Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
lio007

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

godlameroso wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 22:41
Big Tea wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 22:20
godlameroso wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 21:00
George Russell to Red Bull and Perez to Williams?
If Red Bull is looking outside the family, their chances will not be much better than this.
They may even score some brownie points with Merc too
If the Red Bull is competitive then Russell and Verstappen will both be fighting for the championship.
It would be tough for Alex if he'll be replaced by George, because they are very good friends.

NL_Fer

If they let Russel go, what to do if Hamilton decides to do a Rosberg?

Big Tea

NL_Fer wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 10:30
They can 'let him go', and have no claim on him, or 'lend him out', which would no doubt mean either paying some of his wages or giving engine freebees

He/they may fancy an attack on the triple crown in a different order. Le mans or Indy first?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

NL_Fer

Big Tea wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 12:09
NL_Fer wrote:
They can 'let him go', and have no claim on him, or 'lend him out', which would no doubt mean either paying some of his wages or giving engine freebees

He/they may fancy an attack on the triple crown in a different order. Le mans or Indy first?
Lend him out to Redbull?

So what if the RB17 is a title contender and during a race, Max 1st, Russel 2nd and Hamilton 3rd coming in fast. The team says Russel to keep Hamilton behind, to protect Verstappen. What is going to do?

Big Tea

NL_Fer wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 18:25
Big Tea wrote:
NL_Fer wrote:

Lend him out to Redbull?

So what if the RB17 is a title contender and during a race, Max 1st, Russel 2nd and Hamilton 3rd coming in fast. The team says Russel to keep Hamilton behind, to protect Verstappen. What is going to do?
Well if he unfairly blocks, he is in trouble anyway, but I would think them professional enough to do their job regardless.

But if he is running second, he is going to want to keep second and do what ever he can.

PlatinumZealot

I can't see Russell being loaned to a rival team. Why would RedBull want a rival driver anyway? If they ever actually need him they will offer a big fat contract and ask him to sever ties with Mercedes.

Now even after doing that they have big questions to answer: since they don't have George's telemetry, just how fast is he and will he take points away from Max? Do they set George as a number 2 and never allow him to win over Max? He is not of RedBull stock after all but a "Moses" brought in from the enemy camp.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

PlatinumZealot wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 20:37
I can't see Russell being loaned to a rival team. Why would RedBull want a rival driver anyway? If they ever actually need him they will offer a big fat contract and ask him to sever ties with Mercedes.

Now even after doing that they have big questions to answer: since they don't have George's telemetry, just how fast is he and will he take points away from Max? Do they set George as a number 2 and never allow him to win over Max? He is not of RedBull stock after all but a "Moses" brought in from the enemy camp.
I'd imagine they'd treat him the same way Riccardo was treated during his tenure, just let him do his thing. I see Russell as a very mature personality, I think he understands this is a team game, and the team comes first, so I can see him adapting to the role. He knows how to talk to the media, and say the correct things to not just the audience but the team as well. Of course there's also the potential for inter-team friction, two alphas who are hungry for wins, and have the talent to pull it off. To me that's what makes it interesting.

Williams new ownership is rumored to be looking at Perez, which would require them dissolving Russel's contract. From there his option is to sit on the sidelines, or find a seat on another team. I think for the sake of the sport, it would be hugely interesting having him next to Verstappen in a car capable of winning, especially if they're battling Mercedes and Ferrari, or Alpine/Renault if they get their act together. It's a possibility albeit not a very high one, because it would take him either cutting ties with Mercedes, or at the very least Mercedes getting something in exchange.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

They will not be making any friends in the Paddock if they don't honour George's contract.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racer X

They will honor Georges contract I dont think they can afford to buy out Russels contract out. Williams is owned by an investment company im sure they wont want to pay Mercedes money to be able to walk away from the contract they have with their driver.

Surely Perez goes elsewhere... Man i wish Latifi wasnt a factor because i would love to see Perez with George.
Thats actually what i wished would happen Perez/Russel.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

raymondu999

Racer X wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 07:41
They will honor Georges contract I dont think they can afford to buy out Russels contract out. Williams is owned by an investment company im sure they wont want to pay Mercedes money to be able to walk away from the contract they have with their driver.
I dont see how the logic connects. I don’t think those points are mutually exclusive
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

NathanOlder

Surely Perez's money can easily pay off Russell. and then you can have Perez sign a 2yr or 3yr deal. So they have the Perez money for a few years and a very strong driver for a few years too. If they stick with Russell, they have a very strong driver for 1 year without any extra cash. then they have nothing and have to hope for a top driver being available in 1yr. Right now Perez is probably desperate, so they should take full advantage of that.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Big Tea

NathanOlder wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 18:54
Surely Perez's money can easily pay off Russell. and then you can have Perez sign a 2yr or 3yr deal. So they have the Perez money for a few years and a very strong driver for a few years too. If they stick with Russell, they have a very strong driver for 1 year, then they have nothing and have to hope bdor a top driver. Right now Perez is probably desperate, so they should take full advantage of that.
How would they stand with Merc engines then though? Or are that considering Renault?

Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 18:56
NathanOlder wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 18:54
Surely Perez's money can easily pay off Russell. and then you can have Perez sign a 2yr or 3yr deal. So they have the Perez money for a few years and a very strong driver for a few years too. If they stick with Russell, they have a very strong driver for 1 year, then they have nothing and have to hope bdor a top driver. Right now Perez is probably desperate, so they should take full advantage of that.
How would they stand with Merc engines then though? Or are that considering Renault?
Other possibility: have Russell with Mercedes money and PU racing for 2021 and Perez as a third driver, with a guaranteed drive in 2022. That way Williams losses are minimal.

Zynerji

Big Tea wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 18:49
NL_Fer wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Lend him out to Redbull?

Well if he unfairly blocks, he is in trouble anyway, but I would think them professional enough to do their job regardless.

But if he is running second, he is going to want to keep second and do what ever he can.
Merc wouldn't have comms to ask him to move.

Big Tea

Zynerji wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 19:48
Big Tea wrote:
18 Oct 2020, 18:49
NL_Fer wrote:

Lend him out to Redbull?

Merc wouldn't have comms to ask him to move.
Lol good point