2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ispano6

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 23:20
ispano6 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 22:46
El Scorchio wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 19:10
Yes but again WHY did some deserve good karma and some deserve bad karma? This is what is not being understood?
There is no why, there just is. Good Karma came from diligence and Bad Karma from arrogance.
But what is a good or bad outcome is entirely subjective. Thus karma is subjective.
Again, it's Sanskrit, the word is not subjective. It's actually quite precise. The good and bad part, that is subjective. For some, today's outcome was bad, and for others, today's outcome was good.

Below is an excellent video describing Sanskrit and also the word Karma. There is much wisdom to be learned here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxzXxQrX2Mc
Last edited by ispano6 on 06 Sep 2020, 23:40, edited 3 times in total.

Wass85
Wass85

Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 23:29
Wass85 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 23:10
Hamilton did receive 2 penalty points on his licence for the incident.
I don't understand why the two drivers got penalty points. The highest in-race penalty available, short of DSQ, was imposed and they get points too. Points should be for things like deliberately hitting others cars, causing crashes, etc., not procedural faux pas.
They are the gift that keeps on giving, a joke of a system.

Doesn't Hamilton lose some points in November? He needs to keep his nose clean and the team needs to sort themselves out.

matt_b
matt_b

jz11 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 23:01
are you suggesting that the pit wall had no idea the pit lane is closed?

yet McLaren had no problem noticing this...

edit: can't remember if commentators said it or someone here wrote that it was 12 seconds between the pit closure notice and Ham entering pits
The next McLaren was 15 seconds behind Lewis when the SC deployed so team had more time to realise and communicate, that is the same reason why Bottas didn't come into the pits, they simply had more time.

Would've been interesting to see what would've happened if they were all in a train on Lewis' gearbox, I think many would've boxed but we will never know.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ESPImperium wrote:

Mercedes have issues, issues in following other cars, when in low downforce, they seem to add more on, great for Qualifying, not great for the race unless they are in clean air out the front.

And yet Hamilton caught, followed, and passed more than half the field. He was driving close behind them in the Parabolica at 150mph+ for example. Maybe Monza is an unusual track in this regard, but Hamilton was definitely able to race.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

nacho
nacho

I think mercedes didnt take tows in qualy because they already knew its gonna cook the engine

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

nacho wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 23:42
I think mercedes didnt take tows in qualy because they already knew its gonna cook the engine
In one lap? No way. If that was the case, Bottas's engine would have being a molten puddle on the track by lap 5. :roll:

piast9
piast9

Just_a_fan wrote:
Wass85 wrote:
I don't understand why the two drivers got penalty points. The highest in-race penalty available, short of DSQ, was imposed and they get points too. Points should be for things like deliberately hitting others cars, causing crashes, etc., not procedural faux pas.
The driver essentially did run the red light showing that the pit-lane entry is closed. Is that not severe enough? You gen penalty points as a driver if you run a red light at the intersection as well even if it was not intentional but just the driver was not paying attention.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

piast9 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 23:56
Just_a_fan wrote:
Wass85 wrote:
The driver essentially did run the red light showing that the pit-lane entry is closed. Is that not severe enough? You gen penalty points as a driver if you run a red light at the intersection as well even if it was not intentional but just the driver was not paying attention.
The drivers got a large penalty - the largest they can get in-race other than a black flag.

Penalties applied to road driving are not relevant.

piast9
piast9

Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 00:13

The drivers got a large penalty - the largest they can get in-race other than a black flag.

Why not? It is a safety issue the same as in the road driving. Red lights at the pit lane entry and exit are not for kicks and giggles.

Sevach
Sevach

Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 23:50
nacho wrote:
In one lap? No way. If that was the case, Bottas's engine would have being a molten puddle on the track by lap 5. :roll:
Yeah i don't think so either, but they definitely played it aggressive with cooling/mapping.

Sieper

Clean stable air was worth more I guess. And they could afford taking that. It also prevented last years shenanigans.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

piast9 wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 00:21
Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 00:13

Why not? It is a safety issue the same as in the road driving. Red lights at the pit lane entry and exit are not for kicks and giggles.
It's not the same as the public road. That's obvious to all.

Public road penalties are not relevant to the track anymore than track penalties are relevant to the road. "Hey, officer, I'll take a 10 second stop and go penalty for running the red light". Don't think so, do you?

A penalty was already applied in the form of a demotion to the back of the field.

Sieper

Licence points always accompany a punishment. Just how it goes.Otherwise, do away with that system. It is too “help” people adhere.

It’s just been too long Ago the previous time the pitlane was closed. People easily forget what to do. Even a top team. No warning at all to Lewis. Just like last year Mexico when RBR failed to get on the radio to Max to say yellow abort lap, pole is safe. They had like 30 seconds back then. Nothing. This time around they had less time, but still, as soon as the pitlane is closed the race engineer should come on the radio. Pit closed, stay out.

And yes, the drivers themselves should also remain vigilant. They are top class in a professional series. We can think of excuses, and that’s also fine to do, but better not do that. Swallow the pill, learn from it and internalize it for the next race.

ispano6

Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 23:50
nacho wrote:
It might have been if they didn't change out the body work during the red flag.

PlatinumZealot

Moore77 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 16:19
With almost no chance to even finish in top 10, shouldn't Hamilton simply retire and save his PU and live another day? All cars are slippery and he has no chance to clear them.
Lewis is no ordinary driver. He is the GOAT! Lol
I kid. Was a great drive. He passed much slower cars and leveraged his tyres by time he caught the mid pack who were in dirty air all the time.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏