[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
variante

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

Thanks, LVDH.

Pure Power always makes sexy cars. This time, we'll get the chance to see if the advantages of outwashing the radiator exhaust are replicable or if they're like Cold Fusion.

LVDH

variante wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 19:04
This time, we'll get the chance to see if the advantages of outwashing the radiator exhaust are replicable or if they're like Cold Fusion.
Looks like I missed something here. However "outwashing" radiator air sounds like something that could work, as it is low energy air. Keeping that away from the rear wing sounds like a good idea. How you find the energy to somehow "outwash" this air into the free stream is something I would not know how to answer. But maybe directing it in front of the rear tires could be a good idea.

The cool thing about MVRC remains that the teams are not converging to a common design. And the Variante car in particular is a cool example in how good ideas can take their time to find the success, however is has evolved into something hard to beat. Lets see what GCBB corse can do in Japan...

variante

LVDH wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 19:29
However "outwashing" radiator air sounds like something that could work, as it is low energy air. Keeping that away from the rear wing sounds like a good idea. How you find the energy to somehow "outwash" this air into the free stream is something I would not know how to answer. But maybe directing it in front of the rear tires could be a good idea.
Yes, it has multiple effects. Granting cleaner air to the rear wing is one of them. But it also allows for the maximum downwash, with a good pressure recovery on whole rear end of the car, diffuser included. And yes, the low quality air from the radiator is thrown on the rear wheels, decreasing drag and lift.
I'll probably publish something about it, after the end of the season.

Still, it amazes me how some people can achieve good performances with a conventional layout. When i tried it, i didn't have a lot of success... Maybe it's just a matter of optimizing and optimizing.

CAEdevice

I think I could go on optimising my conventional layout for two more years at least :)

I am convinced that with it could be a winning layout again, especially if there will be a refinement of the rules about ground distance and rake axis.

Ft5fTL

LVDH wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 16:17

It is always quite amazing to see the creativity of PurePowerRacing. Every car is always very different.
I'm obsessed with the sidepod area for better airflow. It actually became quite irritating to me because im spending most of my time for some smart solution that doesn't work (chimney engine cover air outlet for instance) on that area.

This particular entrances bodywork creates lift around 0.8-0.9 (without tyres) and that bugs me the most (my old bodywork had around 0.2). I tried to shave it but it just didn't work (dunno maybe im overreacting). With the added drag, car has actualy worse l/d than my Monaco entrance but has a better CoP according to my simulations so it's faster than the old one. Still no where near what i want and i just can't make progress.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

Team_Bart

Hi guys, nice to see the competition is still going on! Since I have a new computer and a bit more spare time, I'm thinking about re-joining the competition. However, I see there is only 1 race left this season and it is already next week, so that is a bit too soon for me... Is there already something known about next season? With other words, is it worth it to start developing a car with the regulations of this season or will the rules completely change for next season?

Koldskaal

Team_Bart wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 11:39
... With other words, is it worth it to start developing a car with the regulations of this season or will the rules completely change for next season?
There was some talk back in 2019 about switching to 2021 (now 2022) style cars for 2020. Link.
Knowing this I tried to create all the regulation boxes when the technical regulations were released. Which seemed to spark the interest of a certain someone. Apparently, they then decided to switch from 2017 style cars to 2022 cars in the middle of this season. But the world started opening again and people got busier, so the switch was cancelled.
I think this is all we know so far. So nothing confirmed but some clear hints :D
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

variante

Team_Bart wrote:
However, I see there is only 1 race left this season and it is already next week, so that is a bit too soon for me...
Just keep in mind that the current race was delayed by 2 weeks. I guess the next and last race will follow the same fate. So you probably have 3 weeks at disposal.

LVDH

Team_Bart wrote:
Hi guys, nice to see the competition is still going on! Since I have a new computer and a bit more spare time, I'm thinking about re-joining the competition. However, I see there is only 1 race left this season and it is already next week, so that is a bit too soon for me... Is there already something known about next season? With other words, is it worth it to start developing a car with the regulations of this season or will the rules completely change for next season?
The next race is scheduled for the 15.11.2020. I do not mind delaying i a further week if you guys perfer this.
The switch to the new rules will have to wait until next year. The contributions from you guys (CAD) still exist and will be used.
This weekend you should receive the results of current race.

Team_Bart

Hi guys, thanks for the answers! As understand it is very likely there are new rules for next season. Therefore I think it doesn't really make sence to develop a whole new car within three weeks that can only be used in one race (except from the fun part ofcourse). So, if everything goes well, I'll rejoin the competition next season! Good luck for the last race, I"ll be there with my photocamera to get some inspiration for next season :)

LVDH

Team_Bart wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 10:46
Hi guys, thanks for the answers! As understand it is very likely there are new rules for next season. Therefore I think it doesn't really make sence to develop a whole new car within three weeks that can only be used in one race (except from the fun part ofcourse). So, if everything goes well, I'll rejoin the competition next season! Good luck for the last race, I"ll be there with my photocamera to get some inspiration for next season :)
If you do this exercise, it will be of great value for next season, trust me.

machin

OK, so the cars are in and the race is scheduled to go live at 13:00 CET tomorrow (Sunday 25th) on this link:-

Good luck to all, :-)
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

Congratulations to... the winner and to the teams on the podium.

Quite happy with my race, very good efficiency but not enough downforce.

The video with the results is getting better and better, thanks Richard! I can even imagine the official F1 theme as soundtrack :)

variante

Congratulations to GCBB for their second consecutive win.

I can't be happy with my second place, though. These results are a major let down for me, as the car not only performed worse than expected, but also worse than in the previous round...
Admittedly, i only run short simulations due to computational restraints, but my projections made me expect CDA=1.6 and CLA=3.8 for this race. I'll now have to investigate why the difference between the short and official simulations is much greater than in the previous rounds; possibly it has something to do with the higher downforce setup.

machin

CAEdevice wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 14:49
I can even imagine the official F1 theme as soundtrack :)
Thanks, :-) I wonder if I could find a copyright free version of that music.... :-k

Really nice looking cars from everyone again.... =D> =D> =D>
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH