[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
siskue2005

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

ispano6 wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 18:06
If there was no red flag and Hamilton still had to take his penalty, Mercedes would not have been afforded the luxury to change that much bodywork. The power units were going to suffer otherwise such a change would not have been made.
Did they change bodywork on Lewis' car? i only they changing them on Bottas'

zibby43

Moore77 wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 11:38
ispano6 wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 01:02
Looks like Mercedes had concerns with cooling and used the red flag to change out radiator duct and body panels and opened it up for cooling. Analysis starts from 31:46 . They are showing the stewards the parts they want to replace them with.
h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WNq7dIdCO4&t=1894
Mercedes designs their aero, assuming they would always run in free air. It's aggressive, but provides aero gains as in reality, they do run in clean air. When they have to run behind cars, they face PU overheating problems. This has been observed many times in the past. In one such instance, back in Canada 2018, the team could change some cooling settings at the pit stop.

https://formularapida.net/mercedes-talk ... on-in-pit/
He revealed that they change some cooling settings during the pit stop which allowed Hamilton to be far quicker and close the gap to Vettel. Mercedes hoped for a safety car in extending Hamilton’s first stint but stopping earlier may have helped them.

“You can see in the second stint, we were a lot quicker, some of this was because we were able to make some cooling changes in pit stop, that suddenly meant that Lewis could driver harder and we could push up behind Sebastian,” he said. “Now if we had known that we had that pace difference, we would have definitely have a go at an undercut.”
With there being a possibility to change some of the cooling settings on the fly, a red flag like situation provides even better opportunity to perform bigger changes. Given the fact that, Bottas had already struggled in the first sting and with a penalty, Hamilton was set to run behind cars, they did the cooling changes.

With a change in the engine mode directive, this is also a discovery for most manufacturers in terms of what it means from a cooling requirements perspective, especially given that the temperatures sore in the race. I mentioned this in Red Bull forum that, we might see more conservative engine covers in Mugello and may be bigger cooling openings at the back of the engine covers.
Really good post. Was just about to post how Mercedes historically will change the bodywork (around the cockpit in particular, where they have tear-off panels for quick access to expose cooling louvers) for cooling reasons.

With Merc's pace this weekend, the chose some of the tightest engine cover bodywork in their repertoire, as they were anticipating being out in clean air.

They could be seen testing various bodywork options in FP2.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Big Tea

zibby43 wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 20:30
Moore77 wrote:
ispano6 wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 01:02
Looks like Mercedes had concerns with cooling and used the red flag to change out radiator duct and body panels and opened it up for cooling. Analysis starts from 31:46 . They are showing the stewards the parts they want to replace them with.
h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WNq7dIdCO4&t=1894
Mercedes designs their aero, assuming they would always run in free air. It's aggressive, but provides aero gains as in reality, they do run in clean air. When they have to run behind cars, they face PU overheating problems. This has been observed many times in the past. In one such instance, back in Canada 2018, the team could change some cooling settings at the pit stop.

Really good post. Was just about to post how Mercedes historically will change the bodywork (around the cockpit in particular, where they have tear-off panels for quick access to expose cooling louvers) for cooling reasons.

With Merc's pace this weekend, the chose some of the tightest engine cover bodywork in their repertoire, as they were anticipating being out in clean air.

Are they allowed to have sliding louvre style panels as seen in air vents?
I know they can not be activated by the driver, but 2 seconds in the pit, as a wing change would be useful
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

El Scorchio

Morteza wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 12:00
https://youtu.be/g7PFXCwLkdQ
Another good one. I like the explanation of how the pitlane drama timeline unfolded from their POV, that they hold up their hands and own their mistake, and that they will learn from it and improve.

Plus the pizza bit was amusing.

I wish all the teams did content like this.

zibby43

Big Tea wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 12:32
zibby43 wrote:
Moore77 wrote:

I know they can not be activated by the driver, but 2 seconds in the pit, as a wing change would be useful
That's a good question. With the existing louver-style panels they have, they have little panels covering the cooling slats that can be torn off during pit stops - exposing additional cooling.

zibby43

Partial explanation for Bottas' lack of pace at Monza.

Suspension/steering was knocked out of alignment, and front wing footplate was damaged as well.

Jolle

zibby43 wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 19:52
Big Tea wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 12:32
zibby43 wrote:

That's a good question. With the existing louver-style panels they have, they have little panels covering the cooling slats that can be torn off during pit stops - exposing additional cooling.

https://storage.googleapis.com/stateles ... tail-1.jpg

https://i2.wp.com/cdn-1.motorsport.com/ ... =800&ssl=1
Takes me back to the days where they would rip off gurney strips off the rear wing during pitstops :-)

e30ernest

Morteza wrote:
09 Sep 2020, 12:00
https://youtu.be/g7PFXCwLkdQ
Mercedes feels like they are being run like a tech company. Agile methodologies.... Solution-oriented.

zibby43

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Moore77

Morteza wrote:
11 Sep 2020, 13:30
https://youtu.be/URJcgCWxl9M
The best part for me was from 0:43s to 1:59s. He addresses the arm chair experts who keep tossing things like longer wheel base has this problem that problem, low rake has this and that, high rake has this and that, low drag concept etc., He says, arm chair experts focus on the outcomes, but it's ultimately the collective understanding of the team that makes the difference and not these meaningless terms. The Car is merely a product of the organization that produces it and how good that team is, is what really matters for the outcomes. Well said.

Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

Big Tea

I'm glad he touched on my personal bugbare there , Blue flags. I hate the newer rulings of 'jump out the way'.
Blue flags in the original use are necessary, but as they are now it not only destroys racing anywhere but the top, and it enables a 'run away' set up as they do not need to fight past anyone all race.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

subcritical71

Big Tea wrote:
11 Sep 2020, 14:28
I'm glad he touched on my personal bugbare there , Blue flags. I hate the newer rulings of 'jump out the way'.
Blue flags in the original use are necessary, but as they are now it not only destroys racing anywhere but the top, and it enables a 'run away' set up as they do not need to fight past anyone all race.
Completely agree with him there. I always wondered why there was a regulation in racing that reduces the amount of racing.

McL-H

“Ineos in £700m bid to buy F1 giants Mercedes with chemicals giant and Britain's richest man Sir Jim Ratcliffe set to take 70 per cent share in team”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formu ... -team.html