Red Bull RB16

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sieper

Re: Red Bull RB16

LM10 wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 21:24
Sieper wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 21:15
daren_p wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 20:52

Not correct, McLaren was the first to test the 21 floor, back in Spa.
Yes, so I have heared indeed, even in this topic. Missed that. Seems Ferrari also tested the 2021 floor here.
Ferrari tested 2021 floor and diffuser in Portimao. Seems like they’re the first team to have tested diffuser as well.
Yes, they have. The main difference is that those guide vanes in the middle may not be as high anymore and indeed Ferrari tested a diffuser with less long guide vanes, exactly as per the rule.

Bandit1216

Would high rake be a disadvantage on the 2021 smaller floors because of the sealing of the floor?
But just suppose it weren't hypothetical.

GioKer32

Bandit1216 wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 08:53
Would high rake be a disadvantage on the 2021 smaller floors because of the sealing of the floor?
The high rake concept will be a disadvantage next year due to the smaller floor but, on top of that, because of the abolition of the slots in front of the rear tires.
They are fundamental to avoid dirty air going under the car damaging the aerodynamics of the diffuser, so next year diffusers will be way less efficient.

ryaan2904

GioKer32 wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 11:16
Bandit1216 wrote:
The high rake concept will be a disadvantage next year due to the smaller floor but, on top of that, because of the abolition of the slots in front of the rear tires.
They are fundamental to avoid dirty air going under the car damaging the aerodynamics of the diffuser, so next year diffusers will be way less efficient.
Why is the fia constantly making rules to make Mercedes faster anyways :x
CFD Eyes of Sauron

Big Tea

ryaan2904 wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 13:09
GioKer32 wrote:
Bandit1216 wrote:
Do they need rules changed for that :twisted:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

SiLo

Interestingly in the Beyond The Grid episode recently, Toto actually said changing the rules every 2-3 years suits Mercedes because of how they work internally.
Felipe Baby!

Bandit1216

ryaan2904 wrote:
GioKer32 wrote:
Bandit1216 wrote:
Well, It may seem that way, but I'm really wondering why merc isn't copied even more. To me it looks like most are still looking at RB. Wouldn't it be obvious to copy the team that wins every year? It's now the 5th or 6th year In a row RB says, "no low rake, long chassis is bad, short and high rake is better" I'm starting to think they are no longer the best, but they sure a hell are the most stubborn. Just my opinion.

etusch

Bandit1216 wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 09:28
ryaan2904 wrote:
GioKer32 wrote:

Well, It may seem that way, but I'm really wondering why merc isn't copied even more. To me it looks like most are still looking at RB. Wouldn't it be obvious to copy the team that wins every year? It's now the 5th or 6th year In a row RB says, "no low rake, long chassis is bad, short and high rake is better" I'm starting to think they are no longer the best, but they sure a hell are the most stubborn. Just my opinion.
It is not only way of thinking what you did. And when considered teams are working with data's as professionals, it is not generally visible parts of car what makes merc faster but invisible parts and tyre usage. If it were only outside RP also would beat RBR. So it is obvious that aero and what merc gives RP are not parts which make merc fastest.

Bandit1216

etusch wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 09:45
Bandit1216 wrote:
ryaan2904 wrote:

It is not only way of thinking what you did. And when considered teams are working with data's as professionals, it is not generally visible parts of car what makes merc faster but invisible parts and tyre usage. If it were only outside RP also would beat RBR. So it is obvious that aero and what merc gives RP are not parts which make merc fastest.
Year. I have a few ideas what they do. Maybe BS, maybe stupid or plain ignorant, but I've put them in the aero part.

zibby43

via Albert Fabrega

godlameroso

Big ol' barn door rear wing.
Saishū kōnā

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ryaan2904

That last image bargeboards clearly copy and paste from the one and only Mercedes. One or two post before this someone asked why other teams dont copy the mercs. Well, you got it :wink:
CFD Eyes of Sauron

godlameroso

Bandit1216 wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 10:09
etusch wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 09:45
Bandit1216 wrote:

Year. I have a few ideas what they do. Maybe BS, maybe stupid or plain ignorant, but I've put them in the aero part.
Cooling is 30% of the drag, the less cooling you need the less drag you have. The way the air flows inside the chassis is also very important. Remember that the radiators and all the stuff under the skin creates drag, it slows down air relative to the air traveling around the car. It also heats that air above ambient, which interacts with the wake of the car.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

ryaan2904 wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 21:59
That last image bargeboards clearly copy and paste from the one and only Mercedes. One or two post before this someone asked why other teams dont copy the mercs. Well, you got it :wink:
What's copied? They have to have some of the same features because they both have capes, but the actual shape of the bargeboards are very different. Mercedes has a dual element channel at the edge of the bargeboard, whereas RBR has those two wavy winglets. The venetian blinds are different as well, as are the boomerang elements.
Saishū kōnā