Honda leaving F1.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
coaster

Re: Honda leaving F1.

I recall a tall deck V6 with sohc rocker arm similar to crf450 motorcycle.
Seems strange for a race only design, one imagines a short deck, dohc for a cleansheet design.

Edit, i mixed it up with the daytona engine.
HR35TT
Last edited by coaster on 04 Oct 2020, 04:16, edited 1 time in total.

djos

Scorpaguy wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 02:35
djos wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 01:21
If the FIA were smart, they’d mandate a Porsche LMP1 style hybrid system (minus front wheel drive system) .

It’s much simpler than the current overly complicated PU’s and yet super powerful.
...what if FIA made a mandate for all of their series to use the same engine formula. Different series' needs could be addressed in the boost, ERS, and gearbox strategies. Imagine F1, WRC, LMP, etc. all working to extract max HP from the same block.
They tried that a few years back and every one was unimpressed.
"In downforce we trust"

MrMuffins

The Honda HI14TT used by Honda in IndyCar since 2014 is DOHC and although I cant find dimension in the released specs, it doesn't look like a tall deck engine.

gshevlin

The current 2.2L Indycar powerplants are full-race V6 engines. No requirement to use production parts. But there are many restrictions on components and costs to teams.

coaster

Thank you, i concur, i had the 3.5 twin turbo daytona v6 in mind.
My bad.

coaster

Out of context as the prior comment was deleted by the moderator.
I am quoted below, but the context was a response to a deleted prior comment by an forum participent stating the fia allegedly being corrupt for freezing development effectively locking out challengers.
Last edited by coaster on 04 Oct 2020, 11:44, edited 3 times in total.

djos

coaster wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 11:10
Agreed, time to purge.
Let it all bankrupt and maybe from the ashes a new series may form.
Have you seen how long it has taken Indy Car to rebuild after CART imploded? It imo is still not up to its late 90's and early Noughties best!
"In downforce we trust"

Big Tea

coaster wrote:
Agreed, time to purge.
You do not need to go that far, quit and promote F2 to the top
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

adrianjordan

Big Tea wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 11:26
coaster wrote:
Agreed, time to purge.
More likely Formula E.

That's where the future is headed eventually. Why not have F1 take the EV crown and run with it.

You would find VW Group, BMW, Honda and many more jumping at the chance to develop world beating EV motors with a sporty reputation.

I know it's not what petrol heads want, but it is coming and sooner than many of us could have imagined.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Big Tea

adrianjordan wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 11:31
Big Tea wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 11:26
coaster wrote:
Agreed, time to purge.
More likely Formula E.

That's where the future is headed eventually. Why not have F1 take the EV crown and run with it.

You would find VW Group, BMW, Honda and many more jumping at the chance to develop world beating EV motors with a sporty reputation.

I know it's not what petrol heads want, but it is coming and sooner than many of us could have imagined.
I really can not see that happening as FE was set up to 'spite' F1. Or rather, the previous management of F1.

It is the golden child of FIA directly, none of this run by Ecclestone and co nonsense that do not follow orders.

I dont know that even a change of management will make any difference, its Tods 'baby'
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AMG.Tzan

Honda sticking to Indycar's 2023 engine just shows that the "carbon neutral by 2050" claims are plain excuses for leaving F1!

How much of a hypocrisy's this? Even the architecture of Indycar's engine is way outdated...simple engine with KERS...something F1 had 10 years back!

But that's OEMs for you! They get in n out whenever they want to and for no apparent reason!

So they're just saying: "Deal with it F1" 8)
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

coaster

"decided to conclude its participation in the FIA*1 Formula One (F1) World Championship as a power unit supplier at the end of the 2021 season"
Not supply engines, ok, what else is ruled out?

ispano6

AMG.Tzan wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 12:39
Honda sticking to Indycar's 2023 engine just shows that the "carbon neutral by 2050" claims are plain excuses for leaving F1!

How much of a hypocrisy's this? Even the architecture of Indycar's engine is way outdated...simple engine with KERS...something F1 had 10 years back!

But that's OEMs for you! They get in n out whenever they want to and for no apparent reason!

Indy IS going hybrid...

the EDGE

ispano6 wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 17:59
AMG.Tzan wrote:

Indy IS going hybrid...
Yes but as said above, only a simple KERS system

ispano6

the EDGE wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 18:08
ispano6 wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 17:59
AMG.Tzan wrote:

Indy IS going hybrid...
Yes but as said above, only a simple KERS system
So they are late to the game but better late than never. That decision is based on the fact Chevrolet doesn't have a proper hybrid power unit program.
Honda created a new center called Innovative Research Excellence, Power Unit & Energy. Honda will allocate its energy management and fuel technologies as well as knowledge amassed through F1 activities to this area of power unit and energy technologies and take initiatives while focusing on the future realization of carbon neutrality.
Tanabe came from HPD to F1. While he may not be heading back, there are engineers who will be moving there and likely bringing know how with them. So long as Honda NA welcomes and is welcomed by Honda's new Power Unit and EM group there is a high likelihood the technology won't die after 2022.