2020 Portuguese Grand Prix - Portimão, October 23 - 25

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
zibby43

Re: 2020 Portuguese Grand Prix - Portimão, October 23 - 25

Big Tea wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 23:54
From a Red Bull perspective, Gasly is better staying where he is and being joined by Albon.

Even this year, Red Bull is on 226, the closest competitor RP, is on 126 and Merc have already finished.

AT is on 77 Ferrari on 90, Renault on 120, Mclaren 124 and RP 126. The other 3 are just not in it.

Moving Daniil Kvyat to the boss team is just going to pick up points they don't really need, and be a test mule for Max, as Albon seems to be and a combo of Gasly and Albon so AT could easily get then up the sharp end by the end of the season.

Not only that, but they (and we) could see them head to head in identical cars that seem set up well as Gasly is nailing it
In no way do I expect DK to be considered. He's actually expected to be replaced at AT by Yuki Tsunoda for '21.

There had to be some personal, non-performance based stuff that went on with Gasly at RB for him to not be considered for the RB seat.

And I think Perez/Nico H. are legitimate options for that 2nd RB seat. But I wonder how Max would feel about that, because it would be inevitable that either of those guys would have races where they'd take points off Verstappen.

zibby43

Sieper wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 00:02
Gasly has improved this year, but I see no major differences with last year. Qualy pace was OK last year as is this year, overtaking skills have improved a bit but I still see him lagging a bit when compared to the top tiers. I think a second stint at redbull would be likely similar to the first one. For me he never had to go. That was the roring masses. If he does not go and replace Ocon at Renault it would be good to see him joined with Tsunoda. Tsunoda seems fast and skilled too. But that would mean next to Kvyat Albon would be out of a seat as well. I expected Albon to be a bit closer, I thought highly of him. Again, I am not out for him being replaced, but likely he will. The 2 names are Perez and Hulkenberg. From those 2 I prefer Hulkenberg. Perez for me is too much looking at only himself. Too Alfa. Ricciardo was always sensible when it came to desperate fights. Norris is very fast, skilled and also like Ricciardo able to look out for the others. That would be a good pairing as well. But he of course is fine where he is.
Good post. I appreciate reading the perspective of someone that follows the RB/AT programs closely. So thanks for sharing.

I mentioned him in my above reply to @Big Tea, but do you believe Tsunoda and Albon will be the most likely pairing for AT next year? Albon seems like a great kid, and I was pulling for him to succeed at RB, and I think he deserves a seat in F1.

And I think you're right about Perez; he would likely give no quarter to Max on track, whereas Hulk strikes me as a bit more of a team player (and I'm sure this attitude would continue after having to sit out a while).

Jolle

Hamilton’s 77 point lead means he’s one point short of the possibility to become WC in Italy next weekend. If he outscores Verstappen by ten points, the champion will be a Mercedes driver once again.

Shrieker

Jolle wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 00:06
Why can’t it be?
Seb's struggling to get into the points. Reminds me of some of the races back from 2011-12 where Hamilton would hit one misfortune after another, spiralling down the order race in race out. My point being, the car would encounter problems and it wasn't the driver's fault. I think at the very least Ferrari are keeping recent info/updates from him, now that he's moving away - which is quite natural for a team to do. Perez has made it clear his team are doing exactly that; so I don't see why Ferrari wouldn't.
Last edited by Shrieker on 26 Oct 2020, 00:28, edited 4 times in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Scorpaguy

Expected - Ham
Disappointing - Bot
Average - Max
Yep - Lec
Surprising - Gas
Maybe - Sainz
Almost - Checo
Invisible - Ocon
Lackluster - Ric
Sad - Vet
Entertaining - Kimi
WTF - Alb
Luckless - Lando
Not - Rus
Meh - Gio
Over - Mag
Gross - Gros
Hopeless - Lat
Done - Kyv
Hapless - Stroll

Big Tea

zibby43 wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 00:08
Big Tea wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 23:54
From a Red Bull perspective, Gasly is better staying where he is and being joined by Albon.

Even this year, Red Bull is on 226, the closest competitor RP, is on 126 and Merc have already finished.

AT is on 77 Ferrari on 90, Renault on 120, Mclaren 124 and RP 126. The other 3 are just not in it.

Moving Daniil Kvyat to the boss team is just going to pick up points they don't really need, and be a test mule for Max, as Albon seems to be and a combo of Gasly and Albon so AT could easily get then up the sharp end by the end of the season.

Not only that, but they (and we) could see them head to head in identical cars that seem set up well as Gasly is nailing it
In no way do I expect DK to be considered. He's actually expected to be replaced at AT by Yuki Tsunoda for '21.

There had to be some personal, non-performance based stuff that went on with Gasly at RB for him to not be considered for the RB seat.

And I think Perez/Nico H. are legitimate options for that 2nd RB seat. But I wonder how Max would feel about that, because it would be inevitable that either of those guys would have races where they'd take points off Verstappen.
I also do not think he would, but it would be the easiest 'swap' this year. How good hi would be is irreverent as RbR is not going to catch Merc, and no one id going to catch RbR even if he does not score a single point. He would be there just as an information gather for Max in the same way Albon is, but it would give more kudos, and cash, to AT and Honda if they could climb a coupe of steps or even just get in the fight.

Next year, they would probably have Gasly and Tsunoda anyway, but they could put to bed the Gasly v Albon question and decide well maybe keep albon as perhaps who ever they were thinking of bringing in is not that much better, and look at the car
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

NathanOlder

Not sure where Albon gains any credit or respect. He wasn't very strong before F1, and he's not been good at any point while in F1. Remember when at Toro Rosso, he was outscored by Kvyat 16pts to 27pts, and Kvyat is more or less useless. Albon isn't good enough for F1, he is no better than Latifi.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

zibby43

Big Tea wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 00:27
I also do not think he would, but it would be the easiest 'swap' this year. How good hi would be is irreverent as RbR is not going to catch Merc, and no one id going to catch RbR even if he does not score a single point. He would be there just as an information gather for Max in the same way Albon is, but it would give more kudos, and cash, to AT and Honda if they could climb a coupe of steps or even just get in the fight.

Next year, they would probably have Gasly and Tsunoda anyway, but they could put to bed the Gasly v Albon question and decide well maybe keep albon as perhaps who ever they were thinking of bringing in is not that much better, and look at the car
Gasly/Tsunoda would be an interesting combination, which could possibly leave Albon without a seat if RB looks externally.

I just think it will be fascinating to see how much Max has improved since RIC was his teammate, as RIC actually gave Verstappen a fight. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Jolle wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 00:18
Hamilton’s 77 point lead means he’s one point short of the possibility to become WC in Italy next weekend. If he outscores Verstappen by ten points, the champion will be a Mercedes driver once again.
Interesting statistical nugget! Thrilled to have another doubleheader. Fast track.

Big Tea

zibby43 wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 00:44
Big Tea wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 00:27

Gasly/Tsunoda would be an interesting combination, which could possibly leave Albon without a seat if RB looks externally.

I just think it will be fascinating to see how much Max has improved since RIC was his teammate, as RIC actually gave Verstappen a fight. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Jolle wrote:
Interesting statistical nugget! Thrilled to have another doubleheader. Fast track.
Here is another

Ham 256 - Red bull 226
(Botas 179)

Max 162 - RP 127

Who needs 2 drivers
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Sieper

zibby43 wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 00:13
Sieper wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 00:02
Gasly has improved this year, but I see no major differences with last year. Qualy pace was OK last year as is this year, overtaking skills have improved a bit but I still see him lagging a bit when compared to the top tiers. I think a second stint at redbull would be likely similar to the first one. For me he never had to go. That was the roring masses. If he does not go and replace Ocon at Renault it would be good to see him joined with Tsunoda. Tsunoda seems fast and skilled too. But that would mean next to Kvyat Albon would be out of a seat as well. I expected Albon to be a bit closer, I thought highly of him. Again, I am not out for him being replaced, but likely he will. The 2 names are Perez and Hulkenberg. From those 2 I prefer Hulkenberg. Perez for me is too much looking at only himself. Too Alfa. Ricciardo was always sensible when it came to desperate fights. Norris is very fast, skilled and also like Ricciardo able to look out for the others. That would be a good pairing as well. But he of course is fine where he is.
Good post. I appreciate reading the perspective of someone that follows the RB/AT programs closely. So thanks for sharing.

I mentioned him in my above reply to @Big Tea, but do you believe Tsunoda and Albon will be the most likely pairing for AT next year? Albon seems like a great kid, and I was pulling for him to succeed at RB, and I think he deserves a seat in F1.

And I think you're right about Perez; he would likely give no quarter to Max on track, whereas Hulk strikes me as a bit more of a team player (and I'm sure this attitude would continue after having to sit out a while).
On the one hand (if indeed the Hulk whispers are right) I would like to See Albon coupled with Gasly, for me, I think Albon would be quicker. But it would be interesting. Both should be in F1 Imho. But if Gasly goes to Renault then Albon and Tsunoda would also be an ideal, if you want to judge how good his rookie year would be. Tsunoda is quick and smart imho. Making it al, work for him instead of against.

But we go off topic. Albon today, this weekend did not have the weekend he needed, also due to RBR not being in the perfect frame here which is very unfortunate timing for Albon and Gasly did make a great showing. Kvyat I already discount. He had his quicker periods but this is not one of them.

PlatinumZealot

Jolle wrote:
He needs a Bottas DNF to take it.

Imola - finish with 100pts to win

Istanbul - finish with 75 to win

Bahrain 1 - 50 to win

Bahrain 2 - 25 to win

Abu Dhabi
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Tom145145

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 00:56
Jolle wrote:

Bahrain 1 - 50 to win

Bahrain 2 - 25 to win

Abu Dhabi
He will be 1 point short with a Bottas DNF/ Hamilton win and fastest lap is 103 ahead with 104 remaining. After Istanbul there will be 77 points remaining.

dans79

zibby43 wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 00:08
If he's as good as so many people think, and claim he is, he should be able to overcome them easily.
197 104 103 7

mzso

HungarianRacer wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 18:28
mzso wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 18:13
Does anyone have a video of Leclerc's Q3 Lap?
Juzh's Youtube channel.

Thanks.

PlatinumZealot

Tom145145 wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 01:02
PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 00:56
Jolle wrote:

Bahrain 1 - 50 to win

Bahrain 2 - 25 to win

Abu Dhabi
He will be 1 point short with a Bottas DNF/ Hamilton win and fastest lap is 103 ahead with 104 remaining. After Istanbul there will be 77 points remaining.
Riight forgot about those FL points!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏