Racing Point RP20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Ozan

Re: Racing Point RP20

amazing photo of how side floor is feeding the diffuser

tomazy

This feeding is accualy undesirable. All the slots in the floor in that area are there to minimase this effect. By spilling the air from the top of the floor (high pressure) to the bottom of the floor (low pressure) there is a smaller diffirance in pressures and so less downforce. The changes to the regulations for 2021 are there specificaly to make this feeding effect greater.

trinidefender

As a McLaren fan I would like to extend my condolences. Checo really deserved that podium and while it definitely helps my team it isn't great to see a drive like that end the way it did.

From a fan of one team that knows the heartbreak of engine failures to another.

As far as components used, does he have to take any penalties?

SiLo

Ozan wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 21:12
http://www.imgim.com/eoawggowmaeddrt.jpg

amazing photo of how side floor is feeding the diffuser
Can you repost this? It's not loading for me, I just get a server error.
Felipe Baby!

jh199

I can't see the photo of the side floor sealing the diffuser linked above but here is a Reddit post with a gif showing the same thing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/F1Technical/co ... _diffuser/

Just_a_fan

tomazy wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 21:30
This feeding is accualy undesirable. All the slots in the floor in that area are there to minimase this effect. By spilling the air from the top of the floor (high pressure) to the bottom of the floor (low pressure) there is a smaller diffirance in pressures and so less downforce. The changes to the regulations for 2021 are there specificaly to make this feeding effect greater.
The flow is kept on top of the floor up until it passes the rear most set of VGs, it then turns under the floor and goes along the inside face of the tyre. Getting a vortex to run around like that would entrain the tyre squirt and thus aid the diffuser massively. This is a good thing.

The 2021 changes will hamper tyre squirt control and thus reduce diffuser effectiveness. That's one reason the diffuser vanes have been reduced in vertical size - it limits how the teams deal with the tyre squirt.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Ozan

jh199

pierrre

racing point floor

SmallSoldier

pierrre wrote:racing point floor
Those are great pics! Thanks for sharing... It’s not often that we get to see this side of the cars :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stu

Interesting! We all concentrate on the externally viewable portion of the ‘control structure’ in front of the side pods in terms of how it controls airflow around the side of the car, these pictures show how it also effectively extends the floor right up towards the front tyres.
Previously I had considered that the incoming 2022 rules were to increase the use of the floor for downforce, having seen those shots I would now say that they are more about controlling how you use the floor to control downforce.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

jjn9128

Stu wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 08:52
Interesting! We all concentrate on the externally viewable portion of the ‘control structure’ in front of the side pods in terms of how it controls airflow around the side of the car, these pictures show how it also effectively extends the floor right up towards the front tyres.
Previously I had considered that the incoming 2022 rules were to increase the use of the floor for downforce, having seen those shots I would now say that they are more about controlling how you use the floor to control downforce.
The 2022 rules have never been about increasing underbody downforce, just making it towards the centre of the floor rather than at the extremes.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Fonsee

Look at the helmet. Smoke out of the monocoque?!
Is there a f-duct? :wtf:
jh199 wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 20:39
I can't see the photo of the side floor sealing the diffuser linked above but here is a Reddit post with a gif showing the same thing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/F1Technical/co ... _diffuser/

hollus

So that's what the floor of the W10 was like!
In the pictures it looks like the diffuser starts as a sharp kink of 60 degrees or even more. Is this possible? That abrupt? I guess they are desperate to make the most of a very limited regulation box.
Rivals, not enemies.

jjn9128

hollus wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 13:58
So that's what the floor of the W10 was like!
In the pictures it looks like the diffuser starts as a sharp kink of 60 degrees or even more. Is this possible? That abrupt? I guess they are desperate to make the most of a very limited regulation box.
There's quite a lot of foreshortening on that image. Definitely need to make the most of the box but don't want to stall the diffuser (at most ride heights).
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica