[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Andres125sx

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

* and also it´s really hard to understand RBR blaming him for nothing, just to allow Max keep doing wrong things. Now they got with Albon what they deserve, an average driver at most

CjC
CjC

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.
We are racing Ricanult for 3rd in the constructors this year :lol:
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

godlameroso wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 00:38
McLaren didn't have the pace or the strategy. They left Norris out too long on the hards, I think pitting him 10 laps earlier would have yielded a better position. The advantage of fresher tires towards the end of the race is very powerful, and McLaren didn't take advantage of their ability to save tires. He needed pace in the 39's to make it work however his pace was 10th place at best here.

Fortunately McLaren has some updates that will work with the new front wing, hopefully that hauls them up to where they were before pace wise.
They were planning on keeping him out until he locked up and finished the tyres off.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

the EDGE

mwillems wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 09:32
godlameroso wrote:
McLaren didn't have the pace or the strategy. They left Norris out too long on the hards, I think pitting him 10 laps earlier would have yielded a better position. The advantage of fresher tires towards the end of the race is very powerful, and McLaren didn't take advantage of their ability to save tires. He needed pace in the 39's to make it work however his pace was 10th place at best here.

Fortunately McLaren has some updates that will work with the new front wing, hopefully that hauls them up to where they were before pace wise.
They were planning on keeping him out until he locked up and finished the tyres off.
He was loosing performance long before the lock-up, and the reason he locked-up was because the tyre was on the limit already

I understand McLaren were holding hoping for another SC, but let be honest... Sod’s law says that was not going to happen!

I agree with godlameroso, committing early to a 2 stop (like Albon) and sending Lando out in full attack mode would have been a better strategy, At the very least it would’ve made the fans happier

godlameroso

the EDGE wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 12:42
mwillems wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

He was loosing performance long before the lock-up, and the reason he locked-up was because the tyre was on the limit already

I understand McLaren were holding hoping for another SC, but let be honest... Sod’s law says that was not going to happen!

I agree with godlameroso, committing early to a 2 stop (like Albon) and sending Lando out in full attack mode would have been a better strategy, At the very least it would’ve made the fans happier
Hoping for a safety car is like making a plan to bite someone in a fight. Just a good way to lose your teeth.
Saishū kōnā

Chicane

Mercedes is a well oiled machine cos they rarely do mistakes but when they do they make sure they do not repeat them. The drivers, the race team or the design and development group, all have to set the bar high and pull in the same direction.

Mclaren have a long long way to go before reaching the sharp end of the grid so they have to look at every mistake as an opportunity to cut the gap to the front. Yes actual constructors position helps them with more money but the real target is to start chipping away in every single area.

2022 car will be a clean slate of paper but the 2021 car will help them understand aero concept as they go on developing the 2022 challenger. From next year one big variable on terms of engine will not be there. A top tier world class driver is arriving eho will extract everything out of the car, so another variable is out.

Middle of 2021 McLaren will have a new simulator online and wind tunnel will be operational sometime in 2022. Seidl has spoken about fighting for race wins from 2023, so Mclaren have two and half seasons to go before they are going to be fighting for wins.

Yes results matter but they need to start ensuring they start getting every single area up to scratch to achieve their aims. Engine, driver, wind tunnel and simulator are on track but there is still plenty to get right. Fortunately for McLaren they have a stable management and technical structure but they need to start raising the bar and avoid repeating unforced errors.

This is a journey every McLaren fan is looking at with optimism. Financially McLaren are making sure the McLaren racing team is not affected by the rest of the group. Hopefully under Seidl and Zak McLaren can return to the winning ways as soon as possible.
Quickshifter

mwillems

the EDGE wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 12:42
mwillems wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

Oh I'm not trying to suggest what would be the best strategy, just that from the team radio you could tell they were trying to keep him out.

mwillems

PhillipM wrote:
29 Sep 2020, 13:23
One of the Alpha Tauri cars hit his front left wheel. Easy as that.
https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/5748 ... g-problem/

Apparently it was the debris that caused the steering issues, according to Norris.

diffuser

Andres125sx wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 07:50
* and also it´s really hard to understand RBR blaming him for nothing, just to allow Max keep doing wrong things. Now they got with Albon what they deserve, an average driver at most
Yeah, that does suck for RBR. Now they've got nowhere to go. I like the Perez idea but that's so not RBR.

I like Ricciardo at McLaren though Norris has me scratching my head. His pace was nowhere all week. Seems that it's been all Sainz the last few tracks. Even though Sainz has DNF'd, he has had the Better pace.

Also like this Alonso going to Renault with Renault on a upward trend. First good news for Alo in a decade.

adrianjordan

diffuser wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 03:59
Andres125sx wrote:
Yeah, that does suck for RBR. Now they've got nowhere to go. I like the Perez idea but that's so not RBR.

I like Ricciardo at McLaren though Norris has me scratching my head. His pace was nowhere all week. Seems that it's been all Sainz the last few tracks. Even though Sainz has DNF'd, he has had the Better pace.

Also like this Alonso going to Renault with Renault on a upward trend. First good news for Alo in a decade.
Yeah, but with Alonso arriving there's no guarantee they don't peak and start going back down again. Just given his luck in the past lol.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

CjC
CjC

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... OPBG8.html

Zac makes a few interesting Points about Sainz and Ricciardo
Just a fan's point of view

diffuser

adrianjordan wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 08:59
diffuser wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 03:59
Andres125sx wrote:

Yeah, but with Alonso arriving there's no guarantee they don't peak and start going back down again. Just given his luck in the past lol.
Rofl, yeah tell me about it!

diffuser

CjC wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 13:27

Vettel's pissed but, hey I would have gotten rid of him too. The fact that Ferrari wanted someone signed before news got out of how far they had fallen is no surprise. So, even though living with Vettel this year is a pain, it's better that the alternative of having to stick with him or someone lessor than Sainz for two more years.

I don't agree with the lack of unity over at the other teams. Both Perez, Ricciardo and their respective teams are working well together to maximize their packages. Certainly it isn't a great situation with them wanting to move/be moved.
For the life of me I don't understand RP going for Vettel. The way he's acting unprofessionally at Ferrari this year. He also going into a situation where he knows he's the number 2 driver. I'd be worried that he's gonna pout at RP when faced with reality of #2.

the EDGE

diffuser wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 14:16
CjC wrote:

Vettel's pissed but, hey I would have gotten rid of him too. The fact that Ferrari wanted someone signed before news got out of how far they had fallen is no surprise. So, even though living with Vettel this year is a pain, it's better that the alternative of having to stick with him or someone lessor than Sainz for two more years.

I don't agree with the lack of unity over at the other teams. Both Perez, Ricciardo and their respective teams are working well together to maximize their packages. Certainly it isn't a great situation with them wanting to move/be moved.
For the life of me I don't understand RP going for Vettel. The way he's acting unprofessionally at Ferrari this year. He also going into a situation where he knows he's the number 2 driver. I'd be worried that he's gonna pout at RP when faced with reality of #2.
I honestly believe Carlos would still sign for Ferrari tomorrow if asked. It’s Ferrari, you just don’t pass on an option to sign for Ferrari (unless your already with a top team like Max & Lewis)

Many drivers come to F1 and never win a race again, let alone a championship,

Driving for Ferrari is the next best thing, and I say that despite being in McLaren fan

But I totally agree about Vettel, perhaps he will surprise us all next year, we’ll see.

But let’s be honest, this is about marketing Aston Martin, not winning Formula One races. Europe is there market, not Mexico, and Seb is a famous German driver with 4 titles to his name.

Darth-Piekus

the EDGE wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 15:56
diffuser wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 14:16
CjC wrote:

I honestly believe Carlos would still sign for Ferrari tomorrow if asked. It’s Ferrari, you just don’t pass on an option to sign for Ferrari (unless your already with a top team like Max & Lewis)

Many drivers come to F1 and never win a race again, let alone a championship,

Driving for Ferrari is the next best thing, and I say that despite being in McLaren fan

But I totally agree about Vettel, perhaps he will surprise us all next year, we’ll see.

But let’s be honest, this is about marketing Aston Martin, not winning Formula One races. Europe is there market, not Mexico, and Seb is a famous German driver with 4 titles to his name.
There was a time where Mclaren was the top name in F1. The leadership should do anything possible to make Mclaren the top team that everyone wants to go to.