2020 Tuscan Grand Prix - Mugello, September 11 - 13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MtthsMlw

2020 Tuscan Grand Prix - Mugello, September 11 - 13

Tyre choices by Pirelli C1 - C2 - C3
Pressures
Front 25psi
Rear 20.5psi

Onboard laps

Ringleheim

Re: 2020 Tuscan Grand Prix - Mugello, September 11 - 13

Ferrari will continue to get murdered around this place, just in a slightly different way than we have seen so far.

This "short" season is proving quite long for Ferrari fans!

Ringleheim

A big, long straight, essentially 5 chicanes, mostly pretty fast, and 4 neck breaking corners, 2 right and 2 left.

Mercedes will pick up ENORMOUS time on the field in Turns 1, 8/9, 12, and 14. The neck breakers.

Still glad we are going to see what F1 looks like at Mugello.

Just_a_fan

This is going to be a high speed Monaco. The chances of overtaking will be minimal as the entry and exit to the one straight are both fairly high speed and go on for at least 180 degrees. I doubt anyone will be able to stay close enough in Bucine to be able to get close enough to attempt a dive in to San Donato. The driver ahead will stay to the right and then the driver attempting to overtake won't get around him before the exit. I expect a few will try and I expect a few touches/crashes in Luco as a result of them squabbling.

The onboards from qualifying should be fairly spectacular, however. =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Moore77

Ringleheim wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 18:37
Ferrari will continue to get murdered around this place, just in a slightly different way than we have seen so far.
May be not! The circuit requires a good deal of downforce too, so most teams would run lot of downforce. This is a similar conundrum like Suzuka. There is one long straight, but it also puts premium on downforce because of the rest of the circuit. So, Ferrari has no issues with downforce part and would be better off there compared to the mid field competition. Mid field can't put Monza wing and hence, wouldn't be so much problematic. Might not be as painful as Spa and Monza has been.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

Moore77

Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 18:58
This is going to be a high speed Monaco. The chances of overtaking will be minimal as the entry and exit to the one straight are both fairly high speed and go on for at least 180 degrees. I doubt anyone will be able to stay close enough in Bucine to be able to get close enough to attempt a dive in to San Donato. The driver ahead will stay to the right and then the driver attempting to overtake won't get around him before the exit. I expect a few will try and I expect a few touches/crashes in Luco as a result of them squabbling.

The onboards from qualifying should be fairly spectacular, however. =D>
Agreed. The mid part of the straight is weird as it kind of cramps up at the pit exit before opening again (black circle below). MotoGP bikes does wonders on there, when they go over painted curb to get more space on the right. It's not exactly a straight in F1 sense.

Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

notsofast

Aren't you supposed to post the results of the last race held at this track? :-)

Also, Pirelli bringing the hardest tyres. Probably a boring one-stop race unfortunately. This is such a weird season anyway. Why not spice it up.

Mogster

Ringleheim wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 18:50
Still glad we are going to see what F1 looks like at Mugello.
Very much so.

My only experience of the place is on the PC but there’s no doubt Mugello is a special track to drive. I’ve wondered what modern F1 cars would look like there for years, now we’ll find out. The race and even qualy could be interesting as I can’t see the event going off without multiple safety cars. We’ll see. I hope it’s a good one.

Forecast looks very hot, 30°C+, all weekend, hot enough to fry a nice Frittata on the engine covers... Should give RBR and Merc something to think about.

NathanOlder

I think Sunday being a success or a snoozfest will all come down to the length of the DRS zone.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan

If nothing else, it'll be interesting to compare F1 times here with the other series that race here such as MotoGP. The last time F1 cars ran here, during testing, the top time was a 1.21 which was just over a second faster than the pole time for that year's Spanish GP. This year's Spanish GP pole time was 7 seconds faster than the 2012 pole time. So we might expect a pole time of 1.14 here? Or is that much too simplistic an approach?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Wass85

The onboard in qualifying will look crazy, will be a horrible race though I should imagine.

Big Tea

It looks rather narrow, what are the over take areas?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Wass85

Basically none if there isn't a massive delta between cars, if so it will be the DRS zone before the first corner.

Mogster

F3 Euro 2019 race at Mugello. Whatever the overtaking opportunities F1 cars are going to look fantastic.

Unc1eM0nty

From that race footage it does look like it will be very hard to overtake.

Lovely sweeping corners though, looks like it was built for the Merc, they'll love it