2020 Tuscan Grand Prix - Mugello, September 11 - 13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Racer X

Re: 2020 Tuscan Grand Prix - Mugello, September 11 - 13

zibby43 wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 02:45
nzjrs wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 23:55
zibby43 wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 22:39

To add on, I think with the new engine mode TD, it's going to be extremely difficult to overtake for the remainder of the year (irrespective of the OT button). Qualifying is going to become more important than ever.
I think this is too close to what Toto wants us to believe, which makes me suspicious.
Someone went back and counted the number of overtakes after the restart (particularly with the cars at the front of the action), and let’s just say there wasn’t much counting to do.

Granted, it could be Monza-related, but every team has had tools taken away from it.

https://twitter.com/JackNichollsF1E/sta ... 61696?s=20
Hamilton was cutting the field still if you reverse grid he could still win but you'd see people who qualifed top 5 not able to finish top 5. So you'd try to qualify @ the bottom. But how do you achieve that successfully.... It's strange if you don't have 2 races. It works for F2 because they run twice.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

SiLo

nzjrs wrote:
zibby43 wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 22:39

To add on, I think with the new engine mode TD, it's going to be extremely difficult to overtake for the remainder of the year (irrespective of the OT button). Qualifying is going to become more important than ever.
I think this is too close to what Toto wants us to believe, which makes me suspicious.
Seeing as there have been plenty of articles suggesting the same thing, I think it's right. You used to be able to use an engine mode to create a larger disparity in pace on the part of the track where you are likely to make an overtake. Now they don't really have that so it will be more on the condition of the tyres to help create a large enough delta to overtake someone, or hope they make a mistake.

I think Mugello is going to be an incredibly boring race that will just look pretty.
Felipe Baby!

AnthonyG

SiLo wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 11:06

I think Mugello is going to be an incredibly boring race that will just look pretty.
The first part doesn't differ from most races earlier this season. At least it will look pretty.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

SiLo

AnthonyG wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 11:08
SiLo wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 11:06

The first part doesn't differ from most races earlier this season. At least it will look pretty.
Well there has at least been some great midfield battles and overtaking throughout the year. This one will be a classic procession with almost 0 overtakes I reckon.
Felipe Baby!

Wass85

Racer X wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 11:03
zibby43 wrote:
nzjrs wrote:

Someone went back and counted the number of overtakes after the restart (particularly with the cars at the front of the action), and let’s just say there wasn’t much counting to do.

Granted, it could be Monza-related, but every team has had tools taken away from it.

Hamilton was cutting the field still if you reverse grid he could still win but you'd see people who qualifed top 5 not able to finish top 5. So you'd try to qualify @ the bottom. But how do you achieve that successfully.... It's strange if you don't have 2 races. It works for F2 because they run twice.
That's why you should the same amount of points out for qualifying as you would in the race and give out points further down the field.

Then it's not just a case of winning it's a case of getting as high a position as possible.

basti313

Wass85 wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 11:19
Racer X wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 11:03
zibby43 wrote:

That's why you should the same amount of points out for qualifying as you would in the race and give out points further down the field.

Then it's not just a case of winning it's a case of getting as high a position as possible.
Well, we will see how it goes with only one FP. My assumption is that the best workable solution is to have a Q on Friday or Saturday morning. Points for the first three in Q (like 5-3-1 or similar), then race in the Q result. Sunday in reversed order.
Don`t russel the hamster!

hollus

The discussion about reverse grids is already going on here.
Rivals, not enemies.

dodds_turbo

Ringleheim wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 18:37
Ferrari will continue to get murdered around this place, just in a slightly different way than we have seen so far.
Unless they just happen to have had a free test/practise session around this very circuit in June.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... MfigZ.html
Does that give them any benefit/advantage over the other teams?

Anybody have any more details, lap times, etc from this test?

Schippke

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mattia-bi ... ap-record/
Rubens Barrichello currently holds the lap record in an F1 car at Mugello, setting a 1:18.704 in the Ferrari F2004 with a V10 engine, but already the two-year old Ferrari (SF71H) which was used in the private test this year was troubling that time.

“We did a very similar lap time with full tank, not pushing, et cetera. So I’m pretty curious to see when we set the pole, I’m pretty sure it will be a record,” he is quoted by Racefans.net.
The test itself was a private one, so I don't believe any lap times were recorded publicly, but say they were doing high 18's - mid 19's on full tanks of fuel, you'd imagine seeing times around the 1:14's in qualifying trim (if you're in a Mercedes :lol:)?

As for Ferrari having any advantage... I reckon they could spend a whole year with the SF1000, pumping lap after lap around Mugello, have absolutely everything optimised, setup perfectly, know exactly every square inch of the track and Mercedes would still pull a second on them after FP1. :cry:

basti313

dodds_turbo wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 12:26
Ringleheim wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 18:37
Ferrari will continue to get murdered around this place, just in a slightly different way than we have seen so far.
Unless they just happen to have had a free test/practise session around this very circuit in June.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... MfigZ.html
Does that give them any benefit/advantage over the other teams?

Anybody have any more details, lap times, etc from this test?
No, there was no official timing.

The big question is how the data relates to the current Ferrari car. If I see it correctly the 2018 one was rather eating the tires, while the current one is (too?) gently to the tires.

But I think there is not a big change in the pecking order given what we saw this season. So Ferrari might just jump to the top of the midfield with some good tire usage.
The big possibility for some action in the front might be that Merc or Bulls get the tire usage completely wrong, which might put them either into fight with each other or drop the Bulls into midfield.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Just_a_fan

Track guide by Leclerc:

If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Fulcrum

I think the race won't be a procession because:
  • Tyre degradation will be significant. Track characteristics + ambient temps > 30C.
  • It's an unfamiliar circuit relative to the rest of the calendar, so they won't pitch up with cars already dialed in, and drivers will take time to unlock their potential.
  • Making a mistake anywhere in a corner complex will penalize your speed for multiple subsequent corners.
  • Drivers will make more mistakes than average (unfamiliar track, track/ambient conditions, tyre deg).
I don't expect lots of passing, but the passes that are made will be awesome. One can hope.

Morteza

Red safety car for this weekend
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Schippke

Nice to know that if we get a Safety Car during the race, we'll all be able to witness a Red Car leading a Grand Prix this season; Even better that'll be at Ferrari's 1000th race! :D

Bad joke, I know... but admit it, some of you are thinking the same thing. :P

holeindalip

This one will go down as another record for hamilton, for the amount of wins on different circuits.

Everyone bar max and Bottas will be lapped.

Mercedes won’t make the same mistake again entering a closed pitlane