Home made bench grinder / drill

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Steven
Owner

Home made bench grinder / drill

Hi,

I'm trying to build myself a circular grinder (or fixed drill) for a bench, but I'm left wondering which motor to use for that. I've seen some DIY videos here and there, with some people using motors really big motors, but I think something like in a hand drill would do.

Essentially, I want a motor that I can "easily" fix on a board, with adjustable speed (0 - 200rpm would actually be enough)

Any ideas where I could find such a "simple" motor and speed control?

Big Tea

Re: Home made bench grinder / drill

Steven wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 21:21
Hi,

I'm trying to build myself a circular grinder (or fixed drill) for a bench, but I'm left wondering which motor to use for that. I've seen some DIY videos here and there, with some people using motors really big motors, but I think something like in a hand drill would do.

Essentially, I want a motor that I can "easily" mounted on a board, with adjustable speed (0 - 200rpm would actually be enough)

A drill. You get the chuck then too. you can replace the trigger with a Potentiometer if you use a cordless too.

For a quick job, I use a 'handle' that used to clamp on behind the chuck bolted to a 'G' clamp.

( https://uk.banggood.com/search/dc-motor ... l?from=nav )
Last edited by Big Tea on 22 Sep 2020, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Steven
Owner

Your link doesn't work...

Big Tea

Steven wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 08:25
Sorry, tried several times to correct it but having no luck .

search at banggood.com for dc-motor speed control. Any of these, the cheapest is fine.

I use the original 'trigger' on one with a cable tie around it.

( https://uk.banggood.com/Universal-Mini- ... rehouse=CN ) if you are able to clamp the drill, some do not have a suitable place.

Do you need it large? Mostly I use a dremel style tool that comes in a kit for around £20 (cheap ones not real Dremel) . There are so many good projects on youtube to do just about anything with them

nzjrs

Big Tea wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 10:35
Steven wrote:

search at banggood.com for dc-motor speed control. Any of these, the cheapest is fine.

( https://uk.banggood.com/Universal-Mini- ... rehouse=CN ) if you are able to clamp the drill, some do not have a suitable place.

Do you need it large? Mostly I use a dremel style tool that comes in a kit for around £20 (cheap ones not real Dremel) . There are so many good projects on youtube to do just about anything with them
I've done a few home made CNC type things and I would agree with Big Tea about the drill in principle.

I think things like dremel and routers (used for home made CNC, e.g. DWP611) have very poor low RPM torque, which would rule them out for use as a grinder I guess.

Big Tea

nzjrs wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 10:45
Big Tea wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 10:35
Steven wrote:

I've done a few home made CNC type things and I would agree with Big Tea about the drill in principle.

I think things like dremel and routers (used for home made CNC, e.g. DWP611) have very poor low RPM torque, which would rule them out for use as a grinder I guess.

The 775 motor in most drills is poor for torque too but usually work through a planetary gearbox to multiply it.
A small dia. grinder in a dremel tool is usually quite good, but as you say, as it goes to larger dia. disks it stalls.

Steven
Owner

I think I'm going going to get some cheap motor and a pwm voltage regulator, and see how far that gets me.
Maybe I'll learn a thing or two from this, and then know if it's sufficient, or what I really need to look for.

dans79

Steven wrote:
21 Sep 2020, 21:21
Hi,

Essentially, I want a motor that I can "easily" fix on a board, with adjustable speed (0 - 200rpm would actually be enough)

What exactly are you trying to build, I'm not really seeing it. Sounds almost like you want to make a slow speed carbide lap.

Without knowing more, the first thing that comes to mind is a small stepper motor (nema 17 or 23), and then you could just control it with a raspberry pi or arduino.
197 104 103 7

Big Tea

There is a very basic one here. you can modify it in many ways

( )

kalinka

a washing-machine universal motor would be OK for you. It has a great low RPM torque, and can be controlled with simple controllers. The downside is, it is quite big and heavy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qFUQw2IHwg

kalinka

kalinka wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 08:05
a washing-machine universal motor would be OK for you. It has a great low RPM torque, and can be controlled with simple controllers. The downside is, it is quite big and heavy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qFUQw2IHwg
EDIT: Also, it has a tach out which helps with precise RPM control, and the RPM can be measured easily with a simple microcontroller, or a dedicated circuit.