2020 Eifel Grand Prix - Nürburgring, October 9-11

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
jz11
jz11

Re: 2020 Eifel Grand Prix - Nürburgring, October 9-11

Sieper wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 16:33
jz11 wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 16:12
Schuttelberg wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 15:53
It's amazing how Hamilton was able to put 5 seconds between himself and Max twice within 10 laps but the gap never exceeded 1.5 while Bottas was leading.
might be due to weight difference affecting the cars differently, maybe RB is better on full tanks, and remember they also tried to nurture those softs to be able to make the 1stop work, all 3 of them, Bottas, Ham and Max

on top of that, Max drives very maturely this season and he didn't really have any chance of overtaking Hamilton at the end, really struggled right after the restart and once the tires started to warm up and he was already 1,6-2sec behind Hamilton and Ricci wasn't getting close to him, he also went into conservation mode and just brought the car home with best result possible

that being said, Hamilton seems to be over all better at handling these tires than Bottas, especially once he's in the lead, it is basically game over for the rest, Bottas - not so much
The Merc is still the faster car, especially after a VSC as they have more heat left in their front tires due to DAS. All the better Max took fastest lap anyway. Was very close in qualy too. Just very good driving and hopefully they can come closer. Allthough Max already said they can’t be expected to win a race this season anymore.
one light bulb just lit up in my mind - which may support Merc being a handful on full tanks - they had a softer suspension setup more suited for rain - just in case it does come on the race day, that might have been why they were not as quick in quali also, and why RB (with more of a dry setup) could stay with them on full fuel load, and as the car got lighter, the "advantage" that Max may have had just disappeared completely by the end of the race

their (Merc) car is just so much ahead of the field that they can afford these things, and others absolutely cannot, they have to gamble to have a chance to reduce the gab a bit - which some of the fans think of a sign of them improving their cars and closing the gap which in reality just isn't happening - and the results back that up

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 16:59
Restomaniac wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 16:58
PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 16:56
Doesn't mean he has a seat for next year though.
True but Martin Brundle hinted about Hulkenberg and the RedBull seat too.
Brundle knows about as much as we do.
Sorry but I think that comment is patently wrong.

El Scorchio

Hahaha Horner congratulated Renault and Cyril for the podium. The charm offensive begins 😉

Sieper

Hulk himself dropped 2 hints that I personally saw. One in german and one in the post race interview on ziggo. Interviewer, what will you do now, hulk, you will see, with a very big smile.

Shrieker

They're gonna keep Gasly in Alpha Tauri now that he has pissed Marko; keep him as a benchmark and wait for someone who can trash him in the same car and if someone manages to do that, promote them to the first team ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

El Scorchio

Rosberg just savaged Vettel on Sky sports.

equaliser

Restomaniac wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 16:39
Albon’s retirement is still rather odd to me. No mention of it over team radio (Liberty never fail to use such messages). Just in the pits and gone.
A stone went through one of the radiators, lost the coolant and the temps sky rocketed. Retired the car to protect the PU. (source: Christian Horner, Sky TV interview)

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

equaliser wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 17:15
Restomaniac wrote:
Albon’s retirement is still rather odd to me. No mention of it over team radio (Liberty never fail to use such messages). Just in the pits and gone.
A stone went through one of the radiators, lost the coolant and the temps sky rocketed. Retired the car to protect the PU. (source: Christian Horner, Sky TV interview)
Fair enough but no team radio played? That’s is odd.

Sieper

equaliser wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:
That sounds like an excuse.could be true but no way to be certain.

equaliser

Sieper wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 17:17
equaliser wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:
The PU was still running without issue when he came into the pits so it's more plausible to me than any conspiracy excuses.

Big Tea wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 17:00
214270 wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 14:49
ALB is wreckless
Nah, he has had loads of wrecks.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Sieper

equaliser wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 17:19
Sieper wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 17:17
equaliser wrote:

The PU was still running without issue when he came into the pits so it's more plausible to me than any conspiracy excuses.
Why are you quoting me and talking about conspiracy theories? :roll:

Shrieker

El Scorchio wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 17:14
That was a roasting and a half, but it was more or less deserved tbh. Either Vettel has completely lost the plot, or he is being completely disregarded, which is a bit of a sabotage. I would expect something like that from Ferrari tho, they're the most political team in F1 for lack of a better term.

It reminds me a bit of what Jacques Villeneuve went thru at bar with Richards at the helm in 2003. He was replaced by Sato in the final GP. Foreshadowing perhaps ?
Last edited by Shrieker on 11 Oct 2020, 17:25, edited 2 times in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

2mm...The End.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

ringo

Shrieker wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 17:23
El Scorchio wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 17:14
That was a roasting and a half, but it was more or less deserved tbh. Either Vettel has completely lost the plot, or he is being completely disregarded, which is a bit of a sabotage. I would expect something like that from Ferrari tho, they're the most political team in F1 for lack of a better term.

It reminds me a bit of what Jacques Villeneuve went thru at bar with Richards at the helm in 2003. He was replaced by Sato in the final GP. Foreshadowing perhaps ?
Sabotaging vettel any more would be like beating a fossilized horse.
He does enough to embarass himself with his spinning and lack of confidence in the car.
It's just a shame observing the quality drives Perez is putting on only to know he is being replaced by a well flogged Vettel. Leclerc has effectively ended Vettel's career as a top driver. Now what remains of Vettel will be left for Stroll to chew on.
For Sure!!