General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Ispano.... You need to explain to us what is happening with Max's engine.. Any information from Japan?
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

_cerber1

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
14 Sep 2020, 01:29
Ispano.... You need to explain to us what is happening with Max's engine.. Any information from Japan?
I assure you that we will receive a message full of optimism and hope about the secret developments of Honda. You will never hear criticism of a Honda from this person.

ispano6

_cerber1 wrote: ↑
14 Sep 2020, 06:47
I assure you that we will receive a message full of optimism and hope about the secret developments of Honda. You will never hear criticism of a Honda from this person.
Far from it, I merely bring forth the truth against false claims and misleading translations.
Last edited by ispano6 on 14 Sep 2020, 07:27, edited 1 time in total.

ispano6

We won't know so soon after and will need to find out how much Honda is going to disclose.
I will say I had a conversation on Thursday about the current situation at Honda and after this weekend have concerns about the things that have been ongoing and transpired. Things aren't so random, coincidence and inconsequential as people may make them seem.

PlatinumZealot

There is a rumour going around that in order to put the fight to Mercedes, the engine in Max's RedBull in particular is turned up to a higher setting than the ones in the other three RedBulls....

Revs84

14 Sep 2020, 21:24
There is a rumour going around that in order to put the fight to Mercedes, the engine in Max's RedBull in particular is turned up to a higher setting than the ones in the other three RedBulls....
They used to run quali modes a few times per race weekend and still not have these kind of issues and they've only ran this PU in one race so far. So even if that's true, I don't see how such issues would be related. Overheating? Maybe, but the issue at Mugello? I doubt it.

Marti_EF3

That should be only the ERS settings. Because ICE modes must be the same for all 4 Honda PU

PlatinumZealot

Marti_EF3 wrote: ↑
14 Sep 2020, 21:43
That should be only the ERS settings. Because ICE modes must be the same for all 4 Honda PU

Say... Six maps are issued each race... All four ECUs have these six maps.. But Max is given permission to use Map #6.. Everybody else has access to them but are assigned to Map #5.

This is because Max has to fight Merxedes and he shoulders the risk. Maybe why Honda is so hush on things...

Marti_EF3

We won't know it anyway. Could be more agressive settings. Or maybe personal settings on how he wants to drive the car. Or that this PU have something wrong, and better to ditch it. Because the other PU are doing fine

windy1603

I thought the directive was the same engine mode must be used by all engines in a team (and all 4 honda powered cars are classed as one team) and when third engine is used it same mode on all manufactures engine irrespective of team.

So Max must have same base map as the other hondas

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

subcritical71

windy1603 wrote: ↑
14 Sep 2020, 22:05
I thought the directive was the same engine mode must be used by all engines in a team (and all 4 honda powered cars are classed as one team) and when third engine is used it same mode on all manufactures engine irrespective of team.

So Max must have same base map as the other hondas

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
Without direct access to the document it is very difficult to say. All I have seen is interpretations of the document, some of which contradict each other. I can't imagine that the PU manufacturer should be able to dictate which engine mode must be used and customers should be given a few modes, but all the modes must be the same between all PUs. But I also don't know the exact language so its all just guess work.

bigblue

Stupid question ... I (naively ?) thought that all engine modes were gone. You qualify with what you're going to race. However, everyone's still talking about modes so was I mistaken ?
Last edited by bigblue on 15 Sep 2020, 07:39, edited 1 time in total.

subcritical71

bigblue wrote: ↑
14 Sep 2020, 23:56
Stupid question ... I (naievely ?) thought that all engine modes were gone. You qualify with what you're going to race. However, everyone's still talking about modes so was I mistaken ?
Engine modes are locked from qualifying and race. But they can change week to week and during practice. The question i have is can teams run different modes from each other? I seem to recall they can even change engine modes during the lap as long as they do it every lap, but I may be mistaken on that one.

velizare

bigblue wrote: ↑
14 Sep 2020, 23:56
Stupid question ... I (naievely ?) thought that all engine modes were gone. You qualify with what you're going to race. However, everyone's still talking about modes so was I mistaken ?
they are not gone, i mean they are not completely removed from the ecus, but you cannot switch between them since start of qualification, but a few corner cases, like outlap in qualy.

bigblue

I thought I heard teams radioing their drivers during the race to switch something, maybe I was mistaken, or these are not engine-related settings, or these are MGU-related (is changing settings related to energy recovery still allowed ?).