2020 Portuguese Grand Prix - Portimão, October 23 - 25

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2020 Portuguese Grand Prix - Portimão, October 23 - 25

Lewis joins the realm of the record keepers.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/mark-hug ... ow-joined/
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ringo

NathanOlder wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 23:33
I think the point people have made or are making is that quite often some users are claiming Hamilton needs a better team mate to prove himself. When in fact its the likes of Max, Charles ect who are the ones who need to prove themselves. Lewis has done his talking on track for 14yrs now. Beating Alonso, Button and Rosberg along the way, yet he still has to prove himself #-o
Thank you!
The shoe cleaning thing was just to demonstrate the gulf in experience, and acheivements.
Maybe some have been watching F1 since Max came along..
I know i have just been watching from 1998 but i think it's a fair amount to make an objective assessment of the dificulty in winning a championship even once or winning at least 5 times in one season.
Yet we have people posting here placing guys who havent experienced much and are unproven and using that unknown quantity as a benchmark to "prove" the most successful driver in the sport, who raced with alonso, kimi, massa, button, shumacher, kubica, vettel. It's just ignorant or disrespectful to assume that Hamilton needs to prove anything really. Hence my use of shoe cleaning. The truth is these guys like Max and Leclerc haven't done anything beyond a Montoya, Kimi, Webber, Barichello, Coulthard muchless. And these are very good drivers i am talking about. By no means are these guys mediocre.
F1 fans nowadays too easily dismiss the dificulties in being successful in F1 and operating at an elite level. Not many will like it, but the truth is Hamilton proved him self enough in 2007 and 2008 muchless at this stage in his career where has more wins than ten times leclerc and verstappen wins combined. Its ridiculous how some posters here make some really absent minded claims about who needs to proven. lol
For Sure!!

dans79

ringo wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 02:53
F1 fans nowadays too easily dismiss the dificulties in being successful in F1 and operating at an elite level. Not many will like it, but the truth is Hamilton proved him self enough in 2007 and 2008 muchless at this stage in his career where has more wins than ten times leclerc and verstappen wins combined. Its ridiculous how some posters here make some really absent minded claims about who needs to proven. lol
Some time I think the best response would be to to just send them a link to this page and tell them to search for "Hamilton".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_F ... er_records
  • 262 consecutive race starts Rosberg is second with 206
  • 92 wins
  • 8 Hungarian grand prix wins
  • 97 poles
  • 8 Australian grand prix poles
  • 161 podium finishes
  • 4 different seasons with 17 podium finishes, Seb and Shumi each only have 1 17 podium season
  • races finished in the points 225
  • 45 consecutive points finishes
  • 932 consecutive points scored
  • 14.07 points per race average
  • 413 points in a season
  • 45 consecutive race finishes
  • 22 races where he has lead every lap
  • 159 races where he lead at least 1 lap
  • led for 25,2259 km
  • 57 pole and win in the same race
And those are just the major records where he has sole possession of, or is tied for first!
197 104 103 7

foxmulder_ms

Especially his pass on Leclerc. I screamed!!!!!. I have 1% of this 40 year old's reflexes....

zibby43

dans79 wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 04:23
ringo wrote:
Some time I think the best response would be to to just send them a link to this page and tell them to search for "Hamilton".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_F ... er_records
  • 262 consecutive race starts Rosberg is second with 206
  • 92 wins
  • 8 Hungarian grand prix wins
  • 97 poles
  • 8 Australian grand prix poles
  • 161 podium finishes
  • 4 different seasons with 17 podium finishes, Seb and Shumi each only have 1 17 podium season
  • races finished in the points 225
  • 45 consecutive points finishes
  • 932 consecutive points scored
  • 14.07 points per race average
  • 413 points in a season
  • 45 consecutive race finishes
  • 22 races where he has lead every lap
  • 159 races where he lead at least 1 lap
  • led for 25,2259 km
  • 57 pole and win in the same race
And those are just the major records where he has sole possession of, or is tied for first!
When you see them all listed out like that (especially taking into account that this is just the "greatest hits"), it's absolutely remarkable.

No matter the equipment, which you must have to even have the opportunity to achieve something like this, to have the both the skill, willpower, and consistency, to do it week after week, year after year, is just staggering.

Great post to further highlight Lewis' achievement today at Portimao!

Sevach

foxmulder_ms wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 04:29
Especially his pass on Leclerc. I screamed!!!!!. I have 1% of this 40 year old's reflexes....
I was like "Is that.... Kimi??? How is he in this battle?????"

Shame things went back to normal later...

e30ernest

I think Kimi is doing much better in the Alfa because there is much less pressure when compared to his stay at Ferrari. He kind of reminds me of the young Kimi now. So relaxed, confident and giving us some great drives.

selvam_e2002

Schuttelberg wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 20:24
To whom it may concern.. “please retire!!”

Honestly, if Russell has to sit a year out for this guy it will show everything that’s broken about F1!
Mercedes screwed Ocon... now Russel. disappointed with them and wasting their young talent. If he sits one year out of F1, he will struggle to in next year along with Ham. very much disappointed.

Kick botas out and bring back Russel.

cheeRS

ringo wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 23:33
I think the point people have made or are making is that quite often some users are claiming Hamilton needs a better team mate to prove himself. When in fact its the likes of Max, Charles ect who are the ones who need to prove themselves. Lewis has done his talking on track for 14yrs now. Beating Alonso, Button and Rosberg along the way, yet he still has to prove himself #-o
Thank you!
The shoe cleaning thing was just to demonstrate the gulf in experience, and acheivements.
Maybe some have been watching F1 since Max came along..
I know i have just been watching from 1998 but i think it's a fair amount to make an objective assessment of the dificulty in winning a championship even once or winning at least 5 times in one season.
Yet we have people posting here placing guys who havent experienced much and are unproven and using that unknown quantity as a benchmark to "prove" the most successful driver in the sport, who raced with alonso, kimi, massa, button, shumacher, kubica, vettel. It's just ignorant or disrespectful to assume that Hamilton needs to prove anything really. Hence my use of shoe cleaning. The truth is these guys like Max and Leclerc haven't done anything beyond a Montoya, Kimi, Webber, Barichello, Coulthard muchless. And these are very good drivers i am talking about. By no means are these guys mediocre.

Amen. This post should be a sticky =D>
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

carisi2k

Lewis didn't beat Alonso he tied him and he never convincingly beat button. In fact in 2011 it was Jenson that spanked Lewis significantly. But your point is taken that Lewis has had harder teammates then Max and Charles.

Ringleheim

We are in an era now where one driver can break all the records if he gets lucky enough to find himself in the right team at the right time, and is capable of consistently beating only one driver: his teammate.

Hamilton has scored literally dozens of wins on the cheap. Just a Vettel did before him. Although, in fairness, it can be argued Schumi did the same thing. In some of his seasons (2002 comes to mind) the gap between the Ferrari and everyone else was gigantic and Schumi just had to keep Barichello in check.

The guys who stand out in this era are people like Piquet, Prost, Senna, Mansell. Not nearly as many cheap wins in their day.

Mansell89

carisi2k wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 08:34
Lewis didn't beat Alonso he tied him and he never convincingly beat button. In fact in 2011 it was Jenson that spanked Lewis significantly. But your point is taken that Lewis has had harder teammates then Max and Charles.
I love Button and am a huge fan but whilst he may have outscored Lewis that one year, it was blindingly obvious just how much faster Lewis was.

From memory didn’t Lewis have all sorts of dramas that year that cost him points (retirements) etc.

Hamilton has been fast in every car he’s been in, even those years where Newey had his amazing Red Bulls, Hamilton was churning out poles.

Bsowles

El Scorchio wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 12:21
nevill3 wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 12:14
The site also says less than 2mm of rain, will that be enough on this new paving to create an ice rink??
2mm you say? :o
The man said 2mm! Don’t you hear too well? 😁

Cheers. 👍

TheGkbrk

Lewis breaking Michael's record is huge, one that got me really emotional, even though I am not a Lewis fan. Lewis Hamilton is a special driver, an amazing talent, one that won't come very often. Me as a fan of Formula 1 for 14 years, since I was 11, I can only respect such an amazing achievement for my passion, love and respect for this sport. He had an amazing team, the most successful in F1 history, backing him on his way and can be compared to other GOATs but there is no denying that he deserved all he achieved. We witnessed history. Congratulations Lewis, from the bottom of my heart.

DChemTech

Ringleheim wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 08:36
We are in an era now where one driver can break all the records if he gets lucky enough to find himself in the right team at the right time, and is capable of consistently beating only one driver: his teammate.

Hamilton has scored literally dozens of wins on the cheap. Just a Vettel did before him. Although, in fairness, it can be argued Schumi did the same thing. In some of his seasons (2002 comes to mind) the gap between the Ferrari and everyone else was gigantic and Schumi just had to keep Barichello in check.

The guys who stand out in this era are people like Piquet, Prost, Senna, Mansell. Not nearly as many cheap wins in their day.
To be fair, those last few all had their bouts of having a dominant car, too - '88, '89 and '92 were definitely such cases. Yet, the bouts of dominance did not span as many years as the current MB-dominance does.
Anyhow, this whole discussion doesn't seem that appropriate for the race thread. Weren't there any on-track conflicts to bash each other over whilst arguing in circles (arguably more circles than are covered in a typical indycar race)? ;)