Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: Mercedes W11

Istanbul is hard on tires, particularly sector 2, and the long turn 8. It's such a fast corner that no one will have trouble getting heat in the tires. The C1 and C2 will be good race tires. C1 may have some graining on the left side, as this is a counter clockwise circuit so the right gets a good workout. While the front left may never really come up to temperature.
Saishū kōnā

NathanOlder

dtro wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 06:00
Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 18:12
Kimi is the only current driver who has raced at Imola in an F1 car.

Hamilton raced there in GP2, starting P3 in the feature race before being disqualified. He started the sprint race P15 and finished in P10.
Redemption time
Maybe lol, although he was disqualified for overtaking the safety car because he thought he was a lap down. when I think he was actually leading the race. Was all a mix up when he had a drive through penalty for a jump start, then everyone pitted when the safety car came out at the same time he did his drive through. A few lappped cars were waved by as usual and he followed them expecting to be well down as he had just served his penalty :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

SiLo

NathanOlder wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 00:51
dtro wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 06:00
Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 18:12
Kimi is the only current driver who has raced at Imola in an F1 car.

Hamilton raced there in GP2, starting P3 in the feature race before being disqualified. He started the sprint race P15 and finished in P10.
Redemption time
Maybe lol, although he was disqualified for overtaking the safety car because he thought he was a lap down. when I think he was actually leading the race. Was all a mix up when he had a drive through penalty for a jump start, then everyone pitted when the safety car came out at the same time he did his drive through. A few lappped cars were waved by as usual and he followed them expecting to be well down as he had just served his penalty :lol:
What a mess! These are the best drivers in the world though so I expect them to learn the track pretty quickly.
Felipe Baby!

zibby43

Lower-downforce RW spec compared to Portimao.

via Albert Fabrega

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

sprint car76

Small back wing.

zibby43

Bottas' car has a lower-downforce spec RW, whereas Hamilton has the higher-downforce configuration.

Makes sense running different configurations on the cars with the shortened practice schedule.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

bosyber

After wondering where the piece of Vettel's endplate got stuck, and how/why it didn't dislodge, but did cost him a lot (I thought maybe under the floor, but that should have produced some sparks, right?), the-race.com had an article about it, giving this picture:

So, why is this relevant for the W11? Well, I think one can nicely see that, here to Bottas detriment, the aerodynamics guided that sailing bit of endplate nicely behind the barge-boards, which is probably where it got stuck from being to big to be guided around the sidepods!

Just_a_fan

bosyber wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 13:55
the aerodynamics guided that sailing bit of endplate nicely behind the barge-boards, which is probably where it got stuck from being to big to be guided around the sidepods!
I doubt it was the aerodynamics that put it there. The tea tray will have hit it and then it will have been thrown one side or the other of the car and caught on the first bit that got in the way
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zibby43

Merc removing the debris during a pitstop:

PlatinumZealot

Having that turbine closer to the engine has really given them a tight coke bottle area.

Expect Ferrari and Renault to follow suit.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

e30ernest

PlatinumZealot wrote:
07 Nov 2020, 21:59
Having that turbine closer to the engine has really given them a tight coke bottle area.

It's amazing how they've managed to squeeze-in +/-1000 reliable HP in such a tight space. I know their slightly longer wheelbase would have helped but still....

godlameroso

PlatinumZealot wrote:

They have to. The new regulations will force teams to improve packaging as that is where all the aero potential is. The rest of the bodywork rules are so restrictive that it's nothing but aero optimization.
Saishū kōnā

OO7
OO7

PlatinumZealot wrote:

I could be wrong, but I'm not so sure that having the turbine closer to the engine is the reason. Mercedes place their intercooler in front of the engine and pipework from the intake to the compressor and from the compressor to the plenum, are all ahead of the engine, essentially pushing it backwards. The Ferrari has/had it's intercooler and associated pipework above the engine. This increases the c.g, but creates a shorter engine package. The turbo is substantially place in the free space of the the gearbox casing/slightly above it.