2020 Sakhir Grand Prix - Sakhir, Dec 04 - 06

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SiLo

Re: 2020 Sakhir Grand Prix - Sakhir, Dec 04 - 06

They will use vandoorne, but they should really use Russell (if William would ever agree to it).
Felipe Baby!

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

SiLo

I hope he can race in Abu Dhabi. If only to see 99 poles this year and the ridiculous hype for 100 going into next season.

The bad thing for whoever steps into that seat, is that on a short track, times will be tight and any kind of mistake is going to see you punished in qualifying.
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 14:09
MtthsMlw wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 09:34
Return of Gutiérrez?
:shock: :shock: i think Hamilton had spread that disease in Parce Ferme after the race!!! He was mask off in front of a bunch of folks!
He'd had three negative tests during the weekend so they all likely expected him to be clear. Just shows how quickly you go from "clear" to "infected" - 12 hours from yippee to yuck.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

i70q7m7ghw

LHamilton wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 13:19
The most likely candidate, which I give 95 percent probibility, is Vandoorne. He has been in the simulator, he knows the car and that is something that teams tend to value (Just look at RP choosing Hulk over Vandoorne due to being familiar with the team). Very much Hulkenberg, Mercedes will have a good reference point of how Vandoorne works. What he likes, doesn't like, what he means when he tells you something etc. etc.
All those things can be said for Russell, he's tested the Mercedes and done sim work for them, he's contracted to Mercedes and loaned to Williams. I'm sure Mercedes could compenstate Williams which would make up for any outside chance they have of scoring 3 or more constructors points to beat Haas.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

What a perfect opportunity to test RUS. Get him out of his comfortable, zero-pressure seat at Williams and slap some expectation on him. BOT too will be motivated to crush the very person the doubters scream at the top of their lungs should be in that seat instead of him. It’s just so juicy. VAN can step in at Williams no problem. In any case, LAT over RUS is probably more likely to score points if the opportunity presents IMO.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

i70q7m7ghw

Pretty sure Russell was the last person to drive a Mercedes other than Ham & Bot, the Abu Dhabi test 12 months ago, someone correct me if I'm wrong? For Williams it will 100% be a money conversation, it's not a question of IF, it's a question of HOW MUCH.

Fulcrum

DChemTech wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 13:41
Fulcrum wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 13:35
Another left-field option: Perez, with Hulkenberg replacing Perez at Racing Point.
That is really far, far, far left. If the earth were flat, you'd be so far left you'd fall off ;)

I don't see any reason why a teamboss would tell one of their regular drivers "hey, you know what, why don't you go over to mercedes for a week and have some fun". Not for Russell, not for Perez. Even if the championship was fully done and dusted and the teams had no opportunity to change position in the WCC, it wouldn't make much sense - you still want to give it your best show, and not deal with the hassle of having a one-go driver in your team.

But in this case particularly, RP is in the middle of a very tight fight in the WCC, and they know their best shot at serious points is Sergio. The same applies to Russell - if Williams is to get any points this season, it won't be Latifi getting them.
No, I think my previous suggestion of Alonso would be more unlikely.

Either way, we know what the likely options are.

DChemTech

Fulcrum wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 14:59
DChemTech wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 13:41
Fulcrum wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 13:35
Another left-field option: Perez, with Hulkenberg replacing Perez at Racing Point.
That is really far, far, far left. If the earth were flat, you'd be so far left you'd fall off ;)

I don't see any reason why a teamboss would tell one of their regular drivers "hey, you know what, why don't you go over to mercedes for a week and have some fun". Not for Russell, not for Perez. Even if the championship was fully done and dusted and the teams had no opportunity to change position in the WCC, it wouldn't make much sense - you still want to give it your best show, and not deal with the hassle of having a one-go driver in your team.

But in this case particularly, RP is in the middle of a very tight fight in the WCC, and they know their best shot at serious points is Sergio. The same applies to Russell - if Williams is to get any points this season, it won't be Latifi getting them.
No, I think my previous suggestion of Alonso would be more unlikely.

Either way, we know what the likely options are.
I do agree on that :P

cooken

Would be shocked if no other members of the team or even folks in the paddock return positives through the week.

"Stay positive."
Could've chosen better wording there...

NathanOlder

Another thing to look at would be if Williams say no, how demotivated will Russell feel. I know he's a professional and will likely get over it once he's in the car, but it would be a kick in the teeth for George. He wont be best pleased. Its one thing being told "No" by someone with the surname Williams, but Simon 'been here 5 minutes' Roberts ?!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

cooken wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 15:13
Would be shocked if no other members of the team or even folks in the paddock return positives through the week.

"Stay positive."
better than "get negative" :wink:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Mogster

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 15:19
cooken wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 15:13

"Stay positive."
better than "get negative" :wink:
I have to admit I did spit my tea break brew out when I read the last line 😂

matt_b

The key question is where did he get the virus and who else has it in the paddock. Lewis requested his test after mild symptoms so interested to see what happens when everyone gets tested next because others might not have symptoms and may come back positive.