[ 2020 ] Scuderia Alpha Tauri - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: [ 2020 ] Scuderia Alpha Tauri - Honda

Marti_EF3 wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 20:44
With 5th and some FP run he will be able to get it too.
That was before the new regulations. See my post above .
The Power of Dreams!

siskue2005

Wouter wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 20:49
siskue2005 wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 19:59
Wouter wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 17:40
But Yuki Tsunoda needs to finish 4th or higher in F2 this year to get the required super license points to get a seat next year in F1.
Currently, he is 22 points behind the second place, but from 3rd down to 6th they are covered by just 7 points.

I think It is premature to even consider him at this stage, maybe for 2022
Getting enough points for the Super License changed last week.

“In the wake of the current global situation, the window in which drivers will be allowed to score superlicence points has been extended from three to four years. The highest number of points accumulated in any three years of a four-year period that includes 2020 will be taken into account."

“Drivers who did not gather the required 40 Super Licence points due to circumstances out of their control or reasons of force majeure will have the opportunity for their case to be considered by the FIA.

“Drivers must have scored a minimum of 30 points and consistently demonstrated outstanding driving ability in single-seater cars to be able to apply under this new regulation.”

In 2017 Yuki finished 3rd in the Japanese Formula 4 Championship.
In 2018 he finished 1st in the Japanese Formula 4 Championship.
In 2019 he finished 9th in the FIA Formula 3 Championship. He also competed in the Euroformula Open that year. He won a race at the Hockenheimring and took five more podium places, but also had to miss two race weekends due to his commitments in FIA Formula 3. He then finished 4th.

The number of points he still needs has therefore changed. I don't know exactly how much he needs, but he doesn't have to finish fourth.
Due to covid pandemic, the rule was extended from 3 years previously to the entry of F1 to 4 years (this is only applicable in a force majure situation where the driver couldn't take part in FIA event during this time due to covid. hence people with 30 points can apply too>> IF they can prove it is due to the pandemic they lost a year and couldn't score more points)

So, his points will be like this; u can see reference here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIA_Super_Licence
Formula 4 Championships 1st-12;2nd-10;3rd-7;4th-5;5th-3;6th-2;7th-1;8th-0;9th-0

In 2017 Yuki finished 3rd in the Japanese Formula 4 Championship. >> 7 points
In 2018 he finished 1st in the Japanese Formula 4 Championship. >> 12 points
In 2019 he finished 9th in the FIA Formula 3 Championship. >> 2 points
In 2019 Yuki finished 4th in the Euroformula Open. >> 7 points

So in total he has 21 points in his Super license now (which includes his 2017 aswell due to new pandemic special rule, where they take best of 3 of the last 4 years).... So he needs 19 more points in F2 this year to get the super license)

Hence he needs to finish 5th or higher in f2 to get that super license points this year to get F1 seat next year

It is the same for others aswell
Mick Schumacher and Robert Schwartzman needs to finish 6th or higher to get the required FIA license points
Callum Illot needs to finish 3rd or higher to get the required FIA license points.

That is the reason why Alfa Romeo has still not announced Mick Schumacher and Kimi.
Only 4 races to go in F2, if Schumacher could seal at least 6th place in those races then we will see the announcement.

Similarily Yuki also needs to seal 5th place, otherwise he wont be able to come to f1 in 2021

Wouter

siskue2005 wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 08:38
Wouter wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 20:49
siskue2005 wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 19:59

But Yuki Tsunoda needs to finish 4th or higher in F2 this year to get the required super license points to get a seat next year in F1.
Currently, he is 22 points behind the second place, but from 3rd down to 6th they are covered by just 7 points.

I think It is premature to even consider him at this stage, maybe for 2022
Getting enough points for the Super License changed last week.

“In the wake of the current global situation, the window in which drivers will be allowed to score superlicence points has been extended from three to four years. The highest number of points accumulated in any three years of a four-year period that includes 2020 will be taken into account."

“Drivers who did not gather the required 40 Super Licence points due to circumstances out of their control or reasons of force majeure will have the opportunity for their case to be considered by the FIA.

“Drivers must have scored a minimum of 30 points and consistently demonstrated outstanding driving ability in single-seater cars to be able to apply under this new regulation.”

In 2017 Yuki finished 3rd in the Japanese Formula 4 Championship.
In 2018 he finished 1st in the Japanese Formula 4 Championship.
In 2019 he finished 9th in the FIA Formula 3 Championship. He also competed in the Euroformula Open that year. He won a race at the Hockenheimring and took five more podium places, but also had to miss two race weekends due to his commitments in FIA Formula 3. He then finished 4th.

The number of points he still needs has therefore changed. I don't know exactly how much he needs, but he doesn't have to finish fourth.
Due to covid pandemic, the rule was extended from 3 years previously to the entry of F1 to 4 years (this is only applicable in a force majure situation where the driver couldn't take part in FIA event during this time due to covid. hence people with 30 points can apply too>> IF they can prove it is due to the pandemic they lost a year and couldn't score more points)

So, his points will be like this; u can see reference here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIA_Super_Licence
Formula 4 Championships 1st-12;2nd-10;3rd-7;4th-5;5th-3;6th-2;7th-1;8th-0;9th-0

In 2017 Yuki finished 3rd in the Japanese Formula 4 Championship. >> 7 points
In 2018 he finished 1st in the Japanese Formula 4 Championship. >> 12 points
In 2019 he finished 9th in the FIA Formula 3 Championship. >> 2 points
In 2019 Yuki finished 4th in the Euroformula Open. >> 7 points

So in total he has 21 points in his Super license now (which includes his 2017 aswell due to new pandemic special rule, where they take best of 3 of the last 4 years).... So he needs 19 more points in F2 this year to get the super license)

Hence he needs to finish 5th or higher in f2 to get that super license points this year to get F1 seat next year

It is the same for others aswell
Mick Schumacher and Robert Schwartzman needs to finish 6th or higher to get the required FIA license points
Callum Illot needs to finish 3rd or higher to get the required FIA license points.

That is the reason why Alfa Romeo has still not announced Mick Schumacher and Kimi.
Only 4 races to go in F2, if Schumacher could seal at least 6th place in those races then we will see the announcement.

Similarily Yuki also needs to seal 5th place, otherwise he wont be able to come to f1 in 2021
Thanks for the clear summary @siskue, I also ended up with 21 points and so he doesn't have to finish 4th as you said before, but 5th is sufficient or 6th with a number of test sessions. That is why they will soon let him ride a FP at SAT and after the GP weekend he can test in Abu Dhabi. Then he also has enough points. At least that's how I understood it.
The Power of Dreams!

siskue2005

Yes correct, My initial calculation I didnt add his Euroformula open points

but does the test session give him extra points?
i believe that is only for people who had held super license points before and not driven an f1 car in 3 years... they need 300Km in a test session on the latest car to regain their super license

please correct me if I am wrong

Wouter

siskue2005 wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 10:08

i believe that is only for people who had held super license points before and not driven an f1 car in 3 years... they need 300Km in a test session on the latest car to regain their super license

The latter is true, but it is also for rookies who just don't have enough points.
An example is Max Verstappen, who suddenly went from F3 to F1, but did not have enough points.
On September 10, 2014, he drove 395 kilometers on the Adria International Raceway with the 2012 Toro Rosso to qualify for a super license.
On September 29 (he was only 16 years old!) :) , he was able to receive this super license, after which it was immediately announced that he was allowed to drive his first free practice in Formula 1 for Toro Rosso during the Japanese GP, replacing Jean-Éric Vergne.
The Power of Dreams!

siskue2005

Wouter wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 10:25
siskue2005 wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 10:08

The latter is true, but it is also for rookies who just don't have enough points.
An example is Max Verstappen, who suddenly went from F3 to F1, but did not have enough points.
On September 10, 2014, he drove 395 kilometers on the Adria International Raceway with the 2012 Toro Rosso to qualify for a super license.
On September 29 (he was only 16 years old!) :) , he was able to receive this super license, after which it was immediately announced that he was allowed to drive his first free practice in Formula 1 for Toro Rosso during the Japanese GP, replacing Jean-Éric Vergne.
You are mixing up everything, the latest super license points did not even exist when Max came to F1.
In fact it was in reaction to Max at just 16 coming to F1 with just that the FIA changed and introduced the super license points system in 2015.

before that there was no age restriction in F1, you just need to drive the f1 car for 300 km in a free practice session.

it was from 2016 onwards the new system came into force, the age was increased to 18 after that.

To qualify for an FIA Racing Super Licence an applicant must meet the requirements of the FIA's International Sporting Code, Appendix L,[1] Which states:

- A minimum age of 18
- An existing holder of an International Grade A competition licence
- A holder of a full and valid road car driving licence for the country listed as the driver's nationality which has not been suspended, withdrawn, revoked, or in any other way prevents the holder from driving a motor car on public roads.
- Passing of an FIA theory test on knowledge of the F1 sporting codes and regulations.
- Completed at least 80% of each of two full seasons of any of the single-seater Championships reported in Supplement 1 of the regulations
- Accumulated at least 40 points over the previous three seasons in any combination of the championships reported in Supplement 1 of the regulation

This rule was introduced in response to Max coming to F1 directly from F3 at the age of 16

So the 300 Km drive wont give anyone any extra points from 2016 onwards

You can read it here in this article
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/ ... verstappen

Wouter

siskue2005 wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 21:05

You are mixing up everything, the latest super license points did not even exist when Max came to F1.
In fact it was in reaction to Max at just 16 coming to F1 with just that the FIA changed and introduced the super license points system in 2015.

before that there was no age restriction in F1, you just need to drive the f1 car for 300 km in a free practice session.

it was from 2016 onwards the new system came into force, the age was increased to 18 after that.

This rule was introduced in response to Max coming to F1 directly from F3 at the age of 16

So the 300 Km drive wont give anyone any extra points from 2016 onwards

You can read it here in this article
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/ ... verstappen
It is indeed true what you say that I confuse a number of things. I know all those rules were made because Max entered F1 very young. However, I was under the impression that Max did not have enough points at the time, but now that I read it again I know that 300 km was enough for that time. I've mixed things up.

As for your last sentence, I found the following, which I talked about in connection with Yuki:

Now from 2020, the FIA's World Motor Sport Council has ratified that a driver with a free practice only super license, who completes at least 100km during a free practice session will earn an additional point per Grand Prix weekend, providing they do not pick up any license penalty points.

The FIA ​​has capped the number of points that can be accrued for driving in free practice sessions to 10 over a three-year period.
The Power of Dreams!

siskue2005

Wouter wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 22:17
Now from 2020, the FIA's World Motor Sport Council has ratified that a driver with a free practice only super license, who completes at least 100km during a free practice session will earn an additional point per Grand Prix weekend, providing they do not pick up any license penalty points.

The FIA ​​has capped the number of points that can be accrued for driving in free practice sessions to 10 over a three-year period.
I did not know that info.
Thank you for sharing
So per year they can get a maximum of 10 points through free practice from 2020 onwards

Wouter

siskue2005 wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 06:21
Wouter wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 22:17

I did not know that info.
Thank you for sharing
So per year they can get a maximum of 10 points through free practice from 2020 onwards
As I understand it is not 10 points per year, but 10 points over a 3 year period.
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

:o :(

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Pierre Gasly (AT01-01, Car 10)
Race: Pos. 5th
Portuguese Grand Prix 2020 with Pierre Gasly by Scuderia AlphaTauri

“I really enjoyed this race! It was very entertaining inside the cockpit and I had a lot of fun with the close battles on track. I felt very good with the soft tyres, I was able to manage them well at the start of the race and when the others started to struggle, I could push to pass the Renaults, McLarens and a Racing Point in the end. For us, as a midfield team, it almost tastes like a small victory to finish P5 behind the top three teams, so I’m really pleased with this result. Especially after all the work the guys in the garage have done on Friday night to rebuild a completely new car for me, they put in a lot of effort and I’m really happy to give them this fifth place today.”

Daniil Kvyat (AT01-02, Car 26)
Race: Pos. 19th
Portuguese GP 2020 with Daniil Kvyat by Scuderia AlphaTauri

“It was a bad race, there wasn’t much to do after the first lap as I was already in a bad position. It was quite difficult, something felt wrong with the tyres, like they weren’t heated enough, and I just struggled for grip for the first few laps. The wind didn’t make the situation any easier but it’s normal, these conditions are always very tricky. Sometimes you have good races and sometimes you have bad ones, and today was a bad one for me. We have to analyse it and see what happened on those first few laps with the tyre temperatures and come back stronger next week.”

Franz Tost (Team Principal):

“First of all, congratulations to the organizers for this fantastic race here in Portimao. It’s the first time Formula 1 held a race here and I must say it’s a fantastic venue in a really nice area, Portimao is a nice city and I really hope we’ll be able to return in the future. It was also great to see many spectators in the grandstands and there was a very good atmosphere. The race start wasn’t so successful for us as Pierre ended the first lap in P10, losing a position to Ricciardo, but he then started to recover and was up to fifth position by the middle of the race. During his first stint, the Option tyre worked better than expected, so we extended his stint and pitted him to change tyres from the Option to the Prime on lap 28, meaning we changed his strategy from a two-stop to a one-stop. This was absolutely the right decision because we were able to fit the Prime tyre, and despite the first laps being difficult to get the temperature of the tyres up to working range, he was eventually able to overtake Ricciardo. He then managed to consistently put in fast lap times and caught Perez toward the end of the race, which was a fantastic overtake to finish in P5. He had his race always under control and he overtook many cars, so I think this was one of Pierre’s most successful races. The team has now scored points in nine consecutive races which is a good record for us, so I would like to congratulate the whole team! We had a difficult weekend, as they had to completely rebuild a new car from Friday to Saturday, due to Pierre’s battery catching fire during FP2. The mechanics worked flawlessly, doing a great job. The strategy today was really good, the pitstops were fast, so this fifth place is very well deserved.”
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

etusch

I think this is good for him. Because of budget cap redbull will invest more on AT. He finished first 6 last 2 races and car looks competitive. I think Redbull will send some stuff to AT when stuff reducing started. So there is good future for the team. There is no reason for them to not to fight for being one of first 5 team.

ispano6

Exactly, he is their number one driver and works well in the team. Hopefully AT will start off with a better car that can be closer to RB next year.

Wouter

CONGRATULATIONS for Pierre! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Well, Max and Pierre confirmed. Now waiting for the other two. :wink:

The Power of Dreams!