared to rest of the grid and never had problems overtaking cars, literally almost never, especially not cars that are a second per lap slower.

NathanOlder

Wass85 wrote:
absolutely not ! pitting straight away was best option.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

djones
djones

Wass85 wrote:
Staying out for more laps changes nothing as he was at the back of the pack regardless.

There was a risk of another safety car (you cant take a penalty in that), so coming straight in was sensible.

e30ernest
e30ernest

Wow so good to see Gasly win this one. Good on him... Great comeback after being let go by Red Bull last year. Sainz did an amazing job as well. So close.... Stroll is turning me around. I wasn't a fan of his before, but his performances over this year is really making me feel like he deserves his seat at Racing Point.