[ 2020 ] Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u

Re: [ 2020 ] Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

falonso81 wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 18:36
Since Toto could not bring Vettel to Merc, the "B Team" is the next best thing. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
here's a funny one though:

Imagine Hamilton making his 7th title with Mercy merc this season, equalling der Schumi.
Toto calls it quits with AMG, and leaves for his buddy Stroll and goes for his newfound german boy Vettel
@ Aston Martin. AMG meanwhile only need an 8th title with Hammy boi in 2021 to have Squeezed all they could from Lew, and the package prolly will be more than enough to secure that, buttt perhaps not, perhaps Bottas gets a one off ala Rosberg, or perhaps Max gets his WDC.

Totes now slams in all his cards for the former RP team now Aston Martin, to make it a success, when Mercedes pulls the plug on their AMG F1 team in 2022, leaving the team up for sale for anyone to snatch. Totes gathers some key peeps for the AMR team for 2022, and be on the front.

Suddenly we have 4-time WDC Vettel in a WDC and WCC dominant car, and Hamilton gets left out in the bitter cold with a team up for sale and little chance to make his Schumi-beating figure if he hasn't gotten it already.
If Hamilton has 7 titles, and not made his 8th, then Vettel can stack up 3 in a row with Aston Martin,
2022, 2023 and 2024. Which leaves 2025 to become the moment Seb might go for his Schumi beating moment,
and leaves Hamilton with enough time to find himself a 'vengeance' drive to snatch that 8th title.

It sounds pretty awesome to me to see a 2025 showdown for an 8th WDC title to finally beat 'Der Schumi',
in a battle of Vettel @ Mercedes, and Hamilton back either @ Mclaren, where it all began, or @ Ferrari after all, where Schumi had his last.

For Mercedes, it's a pretty tasty treat. With Hamilton, 6 titles at Mercedes and 1 at Mclaren, 7 in total, and 1 with Rosberg, and with Vettel, 3 titles with Aston Martin powered by Mercedes, and either the 8th title, which beats Schumacher, the guy that started with Mercedes and ended with Mercedes, with German Vettel, or Brit Hamilton @ Mclaren. Hell, either way Merc can get their 8th title with Hamilton in 2021, which is very plausible and have beaten der Schumi. Then focus on the 'new formula' in 2022 with AMR F1 Team - Mercedes after selling the AMG team with Vettel, who's 'only' 4 titles shy to achieve HIS 8th title. That means : 2021 8th title for Hamilton. 2025 : 8th title for Vettel (with 'Merc'). Imagine having both Vettel and Hamilton aboard for 2026, that would guarantee them (if they have the right car) to see either of them get the even more legendary 9th title.
But that could mean, in 2025, that Mercedes have grabbed in 12 titles since 2014 with the V6T hybrid, 14 including Hamilton @ Mclaren in 2008 and Button @ BrawnGP in 2009 including the V8's.

Far fetched? you betcha. Impossible? The way 2020 rolled out, no bruh. Hell. We could even see Hamilton roll into AMR in 2022.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Big Tea

Manoah2u wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 22:49
falonso81 wrote:
Since Toto could not bring Vettel to Merc, the "B Team" is the next best thing. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
here's a funny one though:

Imagine Hamilton making his 7th title with Mercy merc this season, equalling der Schumi.
Toto calls it quits with AMG, and leaves for his buddy Stroll and goes for his newfound german boy Vettel
@ Aston Martin. AMG meanwhile only need an 8th title with Hammy boi in 2021 to have Squeezed all they could from Lew, and the package prolly will be more than enough to secure that, buttt perhaps not, perhaps Bottas gets a one off ala Rosberg, or perhaps Max gets his WDC.

Totes now slams in all his cards for the former RP team now Aston Martin, to make it a success, when Mercedes pulls the plug on their AMG F1 team in 2022, leaving the team up for sale for anyone to snatch. Totes gathers some key peeps for the AMR team for 2022, and be on the front.

Suddenly we have 4-time WDC Vettel in a WDC and WCC dominant car, and Hamilton gets left out in the bitter cold with a team up for sale and little chance to make his Schumi-beating figure if he hasn't gotten it already.
If Hamilton has 7 titles, and not made his 8th, then Vettel can stack up 3 in a row with Aston Martin,
2022, 2023 and 2024. Which leaves 2025 to become the moment Seb might go for his Schumi beating moment,
and leaves Hamilton with enough time to find himself a 'vengeance' drive to snatch that 8th title.

It sounds pretty awesome to me to see a 2025 showdown for an 8th WDC title to finally beat 'Der Schumi',
in a battle of Vettel @ Mercedes, and Hamilton back either @ Mclaren, where it all began, or @ Ferrari after all, where Schumi had his last.

For Mercedes, it's a pretty tasty treat. With Hamilton, 6 titles at Mercedes and 1 at Mclaren, 7 in total, and 1 with Rosberg, and with Vettel, 3 titles with Aston Martin powered by Mercedes, and either the 8th title, which beats Schumacher, the guy that started with Mercedes and ended with Mercedes, with German Vettel, or Brit Hamilton @ Mclaren. Hell, either way Merc can get their 8th title with Hamilton in 2021, which is very plausible and have beaten der Schumi. Then focus on the 'new formula' in 2022 with AMR F1 Team - Mercedes after selling the AMG team with Vettel, who's 'only' 4 titles shy to achieve HIS 8th title. That means : 2021 8th title for Hamilton. 2025 : 8th title for Vettel (with 'Merc'). Imagine having both Vettel and Hamilton aboard for 2026, that would guarantee them (if they have the right car) to see either of them get the even more legendary 9th title.
But that could mean, in 2025, that Mercedes have grabbed in 12 titles since 2014 with the V6T hybrid, 14 including Hamilton @ Mclaren in 2008 and Button @ BrawnGP in 2009 including the V8's.

Far fetched? you betcha. Impossible? The way 2020 rolled out, no bruh. Hell. We could even see Hamilton roll into AMR in 2022.
The problem I see with this, is that if 'Hammy boi' were to go to Toto and say 'Tots,I got no job' Toto and Stroll would probably say 'yes you do, you start here next week. Sign here' :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Edax

Moore77 wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 10:30
the EDGE wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 10:24
Moore77 wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 10:03
Getting Vettel into Aston Martin is a great news. Just shows their ambitions to be serious contenders that, they want to go beyond pay drivers. Like I mentioned earlier, with Toto being a share holder, they will continue to get more assistance from Mercedes and who knows, there might even be some key staff transfers from second layer of the pool from Brackley to Silverstone with the upcoming budget restrictions for 2022 that would force Mercedes to let go some people. All in all, a very good situation for Aston Martin and Vettel.

With McLaren on the rise and with also powered by Mercedes, if stroll and company (Aston Martin) could pump in more money, this team could start making serious inroads towards to the top 3 with that Mercedes at the back.
That’s a very good point about the transfer of staff

However I would say that if Aston Martin was serious then they would’ve dropped stroll and kept Checo.

I honestly can’t see this move being good for either party
On the basis of results seen so far, Stroll has been ahead of Perez (in the GPs they both have contested) and that doesn't warrant Stroll to be dropped. He is young and is still learning and is less error prone compared to Perez. He even got their only podium this year!
Never in a million years thought I would say this, but I am quite impressed with Stroll this year. His development is nothing short of amazing.

IMHO he absolutely earned his place in the team.

gshevlin

Before people rhapsodize too much about Lance Stroll, we should remember that his father is the majority shareholder in the team, and wait until we see what happens when Sebastian Vettel shows up. There are plenty of examples of drivers with more money or influence parlaying that into a better position in a race team.

Manoah2u

gshevlin wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 02:40
Before people rhapsodize too much about Lance Stroll, we should remember that his father is the majority shareholder in the team, and wait until we see what happens when Sebastian Vettel shows up. There are plenty of examples of drivers with more money or influence parlaying that into a better position in a race team.
not that i'm particularly disagreeing with you there, but,
it's not his first year in f1, he's been alongside Perez a good while longer,
and likewise with Massa (and wasn't he alongside Sirotkin?).....

..why start now all of a sudden
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

falonso81

Aside from the marketing perspective, Seb's arrival could only benefit Lance. He can learn alot alongside a driver like Seb. Daddy Stroll is looking into the future and setting up Lance to be a WC in a few years (if they nail 2022 regs)

Edax

gshevlin wrote:
True, however I perhaps should add that I was thinking of his progression as a driver.

The “old” stroll always looked like he was halfway on his way to a crash. There was always so much drama going on the cockpit. And usually it was mostly self inflicted. Looked like his attitude to racing was to throw yourself at a corner an figure it out from there.

If I look at his driving now it is so much more consistent and smoother. He might not be the fastest over a lap, but being consistent and not making errors gets you a long way.

I understood that his father spend a small fortune to get his son more training in real formula cars as opposed to sims. If so that seems to have payed off.

And I think that is a much better investment than haggling with the team over who get’s that new bargeboard.

Espresso

gshevlin wrote:
Well let's put it in a different perspective...
Both Stroll sr. and Wolf are slithering snakes..

Phase 1. Williams: Private F1 training vehicle
Phase 2. Racing Point: upgrade F1 learning school, Perez as 'Tutor.
Phase 3. Aston Martin: upgrade F1 learning school. Dump Perez and get a better one, a.k.a. Vettel
Phase 4. Mercedes: upgrade F1 learning school. Dump Bottas get Ham as ultimate teacher....

Allas it looks to me like they are prepping Stroll for the long term and prepping Russel as sidekick...
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

Racer X

Espresso wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 11:28
gshevlin wrote:

Phase 3. Aston Martin: upgrade F1 learning school. Dump Perez and get a better one, a.k.a. Vettel
Phase 4. Mercedes: upgrade F1 learning school. Dump Bottas get Ham as ultimate teacher....

Allas it looks to me like they are prepping Stroll for the long term and prepping Russel as sidekick...
If this is the car then I'm going to cheer for Max pretty hard .... I've begun to dislike the Strolls as a pair. Lol 🤣.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

diffuser

falonso81 wrote:
Vettel will end up costing RP points. Don't get the signing Perez is so much better than Vettel it isn't funny.

diffuser

Espresso wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 11:28
gshevlin wrote:

Not sure why I should care about that. They did what they had to do.

zeph

I admit to a little schadenfreude when Stroll left the track. He's a good driver, I'm not arguing that. He's probably a really nice dude, too.

But I just can't get past the fact that his dad bought him a team, and influence in F1. And I despise the way Perez got kicked to the curb.

diffuser

zeph wrote:
13 Sep 2020, 20:45
I admit to a little schadenfreude when Stroll left the track. He's a good driver, I'm not arguing that. He's probably a really nice dude, too.

But I just can't get past the fact that his dad bought him a team, and influence in F1. And I despise the way Perez got kicked to the curb.
Hey, I'm Canadian and I'm not the biggest fan. I haven't been a fan of a Canadian driver since GV. I do understand the daddy's wallet thing. Don't understand the people who complain about it. Daddy is in F1 to make a buck and help his son out. Without the son, RP would be a heaping pile of shiit. Simple. You can't have the current RP without LS. Don't fight it.

zeph

Actually, it was Perez’ actions that secured the continuation of the team, which is one if the reasons I find the whole thing a bit unpalatable. And yes, I understand it’s just business yadda yadda yadda....

sprint car76

Get tired of the "Perez saved the team". While he may have started the proceedings how do we not know that it wasn't Stroll Sr that advised him to do so. In the end it was Stroll Sr. MONEY that saved the team. If Perez was worried about his job why didn't he get Carlos Slim to buy the team? What ended up happened here was a car guy (business man) ended up buying it. Then he purchased Aston which saved some more jobs and added a famous name to the F1 brand. I think he might have the right to pick his own drivers. Time for some posters to get over their hate on for Sr. and Jr. Yes his son ended up with a ride but there are other drivers on the grid that are backed by rich fathers. The kid has had to put up with a lot of BS and at age 21 has come into his own this year and showed he belonged. I've been following F1 since the 50s and have had to pick quite a few different favorite drivers through the years. If your a real fan of F1 somewhere along the line your going to have to find another favorite. Perez and Hulk will probably find rides next year and if they don't that's how it goes in the business of F1.