2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NL_Fer

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

Phil wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 13:50
I have to say, I don't "mind" Hamilton losing a win like this (and considering the WDC position he is currently in), however, I must say I find it a bit baffling that a decision to close the pitlane for the essentially safety reasons (which it always is), is simply a few markers on the outside of a corner and a bulletin message. I would assume and hope that something that is communicated for safety reasons to be highlighted appropriately that there is little margin for error, because, there could be potential lives at stake (of marshals there etc).
Your are so right.

It is two crosses and 4th page message to prevent drivers from crashing into Magnussens car. :|

Unc1eM0nty

Merc debrief with some more insite on missing the pit closure ans a few other things

sosic2121

Schuttelberg wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 21:17
sosic2121 wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 12:02
Schuttelberg wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 19:00

Yes I am talking about Bottas. I think Felipe was a feisty little character and while he was no Hamilton, he wasn't a pu$$y! Obviously, I'm not talking about the likes of Badoer or Yammmamoto or Ide but I don't think I've seen a worse driver than Bottas in a championship capable car and he's the worst by some margin. Obviously, he'll win another couple of races this year but he is not the foot nail of Rosberg and let's not even talk about Hamilton even though Lewis is Lewis and being his team mate is very hard.
I agree with this. But couple of times when Lewis dropped the ball, he would step up and keep Ferraris from winning.

Maybe he has No.2 in his contract. And he's doing a perfect job.
Why do you need Bottas for that? There's Binotto!
:lol: :lol: :lol: =D>

hollus

A quick side question: What would have been the problem with just leaving Magnussen’s car there? Without the driver inside, obviously.
Rivals, not enemies.

sosic2121

hollus wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 23:09
A quick side question: What would have been the problem with just leaving Magnussen’s car there? Without the driver inside, obviously.
"potentially other car could crash into it" That's how this modern, politically correct works.
Didn't SC also decided last year Russian GP? Although Ferrari could have told Seb to drive to the box...

RZS10

The 0.000000000000001% chance of a freak accident of a driver crashing in exactly the same spot where the parked car is....

Just_a_fan

hollus wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 23:09
No problem at all. But modern F1 doesn't leave cars anywhere that might get hit, even if the chance is remote.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

hollus

I guess I did not tone the question exactly right... so first of all, yes, I fully agree, a second cat going to the same spot was unlikely. But if that were to happen, so what? The car is not fixed, it would actually dampen a hypothetical barrier hit into two lesser hits, it would add a second set of crash structures... are they afraid of one car on the grass launching a second car into the air or something like that?
Rivals, not enemies.

siskue2005

hollus wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 06:44
I fully agree, a second cat going to the same spot was unlikely.
Yes, definitely, a second CAT going through there is very very very unlikely :lol: :lol: :lol:

sosic2121

What if that car was there when Hamilton left the track to dodge someone. I think it was FP.
Leaving car there reduces the chance to avoid collision in the first place.
Since car is next to the straight, in hypothetical crash cars will not hit the barrier directly, but slide next to it.

Not that any of this is important.
Car stopped > SC

ispano6

hollus wrote:
I guess I did not tone the question exactly right... so first of all, yes, I fully agree, a second cat going to the same spot was unlikely. But if that were to happen, so what? The car is not fixed, it would actually dampen a hypothetical barrier hit into two lesser hits, it would add a second set of crash structures... are they afraid of one car on the grass launching a second car into the air or something like that?
Are you serious? Do you not remember what happened to Billy Monger? He lost both legs crashing full speed into a stopped car. Do you remember the circumstances of what led to Jules Bianchi's death crashing in the same place as a previous driver as the stricken car was being removed?
These rules should not even be questioned, they are there because of lives lost and the tragic consequences of not having them in place.
People shouldn't ask for rules changes just because their favorite driver and team was penalized for not obeying a safety protocol. Mercedes should have been fined for their indescretion as should have Alfa Romeo.
The rear crash structure and rear wing and related protrusions could very well get through the halo's openings, smashing into or piercing the driver like what happened to Senna (yes I know no other cars were involved but the human body is frail and head is exposed) .

e30ernest

ispano6 wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 08:11
hollus wrote:
Are you serious? Do you not remember what happened to Billy Monger? He lost both legs crashing full speed into a stopped car. Do you remember the circumstances of what led to Jules Bianchi's death crashing in the same place as a previous driver as the stricken car was being removed?
These rules should not even be questioned, they are there because of lives lost and the tragic consequences of not having them in place.
People shouldn't ask for rules changes just because their favorite driver and team was penalized for not obeying a safety protocol. Mercedes should have been fined for their indescretion as should have Alfa Romeo.
The rear crash structure and rear wing and related protrusions could very well get through the halo's openings, smashing into or piercing the driver like what happened to Senna (yes I know no other cars were involved but the human body is frail and head is exposed) .
Yeah these were my thoughts too. I do understand that the position of KMag's car was in an area where it was unlikely anyone would crash into, but I think the decision to bring out the SC just to be on the safe side was definitely the right move.

El Scorchio

I remember the old days when parked/abandoned cars would just sit by the track for the rest of the race! Understand why that can't happen any more, even if the chance of anyone hitting it is absolutely minute.

However, (I know it's been done) that was a VSC incident all day for me rather than full SC. Especially considering the ridiculous F2 screengrab Siskue posted.

hollus

ispano6 wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 08:11
hollus wrote:
I am serious, ispano. Why the need to ask? Are you suggesting that I am... nevermind.
I had never seen the details of Billy Monger's crash. Now I have since you pointed it out and yes, it makes it clear that crashing onto a static car can neglect the presence of crash structures if the angle is just wrong. So point completely conceded and something learnt. Clearly leaving the car there is not the best plan.
I disagree on Bianchi, though, the problem there was precisely trying to remove the car. But irrelevant in any case in view of Monger's accident.
People shouldn't ask for rules changes just because their favorite driver and team was penalized ...
Are you serious? The furthest from a Hamilton or Mercedes fan here (hint: Asturias). I couldn't care less if Hamilton won or lost, on merit or by luck. It bothers me, though, that everyone seems to be categorized into pro or anti Hamilton, pro or anti Ferrari, etc. I (am many others here) just like the high speed chess games, the engineering marvels at work and the drivers doing the seemingly impossible with said marvels. Well, and asturian drivers, of course.
Rivals, not enemies.

TAG

It's a vale of butthurt here. Figured I'd pop in with an anecdote to make it al better, or worse depending on your perspective. Hamilton has lost more races due to massive team screw ups than most F1 drivers have ever won in their careers. I enjoyed Sunday's race because life if often stranger than fiction... unless we're talking about Renault's Singapore win. LOL
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत