[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Jolle wrote:
17 Sep 2020, 00:32
proteus wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 15:34
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
16 Sep 2020, 15:13

They also plan/or already have to cut 20k workers in Germany. The plan was set in motion last year and COVID only expedited things.
Here in Sindelfingen where they have their main factory, everything went kinda calm lately... The cars are coming of the production line but it's a strange feeling...
It scares me when i am looking how fast automation progresses and i wonder what will happen with all of surpluss people. We cant be all vloggers and computer programmers.
That depends on what side of the political spectrum you think. It’s either “tough luck” or “universal basic income”.

Either way, if this trend in low human involvement production, continues, they still need consumers that buy the stuff. Mercedes can’t sell cars is everybody is sitting incomeless at home.
Its not just 'Which side of the political spectrum' as if people have no money, the rich have no where to take it from.
If you have no money the produce of factories or oil well is left unsold. In countries that have a benefir system, if no one if working, they do not pay taxes to replenish that system, pay politicians, bankers police and soldiers.

I see UBI of some sort as being the only possible way forward.
For instance, an older couple could then become a national resource. they look after the grand children, and great grand parents, saving much to the social services. Children can stay in education longer to become more valuable, and the elderly stay out of homes and hospitals.
It would probably need some sort of boosted credit system to get people working in say, cleaning or infrastructure, but environmental projects could probably get by with expenses.

I am a big fan of Musk and Space X, so maybe the new frontier is going to be exploring local space. There is still much to do in this world too.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

32Smooth

not sure if already posted - Behind the scenes, car preperation for qualifying in Hungary:

Jolle

Mercedes does make a good effort to make formula one interesting! nice video's :-) What I really appreciate is that they are not that sponsored features that you see sometimes (although they had some with Petronas in the past).

Really looks like they are proud of what they are doing as a team.

subcritical71

I’m surprised there is not more use of torque wrenches, especially for suspension parts.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Unf

Jolle wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 19:32
Mercedes does make a good effort to make formula one interesting! nice video's :-) What I really appreciate is that they are not that sponsored features that you see sometimes (although they had some with Petronas in the past).

They are just that far ahead of the rest that they can do such content. I bet if they would be in trouble, Toto would not let anyone there to waste a time for making funny videos ;)

Moore77

Unf wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 15:53
Jolle wrote:

They are just that far ahead of the rest that they can do such content. I bet if they would be in trouble, Toto would not let anyone there to waste a time for making funny videos ;)
This might just be the reason why they are successful! The opportunity that they provide for so many "behind the scenes" heroes (leaders, engineers, technicians, mechanics and other staff) to be in front of camera and an opportunity to talk about what they do, represents the culture that prevails in that organization. It makes everyone feel important and makes everyone feel "a part of it". A Successful team, is also a place that recognizes, rewards and encourages everyone in the team and provide the opportunities to be on the center stage.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

Just_a_fan

Moore77 wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 16:00
A Successful team, is also a place that recognizes, rewards and encourages everyone in the team and provide the opportunities to be on the center stage.
Mercedes do embody that old adage: we win together, we lose together. They do seem to have a very good internal environment.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

Morteza wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 13:05
https://youtu.be/9qMEWG3PrR4
It amazes me they say they can see the 'damage' to each tyre on a particular corner. That is so difficult to get my head around. hat woul that be? a few meters to a couple hundred meters and they (seem to) have before and after readings of 'damage'? incredable

e30ernest

Big Tea wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 16:28
Morteza wrote:
It amazes me they say they can see the 'damage' to each tyre on a particular corner. That is so difficult to get my head around. hat woul that be? a few meters to a couple hundred meters and they (seem to) have before and after readings of 'damage'? incredable
Probably the temperature spikes per corner? I'm sure the other teams can do that too.

I do find it intriguing that there is sharing of data between Lewis and Valtteri on where either is gaining/losing time. I remember reading somewhere in these forums that such data wasn't being shared between Mercedes drivers.

etusch

32Smooth wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 19:03
not sure if already posted - Behind the scenes, car preperation for qualifying in Hungary:
Springs looks like this.

adrianjordan

Unf wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 15:53
Jolle wrote:

Or maybe that explains Ferrari's current form.... They have the PR Team working on the car performance 🤔🤔🤨
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
Morteza wrote:
I would guess that it's to do with temperature and there's probably some linking of vertical load and lateral load and movement too. After all, if there's lateral movement and a temperature spike then that's probably indicative of a tyre that's sliding and causing increased wear and thermal degradation.

I was interested to hear that they have over 100 pressure taps on the race car to monitor the aero performance. I'd assumed they just monitored suspension loads to see that the car was doing, but it they have lots of pressure readings on the wings and floor, it's no wonder the drivers ask engineers to check the front wing etc. - I assume all of the teams do this to some degree. It also explains the wiring we see in the front wings when they're damaged - they're for pressure sensors for aero monitoring.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 23:07
Big Tea wrote:
Morteza wrote:
I would guess that it's to do with temperature and there's probably some linking of vertical load and lateral load and movement too. After all, if there's lateral movement and a temperature spike then that's probably indicative of a tyre that's sliding and causing increased wear and thermal degradation.

I was interested to hear that they have over 100 pressure taps on the race car to monitor the aero performance. I'd assumed they just monitored suspension loads to see that the car was doing, but it they have lots of pressure readings on the wings and floor, it's no wonder the drivers ask engineers to check the front wing etc. - I assume all of the teams do this to some degree. It also explains the wiring we see in the front wings when they're damaged - they're for pressure sensors for aero monitoring.

A while back, I think during poor whether, some noticed a 'light' beneath some cars.

I wonder if it was some method of monitoring slip ( to compare against rotation), now probably modernised and replaced with non visible frequency?