Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FDD
FDD

Re: Mercedes W11

Maybe I am wrong but I think that Merc has "cold" part of the turbo in front of the engine.

F1Krof

Jeeezzz look at this crazy atrax robostus... Isn't this the most comprehensive Formula 1 car ever made (so far)?

Wroom wroom

PlatinumZealot

OO7 wrote:
08 Nov 2020, 16:34
PlatinumZealot wrote:
07 Nov 2020, 21:59
Having that turbine closer to the engine has really given them a tight coke bottle area.

Expect Ferrari and Renault to follow suit.
I could be wrong, but I'm not so sure that having the turbine closer to the engine is the reason. Mercedes place their intercooler in front of the engine and pipework from the intake to the compressor and from the compressor to the plenum, are all ahead of the engine, essentially pushing it backwards. The Ferrari has/had it's intercooler and associated pipework above the engine. This increases the c.g, but creates a shorter engine package. The turbo is substantially place in the free space of the the gearbox casing/slightly above it.
Mercedes cut an upsided down "T" shape in their chassis to accomodate the intake pipe and intercooler.

Also the gearbox. The closer turbine means the exhaust can be wrapped tightly around the back if the engine. A slender gearbox is desired for aero, having a narrower start of the gearbox is easier with the split turbine, regardless of what distance the gearbox is from the monococque. If you do a CFD you will see an energy sapping area of flow just between the front of the rear wheels and the chassis. So making this space more open is always beneficial.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

FDD wrote:
08 Nov 2020, 17:54
Maybe I am wrong but I think that Merc has "cold" part of the turbo in front of the engine.
Tell me more 8)
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

balalev

flexible T-wing

update: its just broken. wasnt moving at the beginning of the race.

wogx

F1Krof wrote:
08 Nov 2020, 20:45
Jeeezzz look at this crazy atrax robustus... Isn't this the most comprehensive Formula 1 car ever made (so far)?

https://www.australiangeographic.com.au ... spider.jpg
That's not an Atrax, it's a Latrodectus

/offtop

I've found a "bitumen flow-vis" photo

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Blackout

These conditions provide great natural flowviz pics

Just_a_fan

Blackout wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 09:31
https://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/pho ... ce/563.jpg
Yes indeed. I'm surprised how the air appears to lift upwards in the coke bottle - I guess that's from air coming in laterally across the top of the floor. Or perhaps there's a "bubble" of slower air in front of the diffuser step / rear suspension that causes the air to flow upward in that zone. Slower air would be, relative to the air below the floor, high pressure meaning some downforce.

Also, that rear tyre - if your road car wore its tyres like that, you'd think you had overinflated them by quite a bit. All that big tyre and they only wore the central belt amounting to half of the available tread.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PhillipM

That's because they were overinflated quite a bit. They were running hot.

SiLo

Blackout wrote:
Just realised they put Lewis' logo on his tyres!
Felipe Baby!

zibby43

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 10:55
Blackout wrote:
Also, that rear tyre - if your road car wore its tyres like that, you'd think you had overinflated them by quite a bit. All that big tyre and they only wore the central belt amounting to half of the available tread.
For sure.

The aggressive camber of F1 cars plays a role in the different wear pattern, in addition to Pirelli's balloon PSI requirements.

Typically, the more downforce you have, the more you flatten the tire and work the tire evenly across the surface of the tread (instead of making localized hot spots). In the race yesterday, with the unusually smooth tarmac and cool, wet conditions, the pace was lower than usual, and cars weren't operating at the peak of their performance envelopes.

Also, both the Inters and Wets have slightly taller tread profiles than the slicks, which changes how all the variables (camber, PSI, and other set-up choices) interact with one another.

humble sabot

Biggest surprise here is the difference in wear between left and right. Particularly in the front.
wogx wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 22:25
https://i.imgur.com/boRPCS5.jpg
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

Just_a_fan

humble sabot wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 09:32
Biggest surprise here is the difference in wear between left and right. Particularly in the front.
wogx wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 22:25
https://i.imgur.com/boRPCS5.jpg
All circuits will tend to wear one side more than the other as they have more left or right corners - Turkey has more left handers than right handers I think. T8, being a long left hander, will especially wear the right hand tyres more than the left.

Stu

balalev wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 18:26
flexible T-wing

https://preview.redd.it/ixm3posbjfz51.j ... c20740df97
I remember being at Silverstone once, F3 were on the race-card and one of the competitors had a bit of a tangle early on and his air box (and therefore restrictor) was knocked off. He continued to the end, but was disqualified.
He started the race with a legal car, but didn’t finish with one!
F1 seems to operate to different rules, certainly as far as bodywork is concerned!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Just_a_fan

Stu wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 21:47
balalev wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 18:26
flexible T-wing

https://preview.redd.it/ixm3posbjfz51.j ... c20740df97
I remember being at Silverstone once, F3 were on the race-card and one of the competitors had a bit of a tangle early on and his air box (and therefore restrictor) was knocked off. He continued to the end, but was disqualified.
He started the race with a legal car, but didn’t finish with one!
F1 seems to operate to different rules, certainly as far as bodywork is concerned!
Removing an air restrictor is always going to be beneficial. Broken bodywork is almost always going to be detrimental.