Ferrari SF1000

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wowgr8

Re: Ferrari SF1000

tangodjango wrote:
16 Oct 2020, 22:13
I wonder how much they can realistically claw back. They were around 2.5 seconds per lap slower in race pace at the Nurburgring than Mercedes. That's a huge amount.
Aiming for Mercedes would be silly IMO. Even from Red Bull's POV trying to catch up to Mercedes next year would be almost impossible unless Mercedes become slower. Ferrari's aim should be to try and get ahead of Renault/Racing Point/McLaren, which I still think is a big jump

ryaan2904

wowgr8 wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 12:37
tangodjango wrote:
I wonder how much they can realistically claw back. They were around 2.5 seconds per lap slower in race pace at the Nurburgring than Mercedes. That's a huge amount.
Aiming for Mercedes would be silly IMO. Even from Red Bull's POV trying to catch up to Mercedes next year would be almost impossible unless Mercedes become slower. Ferrari's aim should be to try and get ahead of Renault/Racing Point/McLaren, which I still think is a big jump
I almost hate it that Mercedes has such a beast of a development program. Every year they refine their car more and more and more and they're gonna be untouchable next year.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

PlatinumZealot

Their development program is tame these days.
Measure twice cut once is their mentality. We rarely see them do an upgrade that they have to extensively tune and reavulate. They slap it on and it usually works first time out. This year upgrades were simple and well spaced. In fact they have one more moderate upgrade to take them thru the year and they're done. No silly cuts and re-cuts like other teams.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Big Tea

PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 21:04
Their development program is tame these days.
Measure twice cut once is their mentality. We rarely see them do an upgrade that they have to extensively tune and reavulate. They slap it on and it usually works first time out. This year upgrades were simple and well spaced. In fact they have one more moderate upgrade to take them thru the year and they're done. No silly cuts and re-cuts like other teams.
Probably due to them not 'talking up' each new washer they put on the car. When it works, they say they have fitted an upgrade (sometimes). Other teams have been known to bull up the next upgrade for 3 races, then decide they got it wrong. Well, usually 'not quite as we expected'

Some do not like Merc playing modest, myself I prefer it that way
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

f1316

wowgr8 wrote:
tangodjango wrote:
The only real X factor, I suppose, are the changes to the floor etc for next year. I suppose it’s conceivable that the longer Mercedes derives more df from the floor than the RB and/or it affects one concept more than another etc... it’ll require all teams to do some work, at least, and that always means there’s potential for some teams to do better than others.

In any case, I’d be surprised/extremely disappointed if Ferrari can’t be 3rd best next year. They’re already racing the midfield with a 2020 which clearly has fundamental issues - and hence reasonably low hanging fruit for improvement - so you’d imagine that simply having a reasonably powered engine (which is so vital to get right or else they’ll be screwed for many years to come, so will be a MEGA priority) will jump them up significantly as it’ll also allow them to run in more normal aero configurations which in turn helps tyre usage etc.

Big Tea

f1316 wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 22:12
wowgr8 wrote:
tangodjango wrote:
The only real X factor, I suppose, are the changes to the floor etc for next year. I suppose it’s conceivable that the longer Mercedes derives more df from the floor than the RB and/or it affects one concept more than another etc... it’ll require all teams to do some work, at least, and that always means there’s potential for some teams to do better than others.

In any case, I’d be surprised/extremely disappointed if Ferrari can’t be 3rd best next year. They’re already racing the midfield with a 2020 which clearly has fundamental issues - and hence reasonably low hanging fruit for improvement - so you’d imagine that simply having a reasonably powered engine (which is so vital to get right or else they’ll be screwed for many years to come, so will be a MEGA priority) will jump them up significantly as it’ll also allow them to run in more normal aero configurations which in turn helps tyre usage etc.
If, as Ferrari claim, the car is this bad because the car was designed for a more powerful engine, it may gain in the long run from losing down force. (not in total of course, but in relation to the other teams)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Sevach

At least now we can drop speculations over a new nose right?

MtthsMlw

Sevach wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 17:17
No, this will forever live on in Italian journalists' minds.

ryaan2904

Sevach wrote:
The earliest we'll be seeing a new nose is in 2022. So yeah, dropping it is the only thing we can do now unfortunately.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

Sevach

MtthsMlw wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 17:49
Sevach wrote:
No, this will forever live on in Italian journalists' minds.
That's probably true...

" Slim nose for Ferrari!!!
Wouldn't that be illegal?
Shut up, there will be a new nose in 3 races"

Ringleheim

So new developments coming for Portugal.

I pray these relate to "big picture" development work mostly relevant to next year's car or better, the 2022 car.

gordonthegun

Here in Italy today journalists say: "New diffuser in Portugal!".
It seems Cardile talked about it and hopes it may bring a big improvement.

FDD
FDD

No, EC didn't say that they expect big improvement, only to be in front of the middle pack.
The big expectation is the confirmation that they are going in right direction with the development linked with 2021 spec of the car.
PS I am a long time Ferrari fun and I desperately want to be at least in battle with RB but with this PU no. We have to wait for the next season. They said that PU has a big improvement but also we do not know what MERC will bring (there are rumors for revolutionary intake plenum), I hope Cavalino Rampante also have some ace up in the sleeve :D .

PS Sorry for my bad English it is not my native (I am from Macedonia)

Schippke

Hopefully, the improvements to the Diffuser will help Sebastian out a bit too... and get him back in the points. If it is related to the diffuser and if we are to believe that he needs a car with a much more stable rear-end, then it might be an even greater benefit for him. Glad to read that the most recent parts are performing on the car as expected, though I doubt they'll be leading the mid-field... but hopefully they can get back to consistent points finishes with both cars.

wowgr8

gordonthegun wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 23:40
Here in Italy today journalists say: "New diffuser in Portugal!".
It seems Cardile talked about it and hopes it may bring a big improvement.
Ferrari have never been the type to do large scale upgrades. This "diffuser upgrade" will probably be something small around the edge of the diffuser. They say their aim is to be fighting for 4th regularly but I think that's impossible with this engine handicap