Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
DChemTech
DChemTech

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

holeindalip wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 13:13
DChemTech wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 11:44
Scorpaguy wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 03:49
Does anyone know his reputation? Is he a good kid or a bit of a diva? When he and Hulk were left high/dry...there was certainly a lot of calls begging for him to have a drive...I never heard him say anything that reeked of entitlement. I really only remember the Max passing/wrecking incident and how he positively melted when Max confronted him.
Based on what we've seen of him (some clashes with Perez & the Max incident mostly), I cannot help but have the impression that he is a bit of a psychological bully. The type of person that throws around little stingy comments, trying to provoke the other, and when the other party responds he plays all innocent while the other party gets the blame. That was very clear with the Max incident. When Max took the bait after the race, Ocon just stood there smirking, and it worked - Max got penalized for the post-race incident, Ocon got away. It very much reminded me of some early high school days, where you always have those types that can do nothing wrong in the eyes of the teachers/rest of the world, but straight up terrorize some other students. Admittedly, I have shown some of that behavior in those days, perhaps that's why it resonates in case of Ocon now.

On the other hand, Peter Windsor once berated me for commenting something of the like below a youtube video discussing the incident - he says Ocon is an honest and good kid. Maybe he's right, he gets closer than most of us for sure. On the other hand, maybe he just fell for the trick as well. Most people do. I guess I'm not the one to judge either way - but personally, I'm not too impressed with Ocon based on what we do see publicly.
Well max asked him wait he was doing and and ocon told him he was faster than him, max proceeded to push ocon around. In my view max was in the wrong on the track and off.

What you say maybe true but, when a lot of kids look up to you, and you go around pushing people after the race acting like child. Which one looks better to the general public and everyone watching?
I am not going to discuss who was at fault, because that is actually largely irrelevant to what I mean to say.
Regardless of who's fault the incident was, there were several ways Ocon could have dealt with Max approaching him. He could have said something like "That was not supposed to happen, let's talk about it later". Or "You did deserve to win that race", or whatever, without admitting guilt, and without even stating to regret the move. Doing so, he could have taken an empathizing posture, because regardless of who was at fault, he must understand it sucks to see a race ruined. Yet he chose not to. He chose to rub it in ("I was faster than you"), and to do so with a provoking smirk, right after the race, to an historical rival. Again, talking from some experience, I am not surprised Max took the bait, and I am inclined to think Ocon's actions were intentional. Max's action was stupid, but understandable.

And which one looks better to the general public? I am actually inclined to say Max's. I would say it's more of a human than a childish response - I am sure 90% of the general public would have responded in the same way. Sure, he's in a exemplary role, and his actions as such were stupid and the penalty just. Most of that public probably don't pick up on what, in my view, Ocon was doing. But to the ones that do it just once again shows that one can easily get away with nasty provocations, and that's a more worrying signal than trying to give someone a push, in my view. If the FIA was just, both should have been punished for their role in escalating - not just the party that tried to get physical.

mem

Renault should ditch Ocon and get Gasly as lead driver for Alpine he has the privilege of wining f1 race and he is young good driver obviously french , better for him of being Max wing man or stay at SAT.

holeindalip
holeindalip

DChemTech wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 14:06
holeindalip wrote:
DChemTech wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 11:44

Based on what we've seen of him (some clashes with Perez & the Max incident mostly), I cannot help but have the impression that he is a bit of a psychological bully. The type of person that throws around little stingy comments, trying to provoke the other, and when the other party responds he plays all innocent while the other party gets the blame. That was very clear with the Max incident. When Max took the bait after the race, Ocon just stood there smirking, and it worked - Max got penalized for the post-race incident, Ocon got away. It very much reminded me of some early high school days, where you always have those types that can do nothing wrong in the eyes of the teachers/rest of the world, but straight up terrorize some other students. Admittedly, I have shown some of that behavior in those days, perhaps that's why it resonates in case of Ocon now.

On the other hand, Peter Windsor once berated me for commenting something of the like below a youtube video discussing the incident - he says Ocon is an honest and good kid. Maybe he's right, he gets closer than most of us for sure. On the other hand, maybe he just fell for the trick as well. Most people do. I guess I'm not the one to judge either way - but personally, I'm not too impressed with Ocon based on what we do see publicly.
Well max asked him wait he was doing and and ocon told him he was faster than him, max proceeded to push ocon around. In my view max was in the wrong on the track and off.

What you say maybe true but, when a lot of kids look up to you, and you go around pushing people after the race acting like child. Which one looks better to the general public and everyone watching?
I am not going to discuss who was at fault, because that is actually largely irrelevant to what I mean to say.
Regardless of who's fault the incident was, there were several ways Ocon could have dealt with Max approaching him. He could have said something like "That was not supposed to happen, let's talk about it later". Or "You did deserve to win that race", or whatever, without admitting guilt, and without even stating to regret the move. Doing so, he could have taken an empathizing posture, because regardless of who was at fault, he must understand it sucks to see a race ruined. Yet he chose not to. He chose to rub it in ("I was faster than you"), and to do so with a provoking smirk, right after the race, to an historical rival. Again, talking from some experience, I am not surprised Max took the bait, and I am inclined to think Ocon's actions were intentional. Max's action was stupid, but understandable.

And which one looks better to the general public? I am actually inclined to say Max's. I would say it's more of a human than a childish response - I am sure 90% of the general public would have responded in the same way. Sure, he's in a exemplary role, and his actions as such were stupid and the penalty just. Most of that public probably don't pick up on what, in my view, Ocon was doing. But to the ones that do it just once again shows that one can easily get away with nasty provocations, and that's a more worrying signal than trying to give someone a push, in my view. If the FIA was just, both should have been punished for their role in escalating - not just the party that tried to get physical.
Don’t argue with me because I don’t know who was right either 😂😂😂😂

But Max should have never even confronted him in that position, cool down and come back when your heads right.... he reminds me of being just like his hot headed dad....

DChemTech
DChemTech

holeindalip wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 15:23
DChemTech wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 14:06
holeindalip wrote:

Don’t argue with me because I don’t know who was right either 😂😂😂😂

But Max should have never even confronted him in that position, cool down and come back when your heads right.... he reminds me of being just like his hot headed dad....
I do agree with that last part, yeah. It would have been better if he calmed down first. Not too much of a fan of Max's attitude in that respect either; a bit too boorish for my taste. Makes one wonder what they would have been up to had they not been properly capable of drive a car around very, very fast.

NathanOlder

Looks like Perez seat is safe. No to Seb.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/67812/ra ... plink=balk

Plus Mick Schumacher is getting a run out this friday in an Alfa or a Haas

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/67809/rt ... inarticle3
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Unless RedBull is going to shock-replace Albon with Vettel, that would mean Seb is going to take a Sebattical.

It is a very potent outcome though, Albon is definately not performing like the car is 'worth'. Max is having issues too but even then, Alex is lacking. As for Gasly, done good, sure, and sure, he has won the Monza GP, but let's be honest here, that was complete and utter luck. I know 'ifs' make no sense, but Sainz only needed 1 more lap to pass Gasly, and it were the Mclarens @ Monza that had honest performance, not the Tauri's. If Lewis hadn't entered the pits when it was closed, he would have won no matter what. Yes he would have had to make a stop but things would have turned out different. Also, the only reason Gasly won was because Stroll hacked up the restart. Stroll should have won over Gasly. Yes, I concider Gasly better than Stroll, but still, that doesn't mean Gasly now should get a RB seat. After all, we're still talking about nothing but having luck.

Concider the last french GP winner, Panis in Monaco, which was only due to that all other competitive cars stranded, it was not on driving capacity or speed.

So to be fair, Monza GP to me means squad in whether Gasly would deserve a RBR seat.
As far as Monza for RBR seats, I only felt once again that Albon isn't worthy of a RBR seat, anymore than Bottas is for a Merc seat.

Since Albon's seat is up for grabs, there's still potential for Seb to cling that seat, and imho there is little doubt that Seb is always a better choice over Albon, Gasly or Kvyat. I also don't think Vettel would opt for Alfa Romeo. RedBull, his former home, atleast can give him a car that might hand him a win. Alfa surely can't.

However, I do wonder, it seems more and more likely Kvyat will have to make place for Tsunoda to drive for SAT, and I'm not so sure that SAT would ditch Gasly for Albon. At the same time, I doubt Albon would get ditched completely by the RBR controlled teams camp either.

So for 2021 it seems:

Hamilton & Bottas @ Mercedes
LeClerc & Sainz @ Ferrari
Alonso & Ocon @ Renault
Stroll & Perez @ Aston Martin
Ricciardo & Norris @ Mclaren
Russell & Latifi @ Williams

and open for change but possibly:

Vettel & Verstappen @ RedBull
Albon & Gasly @ Alpha Tauri
Raikkonen & Schumacher @ Alfa Romeo
Magnussen & Hulkenberg @ Haas

I chose Albon over Tsunoda for the 2021 season for two reasons:

1. I don't think Albon is 'done and dusted' yet. But I don't think he's really fit for the RBR seat.
2. Though there is 'pressure' to see Tsunoda debut in F1 in 2021, we will get a 2022 F1 revision completely. Imho, it makes more sense to let him debut in 2022.

For these two reasons, I think Tsunoda is going to get a few friday sessions at SAT. It will also leave SAT with a complete more season to judge on Albon, and compare him to Gasly, which will leave them the 'freedom' to pick from either driver to get the boot in favour of Tsunoda for 2022. Also though Honda seemingly is going to stay in F1, there's still some uncertainty, and then the question remains: why slam in a Honda driver if Honda is going
to perhaps leave?

Offcourse all of this is based upon the idea that Vettel will sign with RBR. If that doesn't happen, 100% sure Tsunoda will be @ SAT, and Albon stays @ RBR. Last option would be for RB to 'lease' Albon @ another team, perhaps HAAS would take them in. It surely would be an interesting financial deal for Haas.

Still, I think it makes little sense to slam Tsunoda in F1 at the last season of the current rules, so i really don't think that will happen. The only reason why i concider that different in the case of Mick Schumacher, is because Giovanazzi is crap, Ferrari as a whole is in a slum, and giving Schumi Jr. a race seat will be a popular and commercially gigantic improvement over Giovanazzi especially alongside Kimi, it would also give Mick a season to learn and adapt under interesting circumstances and then focus on performing in 2022. That way, there's also space and time for both Schumacher & Ferrari to improve their game and perhaps, if Mick is actually any good, see him move to Ferrari for the 2023 season, when Sainz' contract ends at the end of 2022. LeClerc has a contract iirc till the end of 2024,
so he won't be going elsewhere unless he has a fallout, and offcourse, he won't be exempt from getting a buyout.

Hence, the above list.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Morteza

Perez to leave Racing Point at the end of the season
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

MtthsMlw

So Vettel to RP/AM confirmed then.

bosyber
bosyber

NathanOlder wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 13:23

That aged well, right? So, keeps being true: the harder it is being specifically denied, the more likely it is there is truth to a rumour about drivers changes in F1?!

Baulz
Baulz

NathanOlder wrote:

How odd to have that Perez statement come out today, then get confirmation later he is leaving the team. I am not impressed with how Racing Point are going about this.

MtthsMlw

Baulz wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 21:14
NathanOlder wrote:

How odd to have that Perez statement come out today, then get confirmation later he is leaving the team. I am not impressed with how Racing Point are going about this.
This is from an AMuS interview with Szafnauer in Monza. Also the translation "So Sebastian Vettel is out? "He was never considered" is wrong.
Last edited by MtthsMlw on 09 Sep 2020, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.

Schuttelberg

Baulz wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 21:14
NathanOlder wrote:

If RP were being idiotic about this, they would have announced Vettel first. I don't understand the Stroll for Perez line. I guess, Vettel has made his bed. I don't see how he can even beat Stroll considering it's his team.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Racer X

NOW its official Sergio Perez is leaving Racing Point..
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

MtthsMlw

Racer X

People mentioning Perez and Ferrari is completely un realistic. Perez at Sauber or Haas maybe or even perhaps leaving the sport. EDIT if he does not get a seat with a Ferrari team.

But i just dont think its worth thinking Perez will be at Ferrari driver swaps dont happen so easily when you havent even looked at your new driver yet. Sainz will race at Ferrari first.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ