[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

As an aside, I do feel the stewards were unnecessarily harsh with McLaren this weekend. I remember vaguely there being an incident of impeding a couple of races ago where no action was taken because the impeded driver wasn’t affected in the long run. Can’t remember the drivers involved, or perhaps I’m just imagining things. Plus 5 place drop for Norris, even after he slowed?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

diffuser

ALO_Power wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 14:47
Nice result. McLaren seemed very competitive and feels a shame that had to start from so far back. The pace was there for greater things. Gonna be an awesome fight for P3, definitely in it.
This race was a lottery. Half the cars in the top 10 started outside the top 10. Several started in the bottom 5. Don't think where one started had anything to do with where one finished. Alot of the difference was made by calls. Oddly in this race, calls that worked for one team did not work for another.

diffuser

Ground Effect wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 15:10
As an aside, I do feel the stewards were unnecessarily harsh with McLaren this weekend. I remember vaguely there being an incident of impeding a couple of races ago where no action was taken because the impeded driver wasn’t affected in the long run. Can’t remember the drivers involved, or perhaps I’m just imagining things. Plus 5 place drop for Norris, even after he slowed?
I'm not for or against that penalty, just gonna say it ended up being his fastest lap and that time remained green for that sector. That was the argument put forwarded by the Stewart's.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 15:18
ALO_Power wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 14:47
Nice result. McLaren seemed very competitive and feels a shame that had to start from so far back. The pace was there for greater things. Gonna be an awesome fight for P3, definitely in it.
This race was a lottery. Half the cars in the top 10 started outside the top 10. Several started in the bottom 5. Don't think where one started had anything to do with where one finished. Alot of the difference was made by calls. Oddly in this race, calls that worked for one team did not work for another.
There’s always a bit of a lottery in these conditions, but also a chance for the drivers to show a bit of class. Carlos showed his, as did Lando, Lewis, Vettel, Leclerc etc. There seems to be a bit of a seesawing in opinions about our drivers, based on how the weekend goes. But I truly believe both are in the upper tier of performers. Carlos isn’t flashy or box office and definitely not quite as rapid as Max, but he’s extremely cerebral and almost always does what is required of him, whether it’s picking up the pace, putting in series of consistent lap times or keeping his tyres for a last stand assault. Lando is learning, doesn’t make many mistakes in tough conditions, even where more experienced drivers do. He could do more or learn quicker maybe, but he’s got tons of potential. I think based on current progress, a 2021 driver pairing of Ricciardo and Sainz would be stronger, but further down the road, I think Lando can become a real star driver.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

A weekend where you had complete opposites on Saturday and Sunday... What helped teams on Saturday (been able to turn on their tires quickly) was what complicated things for them on Sunday where they were overheating their tires... For Mclaren, the lack of heat generation cost them qualifying, but during the race they were able to maintain the tires on the sweet spot and that helped a lot in the result.

A few had said already, if it was a matter of damage limitation, the team couldn’t have dreamed of a better result... After starting behind both Racing Points and both Renaults... With the RP’s with the potential for a double podium, coming away in front of both Renault’s and one of the RP’s couldn’t have been better.

A lot of doom and gloom yesterday after qualifying and after today’s race, they are still fighting for 3rd place with a couple of races where the expectation is that the car will be competitive based on the layout.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

diffuser

Yeah a double pink podium(40+ points) would have been impossible to overcome.

The next race is a know quantity too.

JRindt

diffuser wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 15:23
Ground Effect wrote:
I'm not for or against that penalty, just gonna say it ended up being his fastest lap and that time remained green for that sector. That was the argument put forwarded by the Stewart's.
I didn’t watch the quali yesterday, but from what I read, stroll set his pole time on a lap where he had to lift for yellows. He improved because of track evolution despite the lift and didn’t get any penalty.

https://www.espn.in/f1/story/_/id/30316 ... nce-stroll

He did so while lifting for yellow flags at Turn 7 where his more experienced teammate, who had been on a faster lap up until that point, had spun. The stewards investigated whether Stroll had ignored the yellows, but telemetry and onboard footage clearly showed him lifting off the throttle and coasting through the corner - enough for the stewards to agree he had shown caution as his teammate sat in the run off area.

Stroll still set personal best mini sectors at that part of the track, which is usually used as a barometer as to whether a driver ignored yellow flags, but because the conditions were improving so much at the end of the session, his faster sector times were deemed to be a result of the improving track conditions rather than him pushing on regardless of the yellows. Even with the lift, he still had a 0.290s advantage over Verstappen on the same tyres in the same conditions.

I fail to understand how it is different to Norris, who got the grid drop and 3 penalty points. #-o

diffuser

JRindt wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 17:08
diffuser wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 15:23
Ground Effect wrote:
I didn’t watch the quali yesterday, but from what I read, stroll set his pole time on a lap where he had to lift for yellows. He improved because of track evolution despite the lift and didn’t get any penalty.

https://www.espn.in/f1/story/_/id/30316 ... nce-stroll

He did so while lifting for yellow flags at Turn 7 where his more experienced teammate, who had been on a faster lap up until that point, had spun. The stewards investigated whether Stroll had ignored the yellows, but telemetry and onboard footage clearly showed him lifting off the throttle and coasting through the corner - enough for the stewards to agree he had shown caution as his teammate sat in the run off area.

Stroll still set personal best mini sectors at that part of the track, which is usually used as a barometer as to whether a driver ignored yellow flags, but because the conditions were improving so much at the end of the session, his faster sector times were deemed to be a result of the improving track conditions rather than him pushing on regardless of the yellows. Even with the lift, he still had a 0.290s advantage over Verstappen on the same tyres in the same conditions.

I fail to understand how it is different to Norris, who got the grid drop and 3 penalty points. #-o
Not all yellows are equal. Stroll's was a simple yellow which simply requires you to lift. Norris's yellow was a double yellow, hard lift and be prepared to stop.

_cerber1

Great race from our guys. Hopefully we end the season on a high note.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 16:23
A weekend where you had complete opposites on Saturday and Sunday... What helped teams on Saturday (been able to turn on their tires quickly) was what complicated things for them on Sunday where they were overheating their tires... For Mclaren, the lack of heat generation cost them qualifying, but during the race they were able to maintain the tires on the sweet spot and that helped a lot in the result.

A few had said already, if it was a matter of damage limitation, the team couldn’t have dreamed of a better result... After starting behind both Racing Points and both Renaults... With the RP’s with the potential for a double podium, coming away in front of both Renault’s and one of the RP’s couldn’t have been better.

A lot of doom and gloom yesterday after qualifying and after today’s race, they are still fighting for 3rd place with a couple of races where the expectation is that the car will be competitive based on the layout.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I only watched the last 10 laps but when Leclerc and Perez were tangling on the last lap, I was definitely dreaming of a better result :mrgreen:

But yeah it was a great come back and Lando managed to snatch the fastest lap point, which at this rate could be crucial. As everyone has said here, it was a great result. 5 Points behind RP is nothing, but then the gap behind is also not so large that we have a safe buffer, so it is a bitter fight to the end.

I'd like to think that we can develop a little bit more and snatch that third and actually I feel a little optimistic.

Regarding Stroll, I think he overplayed his setup yesterday for the conditions hence the overheating tyres. I'm glad that his run of poor results is continuing, because if that stops then we can say goodbye to third. Can't believe that Perez won't be there next year...
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Would be really cool if McLaren could run Pato O’Ward at the Abu Dhabi test, but they’re not running anybody.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Saw this interview on the autosport forum, apologies if I’m not copying it right. Quite a good interview. PW really does good interviews, very uncomplicated.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

All the money are in Bahrain now. 2 races there so, the midfield car that will work best there will clinch P3 probably. McLaren been traditionally good in Bahrain so, fingers crossed.

_cerber1

=D> =D> =D>

billamend
billamend

Ground Effect wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 19:31
Interesting comments on RP irresponsibility around COVID. They definitely have an habit of not telling the whole truth.