[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

ScottB wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 17:30
Jolle wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 16:26
El Scorchio wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 11:10

My thoughts too. I think before 2022 or end of 2022 is a likely time if the regulation changes mix things up and Merc (probably unlikely) turn into just also rans. If they are still on top then it'll be whenever he gets bored or isn't at the top of his game any more.
Impossible to look really into his head and see his motivation but... he seems to enjoy racing even better then the winning. He’s more a Räikkönen type then a Rosberg. I read an interview a while back (around the time Rosberg retired) that he was also aware of what Schumacher went trough. His comeback was because he didn’t want to retire back in 2006 in the first place. It was so much more rewarding to fight for 5th then not race as all.
I can see him scaling down his media and sponsor activities and focus on racing and activism. Even when Mercedes doesn’t deliver or he gets beaten by a teammate.

I think he’s the four wheel version of Valentino Rossi.
I think there will come a point where his off track activities will interest him more; the music, the fashion, increasingly activism, charity work, politics etc as well as any personal things he might want to do, have a family etc.

For now, I think he loves winning, and there are still records to claim. Once he has them all, once Toto inevitably steps back, and, presumably, at some point the Merc stops being as good as it is relative to the field, he'll go. I'd be very surprised if he's still around in his 40's, certainly. I could see him doing a 2 year deal, then, unless racing the 2022 cars really blows him away, he will retire. I think legacy and his image are important to him, going out as 'the champ' would probably appeal, not carrying on way too long, powers fading, trundling round at the back like Kimi.
I think the thing most likely to tempt Lewis away from Merc is something exciting in an electric series.
He has been looking around by the sound of it, so if the right drive came up, he may take it. Or even start or front his own team.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

NoDivergence

LM10 wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 15:23
Seems like Gary Anderson only remembers the time from 2018 on. It’s like a slap in the face to tell that Mercedes did not have the edge in the first few years primarily because of their PU.
He seems to have forgotten 2017 as well when Ferrari with a superior chassis got slaughtered on the straights by Mercedes.

As for his claim that it’s not been a Mercedes era - couldn’t disagree more. Hamilton is the best driver, but he’s not been the biggest factor in the domination of Mercedes.

It’s not the first time Gary Anderson talks some weird stuff. Remember him being sure about Ferrari walking to the title in 2019. We all know how that turned out.
2017 Ferrari chassis was insanely draggy whereas Mercedes went for high efficiency.

zibby43

Toto Wolff long-form Beyond the Grid interview:

https://audioboom.com/posts/7710152-tot ... ng-records

TAG

"I don't want to allow these voices that say, 'well, he drives a Mercedes, it's obvious that he wins so many races'.

"The drivers that say that, they should analyse why they haven't found a way into a Mercedes."
Woah, Toto throwing down hard here.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

TAG

McG wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 00:52
When it's put that way it really seems like a crime that Max, Alonso or another match for Hamilton wasn't put in the other Merc. For all that Merc make it out like they aren't like Ferrari, they are very similar in this sense. They don't want 2 cars battling every race which is a shame for us.
Who won the championship in 2007 and why?
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

El Scorchio

TAG wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 16:26
McG wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 00:52
When it's put that way it really seems like a crime that Max, Alonso or another match for Hamilton wasn't put in the other Merc. For all that Merc make it out like they aren't like Ferrari, they are very similar in this sense. They don't want 2 cars battling every race which is a shame for us.
Who won the championship in 2007 and why?
It's a brilliant example. Two drivers fighting TOO hard is not a good thing for a team. If the car wasn't so strong 2014-16, Hamilton and Rosberg's clashing could easily have cost some championships. Don't forget the points both RBR and Ferrari have lost in previous years from their drivers crashing into each other and causing DNFs or even double DNFs.

Mercedes are there to win championships over everything else.

PlatinumZealot

Anthony Hamilton said that Lewis finds nothing more pleasing than standing on the podium. Lewis himself said that his 91st win almost felt like his first one! So what im saying is that we should never underestimate an athlete's motivation for his sport.

With all Kimi's antics over the years I could never have imagined that Kimi would become the longest serving driver. He seemed so disinterested some times with all the drinking and partying and the "leave me alones" the thrashings by Alonso and Vettel, the number 2 treatment, it was almost unthinkiable that he would stay on so long, but he has!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Big Tea

PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 17:02
Anthony Hamilton said that Lewis finds nothing more pleasing than standing on the podium. Lewis himself said that his 91st win almost felt like his first one! So what im saying is that we should never underestimate an athlete's motivation for his sport.

With all Kimi's antics over the years I could never have imagined that Kimi would become the longest serving driver. He seemed so disinterested some times with all the drinking and partying and the "leave me alones" the thrashings by Alonso and Vettel, the number 2 treatment, it was almost unthinkiable that he would stay on so long, but he has!
Kimi is quite a good comparison to Hamilton actually.

He has a life outside F1. Snowmobile racing, boats, friends etc. He is not one who's whole life revolve about F1 and he has no other interests, so why should we think Hamilton will get 'fed up of it' and get on with his other life.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dans79

PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 17:02
Kimi loves the actual driving, but hates everything else about the circus. Hamilton is very similar in that regard, and why is seems like every time he signs a new contract the sticking point isn't $$$, but how many promotional obligations can he avoid doing.
197 104 103 7

Phil

I think it’s easier to love your job in F1 if you have a healthy balance outside F1. It’s pretty much the same with every job. Do nothing but that one thing and you’ll get fed up with it sooner or later. A healthy variety goes a long way of curing that.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

zibby43

All of Lewis' wins, visualized (credit to /u/cars_a_wreck_now on r/formula1):

dans79

The official formula 1 video is up about Lewis's win record.

197 104 103 7

Phil

I just watched that clip in its entirety. Simply astonishing.

And I have to add; damn the Mercedes has been a beautiful car these last few years. I even really started to like the black livery too.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

zibby43

Phil wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 19:15

And I have to add; damn the Mercedes has been a beautiful car these last few years. I even really started to like the black livery too.
If you or anyone else would like to check out a great e-book chronicling all of Hamilton’s 92 wins, you can check that out here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... ource=link

Various download methods available there.

Something that has been in the works for a while now.

dans79

zibby43 wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 20:36
Phil wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 19:15

If you or anyone else would like to check out a great e-book chronicling all of Hamilton’s 92 wins, you can check that out here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... ource=link

Various download methods available there.

Something that has been in the works for a while now.
I'm only a few pages in but it looks very good so far.
197 104 103 7