Ferrari SF1000

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Ferrari SF1000

Ringleheim wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 08:05
PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 Sep 2020, 15:01
They needed Gold rims with this colour paint!
Nah. This sort of color goes back before gold wheels. The color does look fantastic though to my eye.

It's so dark and has so much blue in it! It's almost like venaccia which is a great color offered on their road cars. Much darker/bluer than Rosso Barchetta. It's more like a deepened, darkened rosso Mugello.

Martin Brundle said "It's hard to see on track and on TV" or some such but I don't know what he's talking about. I know Ferrari doesn't like the darker reds based on this but the darker color really makes the white writing on the car pop.

The "1000" decal is terrible and totally classless. They need to get a new graphic designer; keep the painter.
I like the 1000 decal. To each his own I guess.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

MtthsMlw

Bargeboard..

Scorpaguy

That color...Ferrari finally found an upgrade that works. Next race...bold new graphics.

El Scorchio

Scorpaguy wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 21:58
That color...Ferrari finally found an upgrade that works. Next race...bold new graphics.
I’ve got to say I think the new paint job looks horrible on telly. Shades of luminous yellow on burgundy.

Scorpaguy

El Scorchio wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 22:14
Scorpaguy wrote:
I’ve got to say I think the new paint job looks horrible on telly. Shades of luminous yellow on burgundy.
I think it looks great in staged photos...but agree that it is balls on track at speed (it seems blurry, fades into the surroundings).

Zynerji

Not a fan either. Maybe if it was the flat sheen with some thin white pinstripes to edge it I would feel different.

El Scorchio

Scorpaguy wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 03:23
El Scorchio wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 22:14
Scorpaguy wrote:
I think it looks great in staged photos...but agree that it is balls on track at speed (it seems blurry, fades into the surroundings).
I agree. It always amazes me how different the colours look on television and in 'real life'- most notably the red on the famous red and white McLarens of old times. I think this is one that definitely doesn't translate to television so well. I was trying to think what the race suits reminded me of this weekend with the colours and I just remembered- really close in colours to the 'Washington football team' from the NFL (formerly redskins)

FDD
FDD

I love this red color
My taste

MtthsMlw

Jolle

Half a meter from gear box to diff? :P

PlatinumZealot

The car has some serious problems on the chassis side. A 1000hp engine and gobs of downforce was masking it from 2015 to 2019.

Their whole basis of their aero evolution has been knocked out of whack as a result. They basically need to design an all new car with new philosophy for 2021 but that has been made impossible by the rules.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Jolle

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 16:47
The car has some serious problems on the chassis side. A 1000hp engine and gobs of downforce was masking it from 2015 to 2019.

Their whole basis of their aero evolution has been knocked out of whack as a result. They basically need to design an all new car with new philosophy for 2021 but that has been made impossible by the rules.
Even if it was possible within the rules, they would be way behind Mercedes and RedBull, who are able to finetune a working design philosophy.

Newey's book gives some nice insights in that, where at lengths he talks about how you develop and evolve an existing design until you see it doesn't work anymore. A clean sheet design would put them four years of development behind Mercedes. Just look at 2016, when they started off with a new design and ditched the 2014/2015 concept. They dropped from second to third with no wins.

Scorpaguy

Jolle wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 17:24
PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 16:47

Even if it was possible within the rules, they would be way behind Mercedes and RedBull, who are able to finetune a working design philosophy.

Newey's book gives some nice insights in that, where at lengths he talks about how you develop and evolve an existing design until you see it doesn't work anymore. A clean sheet design would put them four years of development behind Mercedes. Just look at 2016, when they started off with a new design and ditched the 2014/2015 concept. They dropped from second to third with no wins.
I have always wondered if it was Arri or his team that realized the folly of the 14 Chassis and opted for the "clean slate"? The winless 16 chassis was refined into the 17-18 "contender" that routinely challenged for podiums and a few wins. My only reservation about assassinating Bino's character is that maybe he too has found a "fatal flaw" in the 16 design and has gone all in for 22 (and the Ferrari BOD has bought it). I guess only time will tell.

2thefront

So what exactly can they do in the short term? It seems like there's been very little aero updates since Austria. I believe there's a token system that's for major parts which Ferrari used for a new gearbox? How many tokens between now and the end of 2021?

As for the PU, I would be interested to see how much better their 2nd generation PU would be. From what I read they just missed having it ready in time for Austria before the freeze. You would think even if it was rushed they could've used the reliability clause to pass on updates whereas now they can't do anything.

Xwang

2thefront wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 23:41
So what exactly can they do in the short term? It seems like there's been very little aero updates since Austria. I believe there's a token system that's for major parts which Ferrari used for a new gearbox? How many tokens between now and the end of 2021?

As for the PU, I would be interested to see how much better their 2nd generation PU would be. From what I read they just missed having it ready in time for Austria before the freeze. You would think even if it was rushed they could've used the reliability clause to pass on updates whereas now they can't do anything.
Reading the technical regulations the PU must be the same till the end of 2020.
The chassis is frozen till the end of 2021, but the could change without spending tokens:
1) front and rear suspension (excluded the internal parts)
2) front and rear uprights
3) wheelbase
4) the whole aerodynamic package (maybe including the radiators which in the rules are part of the bodywork if I remember correctly).
Till the end of September 2020 they can homologate a new front and rear impact structure without spending tokes.
I have not understand what can be modified on the PU, gearbox and differential electronic management and if the differential is frozen or not.