Ferrari SF1000

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JPBD1990

Re: Ferrari SF1000

Xwang wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 09:54
I have not understood if this new floor is meant to be used for data acquisition in some FP sessions or if they are going to use in race too.
They tested a new floor for 2021. That would be slow in 2020, so it’s not a race floor.

I think they’ve also tested a new floor for this season too? I don’t recall the vertical strakes being run as yet? I know they tested it (or something similar) earlier in the year but I didn’t think it’d been raced.

So new floor either way, they also tested the 2021 spec.

gordonthegun

OK for the floors, but the diffusers (both old and new) have one more external vane on both sides of the car and they all don't reach the back-end of the diffuser, as someone already posted.

gordonthegun

The 2nd new floor, the one for this year, with 3 vortex generators in front of the rear tyres, together with the usual slots (already seen last year, honestly):

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/photos/det ... /49055865/

gordonthegun

Morteza

Diffuser comparison (via the-race.com)

Cooling exit also has changed
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

FDD
FDD

The first picture second sequence (new), according to me is spec for 2021, vanes are within spec for 2021, only if they decided to run this next year spec from now in order to collect data.

gordonthegun

In the blue circle I can't see any difference, in the green maybe it's a matter of distance/angle of the picture.
On the contrary I see a difference in the diffuser where it joins the rear impact structure; the new one seems to have just one "lip", the old two (here too, not sure, maybe only perspective).
OK the minor height (and length?) of the vanes of the diffuser (reduced as for 2021 regulations, I think).

The cooling exit were already that way, maybe never before they had been captured in a so favourable angle.

Anyway, now Ferrari is starting to change in a significant way.
My "fear" is that now they are building an aero that works related to the little power of this year engine and that will not suit next year more powerful one.

wowgr8

Cooling outlets are so large I really really hope those can shrink next year. Also, I'm not sure if driveshaft is the appropriate word but the thing that connects the gearbox to the rear wheels, why is it near invisible on an F1 car? In some pictures I've seen of the top side of the floor it actually looks like the rear wheels aren't connected to the gearbox at all

MtthsMlw

Diffuser comparison. The Portuguese GP version also features the vertical fins in front of the rear wheels.
Further comparing photos, this "new" diffuser appears to be the launch spec one only raced at the Austrian GP so far. Only difference I can see is a slight tweak to the crash structure section.
via @Gianludale27

FDD
FDD

MtthsMlw wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 11:26
Diffuser comparison. The Portuguese GP version also features the vertical fins in front of the rear wheels.
Further comparing photos, this "new" diffuser appears to be the launch spec one only raced at the Austrian GP so far. Only difference I can see is a slight tweak to the crash structure section.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ElFUdyjXUAA ... name=large
via @Gianludale27
I think that this is the best description of the new Portuguese GP DIF, also I think (as you said) that there are some differences in the central part of DIF regarding the shape.

gordonthegun

MtthsMlw wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 11:26
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ElFUdyjXUAA ... name=large
via @Gianludale27
In new 2020 diffuser the flaps at the top angles are also rounded, except the upper one.

Morteza

Nicolas Carpentiers wrote:Apart from testing a 2021 floor (as Williams & Red Bull), Ferrari tested yesterday an update of their current floor. The fins were tested in USA 2018 and present on the SF90, before disappearing on the SF1000. Carbon for Leclerc, 3D printing (?) for Vettel.

Some shots of the shield protecting the Ferrari gearbox from the heat of exhaust and engine

Via @NicolasF1i
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

kimmmykim

Does Ferrari have any more upgrades lined up? The incremental upgrades they've brought the last few races seemed to have worked well. It would be nice for them to continue along that path. It's sort of unusual for Ferrari 's aerodynamic upgrades to work right out of the box, but they seemed to have pulled it off. Might they be related to the new simulator they've been working on for some time now? The upgrades bode really well for the future.

F1NAC

Dunno about further upgrades, but I've read somewhere on twitter where Binotto gave statement to Italian media (I think?) where he says that team found problems and corrected them and it seems that now they have understanding where to further develop this base for next year.

nemanja

F1NAC wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 16:16
Dunno about further upgrades, but I've read somewhere on twitter where Binotto gave statement to Italian media (I think?) where he says that team found problems and corrected them and it seems that now they have understanding where to further develop this base for next year.
Any link maybe?