Ferrari SF1000

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
kimmmykim

Re: Ferrari SF1000

Hey guys, the settlement between Ferrari and the FIA stated that Ferrari would help the FIA in policing the engines. Was the recently announced quali mode ban something that Ferrari had a hand with? I find it really hard to believe that their SF1000 has an engine without even the most basic quali mode (before the ban) in the same same year when it is banned.

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk

Schippke

LM10 wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 08:48
Do you guys really think it's that easy? To simply imagine mounting a significantly weaker PU in the Mercedes and add together lost hp to tell how much slower it eventually would be? That's not how it works, it's not a computer game.

PhillipM has already explained it very well. When building a new car you do it in accordance to all other parts and the PU is the main one. Ferrari has built the car around a much more powerful PU they thought they were going to have. As TDs hit them the car most probably was kind of finished already. On top of that they rushed the new PU.
From that point on you'll have balance issues all over the car and it's gonna be near impossible to turn things around mid-season, especially if development is frozen.
My apologies.I wasn't meaning to put down or question PhillipM's explanation; Indeed it was very elaborate and makes a lot of sense. I'm also well aware that 'it's not a computer game' and that the WHOLE package is what makes the car competitive, so no need to patronise.

Maybe I over complicated the scenarios and should've said "If Ferrari didn't get caught out and were able to continue with their development of the Power Unit as per usual last season, would the SF1000 be the class of the field?"

I personally don't think they'd be near Mercedes, most likely with Red Bull and fighting it out with Max... but I digress; This is a technical aspect of the forum so I should be saying this in the Team Forum.

I'll try refraining from chatting here unless its technically meaningful.

lio007

Naked Ferrari:

PhillipM

Schippke wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 07:59

Maybe I over complicated the scenarios and should've said "If Ferrari didn't get caught out and were able to continue with their development of the Power Unit as per usual last season, would the SF1000 be the class of the field?"
Maybe, maybe not, who can say for certain when Merc has such a great package. Would they be up there at the front with RB and Merc instead of languishing at the back of the midfield? Probably.

MtthsMlw

New RW endplates.
Via motorsport.com

jh199

MtthsMlw wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 21:42
New RW endplates.
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... mpa-1.webp
Via motorsport.com
The "Red Mercedes" design begins...

amr
amr

MtthsMlw wrote:
24 Sep 2020, 21:42
New RW endplates.
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... mpa-1.webp
Via motorsport.com
I there a slot just above the blue arrow?

Morteza

Last edited by Morteza on 26 Sep 2020, 08:36, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Sevach

Minor FW changes, newer version on top.

Sevach

Old FW Leclerc, New Vettel.

The reverse Leclerc has the newer model this time.
Last edited by Sevach on 25 Sep 2020, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.

MtthsMlw

This new FW is sort of a combination of the two versions used so far.
Flap profile is more similar to the launch spec one and the footplate is from the "styrian" one.

wowgr8

Sevach wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 14:04
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eiwk469WAAA ... =4096x4096

Looks like it's going back in the 2019 direction, not that that's happening, just an observation

nico5

Sevach wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 14:04
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eiwk469WAAA ... =4096x4096

While it might appear minor overall, I think all flaps and the mainplane have actually been reshaped, on top of the obvious endplate change

zibby43

kimmmykim wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 23:48
Hey guys, the settlement between Ferrari and the FIA stated that Ferrari would help the FIA in policing the engines. Was the recently announced quali mode ban something that Ferrari had a hand with? I find it really hard to believe that their SF1000 has an engine without even the most basic quali mode (before the ban) in the same same year when it is banned.

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk
Perhaps this discussion may be better suited for the PU or team threads, but to answer as succinctly as possible, yes, Ferrari absolutely lobbied the FIA about the qualifying mode ban.

And as Mark Hughes pointed out, it backfired on them.

"Any hope Ferrari may have about the imposition of a single engine mode helping it looks forlorn. From Monza, the FIA imposed a new Technical Directive that insisted only a single engine mode could be used from the beginning of qualifying to the end of the race. You can choose different modes for different tracks, but can no longer change during qualifying or race, effectively outlawing qually or overtaking modes that involved any changes to ignition timing, fuel flow, oil burn etc.

Because Ferrari was already extremely restricted in this regard (since the pre-season Technical Directives), it hoped that the ruling might bring the others down towards its level. All that appears to have happened is that any engine mileage previously used up by running the more aggressive modes has now been deployed instead – by Mercedes, Renault and Honda – to a stronger baseline mode. Charles Leclerc’s relatively strong qualifying and very poor race performance at Mugello suggests the ruling has simply switched around Ferrari’s strongest and weakest parts of the weekend."

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... -formula-1

Schippke

Just noticed another thing on the Camera Housings where the 'Horns' are located at the top of the intake... Charles running with 2 extended ones, where Vettel just running one of the near-side that is shorter.

I'm guessing it is being used for data gathering, rather than part of any update package...?

In saying that... I don't recall seeing them (the ones Charles' is running) before in previous Grand Prix.