[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wass85

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Is he just wanting to buy the F1 team or shares in Mercedes as well?

McL-H

Wass85 wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 11:00
The article focuses solely on the purchase of the F1 team. But who knows whether he plans to buy himself into Mercedes as well.

Wass85

McL-H wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 11:14
Wass85 wrote:
The article focuses solely on the purchase of the F1 team. But who knows whether he plans to buy himself into Mercedes as well.
Why would Mercedes even contemplate such a deal, their heart can't be in it if so?

McL-H

Wass85 wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 11:23
McL-H wrote:
Wass85 wrote:
Why would Mercedes even contemplate such a deal, their heart can't be in it if so?
F1 is a great marketing platform to them. Especially since they win. But Mercedes have won everything there is to win. They have been dominating the sport since 2014. What is there left to gain? They can’t go up, they can only go down. And when they go down, how good will their return on investment be? Also, they have made no secret of it that they are not happy about the new concorde agreement, and thus have only signed for 1 year. With the financial crisis the world economy finds itself in, it may also be hard to rectify for them to keep spending in F1, while having to fire personnel elsewere.

astracrazy

Is this really just for the team? 700m for 70%? The f1 team is worth 1 billion?
Last edited by astracrazy on 13 Sep 2020, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

Moore77

McL-H wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 11:40
Wass85 wrote:
McL-H wrote:

F1 is a great marketing platform to them. Especially since they win. But Mercedes have won everything there is to win. They have been dominating the sport since 2014. What is there left to gain? They can’t go up, they can only go down. And when they go down, how good will their return on investment be? Also, they have made no secret of it that they are not happy about the new concorde agreement, and thus have only signed for 1 year. With the financial crisis the world economy finds itself in, it may also be hard to rectify for them to keep spending in F1, while having to fire personnel elsewere.
What is there for Mercedes? Advertising, worth around 4 billion dollars every single year, for a paltry sum of 80 million. Without that team, they have to shell out 4 billion dollars a year to get the same exact visibility in the market place. This is not about winning races and championships. This is generating commercial brand value to then sell their cars. No sane business man would throw that away. With the upcoming budget restrictions, they probably wouldn't have to pay even those silly 80 million dollars either.

It's not that Ineos and other guys are looking at themselves winning some championships and making name in F1 history. They simply want that precious advertisement platform for themselves.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

astracrazy

Moore77 wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 11:56
McL-H wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 11:40
Wass85 wrote:

What is there for Mercedes? Advertising, worth around 4 billion dollars every single year, for a paltry sum of 80 million. Without that team, they have to shell out 4 billion dollars a year to get the same exact visibility in the market place. This is not about winning races and championships. This is generating commercial brand value to then sell their cars. No sane business man would throw that away. With the upcoming budget restrictions, they probably wouldn't have to pay even those silly 80 million dollars either.

It's not that Ineos and other guys are looking at themselves winning some championships and making name in F1 history. They simply want that precious advertisement platform for themselves.
80 million? Are you taking into account the income the team has. Last year it only cost Mercedes 16 million i think, which is a bargain imo.

the EDGE

astracrazy wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 11:58
80 million? Are you taking into account the income the team has. Last year it only cost Mercedes 16 million i think, which is a bargain imo.
https://f1i.com/news/383383-mercedes-re ... title.html

The team spent £309.7m in 2017 which rose to £311.4m the following year, and newly released figures show that the race team spent £333.2m in winning their sixth consecutive constructors world championship in 2019.

But despite the eye-watering figures involved in capturing the title, Mercedes actually came out in profit overall.

The team's income totalled £363.6m, which included money from corporate sponsorships and their share of F1's pot of prize money which is calculated in part on the final number of championship points won in a season.
Of course, this does not include the Engine department spend

Big Tea

the Mailonline article says 'according to Eddie Jordan' Maybe we should not jump to conclusions yet
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

wesley123

Big Tea wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 13:09
the Mailonline article says 'according to Eddie Jordan' Maybe we should not jump to conclusions yet
The thing with rumors is that there is always some merit to it.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

proteus

wesley123 wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 20:54
Big Tea wrote:
Well, Eddie was right about Mclaren, maybe he is aiming for 2 out of 2.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

zeph

I wouldn't bet against Eddie Jordan. This would be an easy way for Merc to bow out while the going is still good, and not be subjected to a Ferrari-like meltdown and inevitable shame.

But I hope he's wrong about this. Their dominance might be boring now, but we need car manufacturers in F1.

Big Tea

zeph wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 21:05
I wouldn't bet against Eddie Jordan. This would be an easy way for Merc to bow out while the going is still good, and not be subjected to a Ferrari-like meltdown and inevitable shame.

But I hope he's wrong about this. Their dominance might be boring now, but we need car manufacturers in F1.
Not saying it is not right, he has had some cracking insiders, but some complete brainfarts too. I was wondering if it is anywhere else?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Mattchu

To be honest I`d never heard of Ineos a few years ago...now they sponsor a cycling team, an F1 car, yacht racing, football teams and maybe some ther stuff! The guy is apparently the richest man in the UK.

Anyway, we were talking about the Tour de France Friday and how Egan Bernal [Ineos grenadiers] looks like he`s got no chance this year when someone who is pretty high up in a certain industry said Ineos are looking at something big in F1...I`d pretty much forgotten about it due to being a bit pi$$ed then saw this :shock:

With the Stroll situation an Racing Point and Toto Wolff buying shares in AML it`s maybe not to far a stretch to imagine him taking the lead at RP and Mercedes F1 team being bought out by Ineos but still using Mercedes PU`s. Like 2 A teams instead of an A+B...
Plus McLaren thrown in the mix...wow!

astracrazy

proteus wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 21:04
wesley123 wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 20:54
Big Tea wrote:
Well, Eddie was right about Mclaren, maybe he is aiming for 2 out of 2.
2 out 2 is a bit generous, he talks a lot of bs too