2020 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, September 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
siskue2005

Re: 2020 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, September 25 - 27

"Unfortunately in Turn 2, I had someone on the inside, and I ran a bit wide," Sainz said.

"By the time I decided to go around the bollard, I went around the bollard with a very, very narrow angle, and I misjudged my entry speed around the bollard and hit the wall pretty heavily.

"A misjudgement by my side, a mistake. I still think that corner shouldn't exist. It's not a very nice corner to drive around, and it generates these kind of situation. But I just misjudged it.

"It's still a corner that is not well designed. You saw today in the race just how many people are missing that apex, and having to go around the bollards, destroying the bollards, it's clearly not a great corner."

Sainz says the turn 2 shouldnt exist

I say they should extend that to Turn 1 and all the way up to Turn 18.

The track shouldn't exist at all. IMO :lol:

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

jz11 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 20:55
Diesel wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 20:46
There's nothing in the race notes that says the location Hamilton used was against the regs, it also doesn't state where they should be doing practice starts.
look at the map I posted, read those 19.1 and 19.2 again and think - why it would be bad if someone stopped there and made others behind him exiting pits to enter the track there
But there was room, it's more than 2 cars wide there, and the cars that went passed didn't need to enter the track. So your point is null and void.

nevill3

Hamilton said on the radio "there is a lot of rubber here" when he stopped behind a Racing point to do a practice start just after the lights. He then asked if he was allowed to move further up and was told it was OK but to ensure that he did not impede anybody else.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

jz11 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 20:54
now this is funny, I don't hate him at all, I started to dislike his antics as of late regarding the politics outside F1, but I have absolutely no hatred at all for him

he messed up with the flag boards, didn't notice 2 of them, now his race engineer failed him - that is what I see

yet you somehow see some conspiracy of stewards against him... and of course he is being scrutinized more than the rest, and it is not because of his skin color, but because he is the best, at the top of his game leading the championship - yet somehow this to some means that they should ignore his and teams mistakes exactly because of that, that is called calling for double standard - and that I absolutely despise!

I disagree, the rules are being made up as they go along, read the race notes, and then read the notes on the penalty. They say two different things.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Diesel wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 19:53
Masi is a moron, he's ruining the sport with the constant meddling, Charlie must be turning in his grave.
Charlie was just as bad if not worse, neither were/are fit for the position. Officiating in F1 is by far the worse in any major sport. I've seen high school basketball games better officiated. Masi will get someone killed, mark my words.

El Scorchio

siskue2005 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 20:58
"Unfortunately in Turn 2, I had someone on the inside, and I ran a bit wide," Sainz said.

"By the time I decided to go around the bollard, I went around the bollard with a very, very narrow angle, and I misjudged my entry speed around the bollard and hit the wall pretty heavily.

"A misjudgement by my side, a mistake. I still think that corner shouldn't exist. It's not a very nice corner to drive around, and it generates these kind of situation. But I just misjudged it.

"It's still a corner that is not well designed. You saw today in the race just how many people are missing that apex, and having to go around the bollards, destroying the bollards, it's clearly not a great corner."

Sainz says the turn 2 shouldnt exist

I say they should extend that to Turn 1 and all the way up to Turn 18.

The track shouldn't exist at all. IMO :lol:
I’d take his comments and apply them to the whole circuit!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

jz11 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 20:45
so what are the sections of that exact lane called to the left and right of the segment shown in your picture?

AGAIN - why no one else got these penalties, and where did they do their practice starts?!
An old image but shows what the fast lane is. This is the bit that drivers must not stop in. It starts at the pit entry line and ends at the pit lane lights - it's the bit that the speed limit applies to.

If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Just to call out something else in the race directors notes, after Lance Stroll crashed he immediately removed his helmet, gloves & top half of his overalls...
25.2 Should a car stop on the track during a session, the driver must keep all of their protective clothing (Helmet, Gloves, etc) on until they have returned to their garage.

jz11
jz11

Diesel wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 20:59
jz11 wrote:
Diesel wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 20:46
There's nothing in the race notes that says the location Hamilton used was against the regs, it also doesn't state where they should be doing practice starts.
look at the map I posted, read those 19.1 and 19.2 again and think - why it would be bad if someone stopped there and made others behind him exiting pits to enter the track there
But there was room, it's more than 2 cars wide there, and the cars that went passed didn't need to enter the track. So your point is null and void.
I see there is room, but why would you intentionally allow such a thing? you're asking for trouble, because if the driver behind the stopping one overreacts, he can steer right into the racing line, or very close to it

there was that saying that sounded like this - rules in motorsport are written in blood, and when someone tries to write a rule that would prevent this - we have some up in arms and complaining about it...

if I was his race engineer and red that rule, it isn't clear cut, but I see the reason for it, so I'd go to stewards with the map and ask - point where you think it is safe to do practice starts - it is that simple, and no one hands out penalties for that

this time it is very obvious that they did exactly the thing they specifically tried to prevent and wrote those 19.1 and 19.2 for, and dished out penalties accordingly

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Diesel wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 21:06
Just to call out something else in the race directors notes, after Lance Stroll crashed he immediately removed his helmet, gloves & top half of his overalls...
25.2 Should a car stop on the track during a session, the driver must keep all of their protective clothing (Helmet, Gloves, etc) on until they have returned to their garage.
Yep that had me raising my eyebrows too.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

jz11 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 21:08
Diesel wrote:
jz11 wrote:

I see there is room, but why would you intentionally allow such a thing? you're asking for trouble, because if the driver behind the stopping one overreacts, he can steer right into the racing line, or very close to it

there was that saying that sounded like this - rules in motorsport are written in blood, and when someone tries to write a rule that would prevent this - we have some up in arms and complaining about it...

if I was his race engineer and red that rule, it isn't clear cut, but I see the reason for it, so I'd go to stewards with the map and ask - point where you think it is safe to do practice starts - it is that simple, and no one hands out penalties for that

this time it is very obvious that they did exactly the thing they specifically tried to prevent and wrote those 19.1 and 19.2 for, and dished out penalties accordingly
I disagree. Also, it was before the race start, that's like issuing a yellow card to a footballer for a handball in the changing room.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Diesel wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 21:11
jz11 wrote:
Diesel wrote:

I disagree. Also, it was before the race start, that's like issuing a yellow card to a footballer for a handball in the changing room.
Don't go giving them ideas. Masi and his mob will be trawling through Hamilton’s SM accounts next.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Restomaniac wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 21:22
Don't go giving them ideas. Masi and his mob will be trawling through Hamilton’s SM accounts next.
They should go have a look through Mika Salo's text messages...

El Scorchio

Every race we seem to be discussing what seem obvious bad decisions or inconsistencies from the stewards, race director or FIA (affecting many drivers and teams) such a shame really.

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

jz11 wrote:
Diesel wrote:
jz11 wrote:

How is that different to practice starts from where everyone else did them though? THey can pull out at the wrong time as someone is driving by in the fast lane in exactly the same way. How is it more dangerous 10 or 100m away if it's literally the same situation. Cars can be coming faster on the left and cars on the right could go on a practice start at any moment.