[ 2020 ] Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
zeph

Re: [ 2020 ] Racing Point F1 Team - Mercedes

sprint car76 wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 07:23
Get tired of the "Perez saved the team". While he may have started the proceedings how do we not know that it wasn't Stroll Sr that advised him to do so.
How do we not know it wasn't Snoopy who advised him to do so?

holeindalip

sprint car76 wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 07:23
Get tired of the "Perez saved the team". While he may have started the proceedings how do we not know that it wasn't Stroll Sr that advised him to do so. In the end it was Stroll Sr. MONEY that saved the team. If Perez was worried about his job why didn't he get Carlos Slim to buy the team? What ended up happened here was a car guy (business man) ended up buying it. Then he purchased Aston which saved some more jobs and added a famous name to the F1 brand. I think he might have the right to pick his own drivers. Time for some posters to get over their hate on for Sr. and Jr. Yes his son ended up with a ride but there are other drivers on the grid that are backed by rich fathers. The kid has had to put up with a lot of BS and at age 21 has come into his own this year and showed he belonged. I've been following F1 since the 50s and have had to pick quite a few different favorite drivers through the years. If your a real fan of F1 somewhere along the line your going to have to find another favorite. Perez and Hulk will probably find rides next year and if they don't that's how it goes in the business of F1.
Stroll didn’t have anything to do with the team at that point in time, it was after they went into administration that stroll and partners came on board to take over

waynes

with them being in administration Stroll got them on the cheap as well

sprint car76

So the replies are "snoopy" and "didn't have anything to do with the team" and "he got it cheap". Which doesn't change anything. Stroll Sr. put up the money and bought the team and perez got paid . As much as some of you don't like Stroll Jr. he's going to be one of the drivers on Racing Point next year. Being a dad and now a granddad i spent my money trying to further my son and grandkids racing careers and never looked at it as being a negative. Stroll Sr is doing the same at a much higher level and i admire him for it. Racing is just a game (the only one for me) and i admire any driver who can get to that level. Hope you all have a good day because it's getting harder to find those good days.

SmallSoldier

sprint car76 wrote:So the replies are "snoopy" and "didn't have anything to do with the team" and "he got it cheap". Which doesn't change anything. Stroll Sr. put up the money and bought the team and perez got paid . As much as some of you don't like Stroll Jr. he's going to be one of the drivers on Racing Point next year. Being a dad and now a granddad i spent my money trying to further my son and grandkids racing careers and never looked at it as being a negative. Stroll Sr is doing the same at a much higher level and i admire him for it. Racing is just a game (the only one for me) and i admire any driver who can get to that level. Hope you all have a good day because it's getting harder to find those good days.
I don’t understand the hate to the Stroll’s either... I don’t think Lance is a great driver, but by no means is he one o the worst, he is actually holding his own against Perez, who is well regarded and with a lot more potential in the future since he has a higher ceiling for development.

Also, paid drivers have always been a part of F1, yes Stroll Sr. Buying a team may make Stroll Jr the driver that has paid the most for a seat, but he is probably better than any other pay driver that has been in the sport.

I don’t have much sympathy for Perez either, who in itself is a type of pay driver also with the sponsorship money he brings to the teams he races for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

erikejw

I completely agree.

What's the difference between Perez sponsors backing him with 30-40 millions from mega corporations and Stroll Sr backing his son?

Well, the difference is that large corporations is there to make money, for the business. If it's not profitable they leave the following year.

Stroll Sr is there for the passion of motorsport, his son and his first priority isn't to make a profit but to succeed on track. He's not writing checks, he's doing so much more, investing his time and creating new history.

That is how I look at it. RP is not my team and I never cheered for Stroll.

Money can open doors and give you opportunitys, but competing against the best in the world and make an impact is up to hard focused work during 10+ years.

Big Tea

It's all a matter of degrees of 'rich dad'. Compared to 90% of kids, their dad could not afford to buy them a starter like Formula Ford.
Its not just the car there is a LOT of expensive kit needed as well. Transport, time off work, no good if you are shift work in a factory etc. Once it becomes national or international drivers need substantial funding even before they got on the corporate ladder.

So it ends up with only the top few % even becoming a F3 or F4 driver.
If his dad is funding him from a billion, it is less than a guy on 100k getting his son in to begin with.
Don't know the cost of top carts, but I imagine it rules out a lot who do well on rentals too
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Racer X

This is just a rumor but so the new upgraded parts that were set to be on Sergios car... because Stroll crashed now they will go on Lances car. :lol: i hope Lance does not crash again yikes...
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

SmallSoldier

Racer X wrote:This is just a rumor but so the new upgraded parts that were set to be on Sergios car... because Stroll crashed now they will go on Lances car. :lol: i hope Lance does not crash again yikes...
Not surprising if that’s the case, not only Lance ahead in the WDC, he is the one staying with the team... The second half of the season will mean that PER will be a “second driver” in the team... Expect some crashes between the RP’s in the following races.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mwillems

erikejw wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 00:41
I completely agree.

What's the difference between Perez sponsors backing him with 30-40 millions from mega corporations and Stroll Sr backing his son?

Well, the difference is that large corporations is there to make money, for the business. If it's not profitable they leave the following year.

Stroll Sr is there for the passion of motorsport, his son and his first priority isn't to make a profit but to succeed on track. He's not writing checks, he's doing so much more, investing his time and creating new history.

That is how I look at it. RP is not my team and I never cheered for Stroll.

Money can open doors and give you opportunitys, but competing against the best in the world and make an impact is up to hard focused work during 10+ years.
Perfectly written point. I fully agree and also don't cheer for RP or Stroll.

Talking about Lance, he seems to be that guy who's improvement is incremental to the point that it can go unnoticed.

He's doing better this year than I would have expected. There's some way to go, but his ability is enough for F1 and I think there will be more to come.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Manoah2u

To be fair, I've kinda been 'positively' surprised with Lance as far back as his 'near win' @ Baku back in the day, which unfortunately for him got snatched by Ricciardo.
He then went a bit backwards into some 'grey area' but indeed seems like recently he found his Mojo back.
I get the feeling however that Stroll has quite a bit more in him but is held back by a lack of confidence. I'm not talking magical numbers here, just that little 'edge' which makes the difference in for example completely slipping away from a potential win @ Monza two weeks ago. I don't have all the data, but I think that he really had/has the potential to have won that GP, and that unfortunately he didn't 'make sufficient use' of his craft to actually 'get it'.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

mwillems

Manoah2u wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 21:24
To be fair, I've kinda been 'positively' surprised with Lance as far back as his 'near win' @ Baku back in the day, which unfortunately for him got snatched by Ricciardo.
He then went a bit backwards into some 'grey area' but indeed seems like recently he found his Mojo back.
I get the feeling however that Stroll has quite a bit more in him but is held back by a lack of confidence. I'm not talking magical numbers here, just that little 'edge' which makes the difference in for example completely slipping away from a potential win @ Monza two weeks ago. I don't have all the data, but I think that he really had/has the potential to have won that GP, and that unfortunately he didn't 'make sufficient use' of his craft to actually 'get it'.
Perhaps the consequence of working in the shadow of and for your enormously successful Dad? I have no idea what his relationship is like, but there must be a different pressure for him than other drivers, since his Dad has spent so much money and time to fund that team and will still expect results. Even if his Dad gives him no pressure, he must inside have some desire to make his Dad proud given the opportunity he has given him. Who knows what pressures exist inside his head but I'm sure it could be a whole lot more complex than for most drivers on the grid.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

NAPI10

FIA technical director has confirmed Racing Point can use old parts from Mercedes without having to lose any development tokens -
https://www.planetf1.com/news/racing-po ... en-system/

AM01 will be definitely a step forward from RP20.

siskue2005

NAPI10 wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 15:28
FIA technical director has confirmed Racing Point can use old parts from Mercedes without having to lose any development tokens -
https://www.planetf1.com/news/racing-po ... en-system/

AM01 will be definitely a step forward from RP20.
Some teams, for example Haas, use parts from the Ferrari from the same year. Racing Point buys parts from the car from the previous year.

“We have introduced homologation for cost reasons. What Mercedes and Racing Point do saves both parties money because it re-uses surplus material from the Mercedes warehouse and because the customer does not have to invest in the development of these components. Racing Point does not use these parts to make the car faster.

“But this is what you have to say about a team that always uses the manufacturer’s current car. That’s why we don’t want to take tokens away from Racing Point for this.

That justification seems good

No tokens if using old car's part
Tokens taken if using current car's parts
Seems Fair to me

I didnt know Hass et al were using current car's part

adrianjordan

Can't remember where, but I saw a video which explained that AM will still be limited because they won't be able to change enough of their car to properly benefit from the newer Merc parts.

I fully expect them to slip back firmly into the midfield next season.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️