[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
the EDGE

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

PhillipM wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 02:43
Someone hit his front wheel at the start IIRC - probably bent a tie rod or the rack
Wouldn’t all of those parts be CF?

proteus

the EDGE wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 10:32
PhillipM wrote:
Someone hit his front wheel at the start IIRC - probably bent a tie rod or the rack
Wouldn’t all of those parts be CF?
Joints and interior are not CF.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

mwillems

Big Tea wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 02:22
I heard him say something on the radio about the steering tightening up on lock. It was not mentioned after, so I assumed it was wreckage jammed in somewhere and cleared it's self.

Just getting shuffled to the back of the line was a big disadvantage there too
He says the steering damage affected him through the race, coming and going.

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2020/ ... _Prix.html
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

PhillipM wrote:
Listening to the Team Radio for Norris, it seems to be related to the debris he went over trying to avoid Carlos.

He says that turning left was fine, but when turning right it was rotating too easy, like something was giving way.
Later on about 7 minutes in he talks about it being inconsistent, through corners and then sometimes between corners.
He also talks about how the steering issue was hindering him managing the tyres as he has no feel for the wheel and couldn't manage traction.

Throughout, the team were talking as if he were one stopping, but it seems like the steering issue prevented him from feeling the road and managing the tyres, plus he flat spotted them on lap 46 which finished them off.

The turn 1 incident from around 4:20 in the video.

Darth-Piekus

So it seems that I was right after all and Norris's car had damage. It was clear it wasn't behaving like it should as it should not have had so many problems passing the Williams, Haas and then chase the Alpha Tauri.

ezzeddein

SmallSoldier wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 15:40
Emag wrote:
ezzeddein wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 09:53
i think we miss Pat Fry
this season car development is slowly
This season the development is slow because of the corona virus, not because Pat Fry isn't there. The factory was shut down for way too long. Have you seen any other team who has been bringing more parts to the track than McLaren?
Exactly... I don’t think development has been slow at all considering Covid and all other factors... At least it doesn’t seem slower than other teams.

In addition, the team is balancing current upgrades, with next year upgrades and an engine change in a few months... While making sure that the car has enough parts every week in a very compressed season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Emag ,the EDGE & SmallSoldier

Firstly, thanks for the clarification =D> =D>
But I mean that our upgrade did not achieve the required speed to compete with the Renault and the Racing Point

i sorry about my languish because i am not native speaking [-o< [-o<

PhillipM

One of the Alpha Tauri cars hit his front left wheel. Easy as that.

mwillems

PhillipM wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 13:23
One of the Alpha Tauri cars hit his front left wheel. Easy as that.
There we go, job done.

_cerber1

In Mugello and in Sochi, McLaren tested a new nose cone, and the team is preparing a new bottom for the stage at the Nurburgring. The head of McLaren Andreas Seidl is pleased with the effectiveness of new products and hopes to use these developments in the car next year.

Andreas Seidl: “We wanted to test new items as early as possible, so we decided to gradually bring them to the track - as soon as the parts of the new body kit were ready.

Having tested different nose cone concepts in a wind tunnel and on CFD computers, we have chosen the optimal direction for working with the machine and will stick to it - this way we will really increase its efficiency. We plan to gradually bring in new parts of this body kit in order to achieve an increase in speed.

In Sochi, the novelties worked as we expected. We have not made significant progress, but we see that the new products have great potential - not only this year, but also next. We will take the next step at the Nurburgring, where we will bring some more new parts. "

M840TR

_cerber1 wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 14:29
In Mugello and in Sochi, McLaren tested a new nose cone, and the team is preparing a new bottom for the stage at the Nurburgring. The head of McLaren Andreas Seidl is pleased with the effectiveness of new products and hopes to use these developments in the car next year.

Andreas Seidl: “We wanted to test new items as early as possible, so we decided to gradually bring them to the track - as soon as the parts of the new body kit were ready.

Having tested different nose cone concepts in a wind tunnel and on CFD computers, we have chosen the optimal direction for working with the machine and will stick to it - this way we will really increase its efficiency. We plan to gradually bring in new parts of this body kit in order to achieve an increase in speed.

In Sochi, the novelties worked as we expected. We have not made significant progress, but we see that the new products have great potential - not only this year, but also next. We will take the next step at the Nurburgring, where we will bring some more new parts. "
Source?

_cerber1

M840TR wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 15:24
Source?
Through a translator.

https://www.f1news.ru/news/f1-147875.html

SmallSoldier

ezzeddein wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 15:40
Emag wrote: This season the development is slow because of the corona virus, not because Pat Fry isn't there. The factory was shut down for way too long. Have you seen any other team who has been bringing more parts to the track than McLaren?
Exactly... I don’t think development has been slow at all considering Covid and all other factors... At least it doesn’t seem slower than other teams.

In addition, the team is balancing current upgrades, with next year upgrades and an engine change in a few months... While making sure that the car has enough parts every week in a very compressed season.

Emag ,the EDGE & SmallSoldier

Firstly, thanks for the clarification =D> =D>
But I mean that our upgrade did not achieve the required speed to compete with the Renault and the Racing Point

No issues... This is a discussion forum and you can have your opinions (even when some may not agree with you).

The reason why the new upgrades aren’t working (the new nose and new wing) is because is part of a larger package (meaning, it has to work with other parts in order to maximize it’s performance)... Those new parts have yet to come to the car and will be there soon... Once all the pieces of the puzzle are in place, we will know if the upgrades brought more performance or not.

the EDGE

ezzeddein wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 12:58

I don't think you can draw that conclusion

Car performance between teams has always fluctuated depending on circuit characteristics. Even the Mercedes cars perform better at some track than others, albeit their car is so far ahead they seem to still come out on top anyway.

What has been great with McLaren has been that although not always the fastest of the midfield, it has always been there or thereabouts, when RP, Renault & Ferrari have perhaps had a some great & some not so great performances

That said, RP were always ahead of us, they just didn't show it to start with whilst they got to grip understanding the car bought (sorry, designed!) . I don't believe their recent upgrade has given them any significant improvement either, besides, most of their upgrade was simply installing Mercedes parts and making the necessary adjustments to the package to optimise the performance.

It is true Renault seem to have made good progress with small upgrades to all areas but they have not introduced anything significantly differently, they are just optimising what they have & optimisation has its limits and usually only brings small gains overall

As it stands McLaren are clearly in the mix still with the other leading midfield teams. They are still 3rd in the championship (albeit RP were deducted 15 points) and had the Drivers managed to keep out of trouble over the last few weeks I'm sure the gap would be bigger.

McLaren's initial bargeboard upgrades were part of their original development path, we are now seeing the start of the work that was undertaken when it was decided to roll-over the chassis to 2022. They probably wouldn't have even been able to start on this until May due to enforced factory shutdowns, so 3 or 4 months from design to production of a new package including crash testing a new nose is actually pretty good

I think this can be considered a substantial package, far greater then we have seen by other teams, although I'm sure they will all be working on something of a similar size for next year

The homologation of the front crash structure (the new nose) which takes place tomorrow, has probably meant McLaren have had to introduce it ahead of time of where they probably would have ideally done so to meet the deadline. As pointed out above, the new nose on its own does not bring lap time but does open up the current package for further development which is well underway. its hoped the new package all together will be a decent step forward

At present McLaren may be the 4th or even the 5th fastest car depending circuit, but lets see where we stand in a months time, and next year before we debate who's development path has been steepest

godlameroso

McLaren didn't have the pace or the strategy. They left Norris out too long on the hards, I think pitting him 10 laps earlier would have yielded a better position. The advantage of fresher tires towards the end of the race is very powerful, and McLaren didn't take advantage of their ability to save tires. He needed pace in the 39's to make it work however his pace was 10th place at best here.

Fortunately McLaren has some updates that will work with the new front wing, hopefully that hauls them up to where they were before pace wise.
Saishū kōnā

djos

the EDGE wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 16:01
It is true Renault seem to have made good progress with small upgrades to all areas but they have not introduced anything significantly differently, they are just optimising what they have & optimisation has its limits and usually only brings small gains overall
Most of Renault's gains seem to be related to Daniel getting adventurous with the setup rather than any major developments. He's been dominating Ocon massively and Ocon was very highly rated by most folk (I personally thought he'd be more competitive too).

Anyway, it all bodes very well for next season when he jumps into his McLaren Mercedes - it's really not hard to see why Zack wanted him at McLaren so badly*. He's damned impressive!

*and why Renault was acting so butt-hurt when he announced his departure.
"In downforce we trust"