2020 Tuscan Grand Prix - Mugello, September 11 - 13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
RZS10

Re: 2020 Tuscan Grand Prix - Mugello, September 11 - 13

Don't know how long this will stay up but it's onboards of Ocon, Kvyat, Russell, Magnussen and Norris

Kvyat left a big gap and closed it before realizing that the pack hadn't gone yet
Ocon is on/off throttle the entire time but ultimately just follows Kvyat
Russell did exactly the same as Kvyat
Magnussen same as Ocon
Norris had a comparatively consistent speed and did not weave at all, wonder why he got a warning tbh

Everyone behind those drivers essentially just followed the pack, they simply could not have know that Bottas hadn't restarted the race yet ...

El Scorchio

I think it’s a good idea to leave this off topic line of debate where it is and move on.

hollus

There was a race yesterday, but somehow it did not elicit a post every two minutes.
Cool down time.
Rivals, not enemies.

hollus

I have deleted roughly 10 pages of posts. If anyone comes here and wonders where sunday night and most of monday went...

So: Hamilton wore that shirt to the podium. If he had done it in the F1T forum, we could have decided that he was breaking the no politics rule. He did in that podium.
But the forum has a no politics policy, you all know it and the discussion became very political.

But wait a second... many claim that this is not politics, but something else. That might be right or that might be wrong. But when the elections in the country with the larges GDP in the planes has 2 parties that have chosen to make it a central policy issue and run to opposite corners, then it is political. Also in other countries many political parties have chosen to make it their issue. Essentially if enough people feel like it is political, then it becomes de facto political.
Also the fact that there was no other conversation going, the posts virtually every minute (did you even read through before replying) and the fact that the tone was escalating every half an hour tells me that it was political. Or it became political. I am happy that the interactions were over an internet forum and not in real life, because more than one might have been ready to start hitting the others in the head with a stick, or that was my impression.

It doesn't matter who is right or wrong, even if there is a right or wrong. In such political discussions, anything said will be strongly opposed by a sizeable portion of the population, and it quickly becomes personal and emotional. It is also quite visible that two contradicting versions of "what happened" quickly emerge. Quite a problem, that. The real world hasn't figured out how to deal with it either.

Now, the forum is called
FORMULA1
TECHNICAL
You are welcome to carry on political discussions elsewhere. But the overriding theme here is cars, sport and engineering.

I think everyone understand why religious discussion is off limits? Then I am sure you'll understand why the same applies to politics. The alternative is everyone jumping at each others necks.

Anyways, the forum policy is NO POLITICS. Please respect that.

Thread opened again, by the way.
Rivals, not enemies.

hollus

So, How did Russell manage to miss on that unique chance to get points? He was running 8th or 9th before the last red flag... did he botch the restart? Did he get bottled in the first corner? The TV was too busy with the leaders, and then he was 12th...
Rivals, not enemies.

Phil

I thought the race was brilliant.

We do need to talk about that safety car restart crash though - that was really ugly and had the potential of what happened to Billy Monger. Thankfully, it didnt. What a horrendous incident though...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

pb6797

Yes he botched the restart, but not helped by the guys behind him having been allowed to go round the circuit once to unlap themselves - warmer tyres and brakes.

Big Tea

hollus wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 20:34
I have deleted roughly 10 pages of posts. If anyone comes here and wonders where sunday night and most of monday went...

Hollus, Thank you for your effort on our behalf. I have no excuses except that this is such an absorbing site I get dragged along despite saying to myself I will not.

Your efforts are appreciated, and apologies from myself, and I am sure on behalf of others. =D>

Edit, PS this is not an arse kiss, We still need a big stick waved
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ringo

I think it was the restart that Vettel may have got him at. Vettel even apologizing to him.

This was was not that great to me. I think it came alive when the overtaking happened on the final restart.

What i realize is that Hamilton is racing machine, he doesn't seemed to be phased by pressure or mental fatigue from racing. Bottas has the speed to compete with him but for some reason Valteri cannot run consistently fast without overusing the tyres. It shows that he maybe is pushing too hard and sliding the car a bit compared to Lewis.
Im not sure what he can do to defeat Lewis if it doesn't mean playing dirty like Rosberg. Maybe this is what he needs to do, but Mercedes will not support him on that quest or tolerate it if he goes rogue and drives dirty. In 2016 Mercedes wanted to give Nico a fighting chance and they facilitated him having his side of the garage to devise all kinds of tactics. He was soundly beaten in 2014 and 2015 like Valteri is currently, but that decision to go All or nothing is what Valteri has to make his mind up for next year.

Leclerc is continuing to make Vettel look second rate. This track emphasized that. No surprises here.

Great race from Riciardo, he seems to be a real top driver. I hope the Mclaren is very good next year. He may be fighting Max's redbull.

Albons' race craft is finaly recognized. he has always been a very good racer, but his speed was his main problem. It seem to have resolved here. Maybe he has the speed and not the ability to keep the car in the sweet spot, who knows?

Stroll was driving really well here.. until he slid off track. I feel nothing was wrong with the car.. Maybe he just got tired and couldnt hold on and the car slid over the curbs.
For Sure!!

Sieper

The race was spectacular but boring.

Baulz

pb6797 wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 20:44
Yes he botched the restart, but not helped by the guys behind him having been allowed to go round the circuit once to unlap themselves - warmer tyres and brakes.
The 2nd red flag ruined his chance for points, I felt really bad for him and the Williams team as 9th place was looking solid.

I don't like the unlapping rule for these extra standing starts, what happens if someone is 2 laps down?

LM10

hollus wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 20:34

So: Hamilton wore that shirt to the podium. If he had done it in the F1T forum, we could have decided that he was breaking the no politics rule. He did in that podium.
But the forum has a no politics policy, you all know it and the discussion became very political.

But wait a second... many claim that this is not politics, but something else. That might be right or that might be wrong. But when the elections in the country with the larges GDP in the planes has 2 parties that have chosen to make it a central policy issue and run to opposite corners, then it is political. Also in other countries many political parties have chosen to make it their issue. Essentially if enough people feel like it is political, then it becomes de facto political.
Also the fact that there was no other conversation going, the posts virtually every minute (did you even read through before replying) and the fact that the tone was escalating every half an hour tells me that it was political. Or it became political. I am happy that the interactions were over an internet forum and not in real life, because more than one might have been ready to start hitting the others in the head with a stick, or that was my impression.

It doesn't matter who is right or wrong, even if there is a right or wrong. In such political discussions, anything said will be strongly opposed by a sizeable portion of the population, and it quickly becomes personal and emotional. It is also quite visible that two contradicting versions of "what happened" quickly emerge. Quite a problem, that. The real world hasn't figured out how to deal with it either.

Now, the forum is called
FORMULA1
TECHNICAL
You are welcome to carry on political discussions elsewhere. But the overriding theme here is cars, sport and engineering.

I think everyone understand why religious discussion is off limits? Then I am sure you'll understand why the same applies to politics. The alternative is everyone jumping at each others necks.

Thank you for cleaning up. I didn't have time to visit the forum after the race yesterday. I did it today morning only to get lost in all that several pages long political bs I'm absolutely sick of already.

Finally, back to the topic.

NathanOlder

Baulz wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 21:28
pb6797 wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 20:44
The 2nd red flag ruined his chance for points, I felt really bad for him and the Williams team as 9th place was looking solid.

I don't like the unlapping rule for these extra standing starts, what happens if someone is 2 laps down?
10th place was looking most likely. He was running 9th but Charles had just caught Seb and was over a second a lap faster than Seb and George due to his much fresher tyres. P10 was looking almost guarenteed. Such a shame, he and the team deserved that one!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC