McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
the EDGE

Re: McLaren MCL35

godlameroso wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 16:18
Macklaren wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 13:44
billamend wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 13:42
Not expecting a good race for Mclaren and Renault this weekend. This seems a prime weekend for RP and Mercedes.
On the contrary, Andreas saying Mugello will suit the car well given its Austria like characteristics and we all know that he is EXTREMELY conservative when it comes to setting expectations
Mugello is like sector 1 in Barcelona, sector 2 in Silverstone. The speed of the corners means that most cars will have similar cornering performance save for a few corners. Turn 1, the entry of the chicanes, turn 12 and 15 will be the main difference makers.
With its 1.1km straight along with the long high speed coreners I would say the biggest factor this weekend will be getting the balance right between downforce & drag

Emag

the EDGE wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 16:26
godlameroso wrote:
Macklaren wrote:

On the contrary, Andreas saying Mugello will suit the car well given its Austria like characteristics and we all know that he is EXTREMELY conservative when it comes to setting expectations
Mugello is like sector 1 in Barcelona, sector 2 in Silverstone. The speed of the corners means that most cars will have similar cornering performance save for a few corners. Turn 1, the entry of the chicanes, turn 12 and 15 will be the main difference makers.
With its 1.1km straight along with the long high speed coreners I would say the biggest factor this weekend will be getting the balance right between downforce & drag
I doubt teams will prioritize the straight too much. All the time is on the corners in this type of track. It's not like Belgium where you got long straights and fast corners too.

godlameroso

the EDGE wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
Macklaren wrote:

It's a very easy compromise to make, to be quite honest. No trimming of downforce is necessary. Think about it like this, what you gain on the exit of turn 15, and entry to turn 1 is bigger than the gain from the straight. A low DF setup will lose .4 in those two corners but gain .2 on the straight. That is a net .2 tenths lost in those two corners, plus what you lose in the rest of the lap.

You need a fair bit of downforce, think trimmed out Barcelona package, or a Silverstone package with maximum wing levels.

The simulator doesn't show you the most crucial aspect of this track. The grip levels are incredibly inconsistent, with the car possibly behaving completely different on two different laps. The racing line is constantly shifting by as much as 10 cm which affects lap time massively if the driver can't adapt.
Saishū kōnā

M840TR

billamend wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 13:42
Not expecting a good race for Mclaren and Renault this weekend. This seems a prime weekend for RP and Mercedes.
Like Monza, will it be a good track for McLaren? "It's one of those things about expectations," said Carlos Sainz cautiously. "Usually we're good in high-speed corners. But that doesn't mean anything. We didn't go to Monza believing it would go so well."

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... l-wechsel/

Mclarensenna

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... n=widget-6

"I'm talking here about the wind tunnel, which we don't have in-house.
"I'm talking here about the driving simulator, which is outdated, I'm talking about CFD infrastructure which is not up to date anymore, and also about our production infrastructure, which is outdated."

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/221835/1/ ... pends-most

According to this even back in 2015 Mclarens budget was a massive EUR465m just 3 million behind Redbull and Merc in 3rd.
What in the world was Mclaren doing with all this money? They never thought to upgrade any of the equipment like the top teams did ? Mclaren were struggling so much and not 1 person at Mclaren, a manager, Alonso anybody thought we need to do some upgrades?
Only Seidl joining thought of this and finally get the wind tunnel approved amongst other upgrades he talking about now?

Or are all these articles incorrect as I am very confused how Mclaren dropped the ball like this with suge a huge budget back then? Maybe somebody who knows more about the inner workings of Mclaren can reply?

shotzski

Mclarensenna wrote:
11 Sep 2020, 02:01

"I'm talking here about the driving simulator, which is outdated, I'm talking about CFD infrastructure which is not up to date anymore, and also about our production infrastructure, which is outdated."

According to this even back in 2015 Mclarens budget was a massive EUR465m just 3 million behind Redbull and Merc in 3rd.
What in the world was Mclaren doing with all this money? They never thought to upgrade any of the equipment like the top teams did ? Mclaren were struggling so much and not 1 person at Mclaren, a manager, Alonso anybody thought we need to do some upgrades?
Only Seidl joining thought of this and finally get the wind tunnel approved amongst other upgrades he talking about now?

Or are all these articles incorrect as I am very confused how Mclaren dropped the ball like this with suge a huge budget back then? Maybe somebody who knows more about the inner workings of Mclaren can reply?
If the figures were accurate, I believe a large chunk of their budget back then was Honda money, not money in their pockets. They needed to spend on engine development, catch up. Then an exodus of sponsors leaving, thus not enough money coming in, and so on.
Basically the money they had back then cannot be spent on infrastructure. As Honda needed to develop. My take on the matter

ripleysend

Mclarensenna wrote:
11 Sep 2020, 02:01

Jost Capito identified the need for significant capital expenditure to update the infrastructure including these elements. It was a central pillar of his plan, and one of the main reasons he didn't stick around for more than a couple of months - top level management either disagreed or didn't have the will to spend funds in that manner and back him.

Jost was very well liked and respected in the team and in my view would have done a great job akin to Seidl. The one that got away.

f1rules

_cerber1

I don't see any new elements in the side deflectors for Lando.

mclaren111

Also, no T-Wing....

stevesingo

Emag wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 16:42
the EDGE wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

I doubt teams will prioritize the straight too much. All the time is on the corners in this type of track. It's not like Belgium where you got long straights and fast corners too.
But if those corners are flat with a low down force level, why add any more?

Qualifying well and getting a good start will be key. I expect the lap time delta to be able to overtake the car in front will be 2sec.

f1rules

well i dont know mugello other then the videos around, especially the 2007 ferrari, but it do surprise me, from that video that they all went for high df,comparing it to silverstone where many went the other direction, its fast flowing yes but the corners are soft, well saw a fastforward bycicle presentation from valteri and the corners do seem more sharp then i initially thought, we will see
Last edited by f1rules on 11 Sep 2020, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.

f1rules

Tobi Grüner Chequered flag
@tgruener
McLaren will run a new experimental nose on Sainz car in Mugello FP1 to gather data for comparison with wind tunnel simulations.

#AMuS #F1 #TuscanGP

the EDGE

Still only running the new strakes on Carols’ car

It’s a bit odd, I wouldn’t have thought they were that hard to produce, they look like they bolt-on to existing parts

mclaren111

f1rules wrote:
11 Sep 2020, 10:21
Tobi Grüner Chequered flag
@tgruener
McLaren will run a new experimental nose on Sainz car in Mugello FP1 to gather data for comparison with wind tunnel simulations.

#AMuS #F1 #TuscanGP

2021 Nose perhaps ??