[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Andres125sx wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 23:46
mwillems wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 11:37
I think that Andres125sx mentioned pit stops and bad luck, for instance. It's not bad luck, it's an inconsistency at pit stops that affected our results.
To be more precise, when I said bad luck I was refering to all the incidents suffered since the start of the season as a whole, not specifically those poor pitsops, those only add drama to the red flag wich could have been a victory, Sainz puncture with 2 laps to go when he was 4th, a weird PU problem in the formation lap wich supposed a DNS, and some other
Same for RP though, a DNS and a puncture in 3rd.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Marc.W

This weeks Unboxed

Emag

Now that the battle for 3rd is heating up, you really do feel the importance of those missed points from Sainz's bad luck. Especially that lost P4 on Silverstone. McLaren would have been nearly 30 points ahead of 4th place with those missed points. Quite a safe cushion compared to the 14 they have now. Can't really complain too much though, because RP and Renault have had some bad luck too.

Darth-Piekus

I can't say they had so much bad luck as Mclaren so far. We should have been at least 30 points in front of them.

_cerber1

Andreas Seidl: I don't think that our results fluctuate due to the fact that this or that track is better or worse for the car. Exactly the same swings between us and Renault we saw in Spa and Monza, although on those tracks the cars are tuned to a lower level of downforce than in Mugello.

It all comes down to finding the right settings, and this is influenced by factors such as the characteristics of the asphalt and the weather. For example, we found out that our car is very sensitive to a tailwind.

Chicane

The high wind direction sensitivity is something that has plagued the car since last season. The new nose is something i feel in that direction to make the airflow a bit more consistent and less susceptible to wind direction.
Quickshifter

Emag

Chicane wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 20:55
The high wind direction sensitivity is something that has plagued the car since last season. The new nose is something i feel in that direction to make the airflow a bit more consistent and less susceptible to wind direction.
The new nose alone isn't going to do ---. The concept has to be re-evaluated to find out what's causing the disruption. It's not as easy as swapping out a particular piece from the car.

CjC
CjC

_cerber1 wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 19:39
Andreas Seidl: I don't think that our results fluctuate due to the fact that this or that track is better or worse for the car. Exactly the same swings between us and Renault we saw in Spa and Monza, although on those tracks the cars are tuned to a lower level of downforce than in Mugello.

It all comes down to finding the right settings, and this is influenced by factors such as the characteristics of the asphalt and the weather. For example, we found out that our car is very sensitive to a tailwind.
I like Seidl because of comments like this one. It’s a measured approach unlike for example- Alan Permane of Renault who was pleased that Renault ‘comprehensively beat Racing Point, Mclaren and Ferrari at Mugello’

....so are we forgetting about what happened the week before at Monza Alan- where Mclaren finished second and were unlucky not to have Norris third if the race was uninterrupted by the red flag??

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15218 ... rce-tracks
Just a fan's point of view

Darth-Piekus

Alan Permane has forgotten that if Stroll hadn't taken Sainz out he would have passed both Renaults and both Racing Points and I am confident he would have finished in front of them.

proteus

Darth-Piekus wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 00:50
Alan Permane has forgotten that if Stroll hadn't taken Sainz out he would have passed both Renaults and both Racing Points and I am confident he would have finished in front of them.
He didnt take him out.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Andres125sx

I think people is talking about lack of consistency when there isn´t any. This is the tightest midfield I can remind, where it´s quite frequent to see 3 tenths betweeen the best of the rest and 15th, so any small mistake (wich all drivers and teams do) can make a huge difference in the results, but I don´t consider that lack of consistency, it´s just racing at top level.

Lack of consistency is that from Renault or Ferrari for example, where their perfomance changes drastically depending on the track

proteus

Mclaren has the biggest ace in its drivers. They are both on par and capable of delivering result. Shame Sainz got so unlucky, but otherwise they are more or less evenly matched. RP also have the same, while at Renault Esteban is lacking, while Daniel delivers +1.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

mafeotul

Andres125sx wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 08:02
I think people is talking about lack of consistency when there isn´t any. This is the tightest midfield I can remind, where it´s quite frequent to see 3 tenths betweeen the best of the rest and 15th, so any small mistake (wich all drivers and teams do) can make a huge difference in the results, but I don´t consider that lack of consistency, it´s just racing at top level.

Lack of consistency is that from Renault or Ferrari for example, where their perfomance changes drastically depending on the track
Looking at the current performance, my biggest desire is that the Merc PU coming next year, really integrates well from the get go. I feel that with the Merc power the boys would have been fighting RedBull this season.. I really hope this will be the case next year.

mwillems

Andres125sx wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 08:02

My point was not a lack of consistency by Mclaren, just a disagreement with an earlier post that we are more consistent than RP, as I think they have been a little more consistent than us. As I said, I'm happy with how we have got our points, and delighted with the fact we could challenge at Monza.

I do think that when the updates for RP go to both cars, we have a struggle on our hands to make sure we can challenge them. I felt that our car became a little faster and the engine regs gave us a little bit of help in qualification and so we became as fast as the pink merc on the whole (Which is amazing to see that the Mclaren is there or thereabouts with last years Merc), but this update may see them pull away. But we have only seen that update run at Mugello so time will tell. Hopefully we can bring some time to the car.

mwillems

CjC wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 23:16
_cerber1 wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 19:39

I like Seidl because of comments like this one. It’s a measured approach unlike for example- Alan Permane of Renault who was pleased that Renault ‘comprehensively beat Racing Point, Mclaren and Ferrari at Mugello’

....so are we forgetting about what happened the week before at Monza Alan- where Mclaren finished second and were unlucky not to have Norris third if the race was uninterrupted by the red flag??

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15218 ... rce-tracks
Whilst I'm happy our team don't get involved, I enjoy that bravado in F1. You used to see it more with drivers and as they became a little more sterile, it got a little more boring. I hope the bickering and chest beating amongst F1 leaders continues, because it always makes me chuckle!

I wouldn't mind it as much from Max if he was able to do it with a little more humour and charisma, who seems to be more dogmatic than enigmatic.