Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
mika vs michael

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Ferrari should keep a low profile...all those comments about a superfast engine etc...sounds like lesson not learned...
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

FDD
FDD

mvfad wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 15:04
I'm afraid about this supposed new engine. Ferrari has not managed to create a good engine during the last few years without using the gray area (aka cheat), will they be able to produce a good engine within the rules in less than 1 year, even more with all this covid issue?
Not possible to create engine on competitive level for 1 year, 2 are needed at least according to some history data. I'll be very satisfied if they come on 30HP behind Merc in 2021, everything above will be gorgeous.
Do not forget that Merc also used a grey area for long time with oil burning.
Ferrari find something in the grey area and they went too far with using that.
BTW when you are in zone which is not defined as illegal than you are not cheating. If you want to name anyone who is using grey zones as cheater then you must to name all the "cheaters" who used these zones.

Xwang

mika vs michael wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 16:23
Ferrari should keep a low profile...all those comments about a superfast engine etc...sounds like lesson not learned...
The internal name "Superfast" is not intended as "more powerful than others", but it indicates a faster combustion technology with respect to previous Ferrari F1 engines (which they hope will give better performance but could also not work at all).

mika vs michael

You are right but by super fast I did not mean the codename. I mean the comments from Binotto that the 2021 engine is going well etc.
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

MtthsMlw

via f1i.auto-moto.com

ryaan2904

mika vs michael wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 16:23
Its not Ferrari who spread the rumors. Ferrari develops the engine along with mahle, who felt like they deserved the credit (which they would have gotten anyway in 2021). Hence why only the combustion process details have leaks. Rest all is just speculation
CFD Eyes of Sauron

godlameroso

https://www.motorlat.com/notas/f1/17952 ... ne-in-2021
We should expect a sort of “Superfast” engine, which could be useful to study the future of Formula 1.

The new engine will not be a revolutionary version of the actual one but it will count on new solutions that were originally planned for the 2022 season. The turbo will be smaller indeed, to help the MGU-H improve its performances by recovering some extra electrical energy but there’s even more. Ferrari indeed, plans to add an innovative intercooler too.
The “Superfast” – that’s how the new engine is called internally – will adopt a combustion chamber which will be able to provide a very fast TDC. This visionary view comes extremely close to the diesel technology but without using the spark plugs.

As for the exhaust pipes, Ferrari will build an engine that will use future technology to come back to a “vintage” philosophy. The “Superfast” engine will indeed come back to the tumble technology instead of the actual swirl one.

The Prancing Horse aims to fill the gap with Mercedes by adding more kinetic energy, and wants to do it designing a new plug which should be able not only accelerating the flux but redirecting it by adding some pressure. This solution might help the engine to turn on in a quicker way but delimitating the area in which the flame could expand itself, eliminating like that some dangerous detonations.
Basically the ignition is faster because of new plugs, new intake and exhaust ports, and new materials.
Saishū kōnā

FDD
FDD

I read 2021 tech. regulations.
If I understood right ICE producer can use 2 spec of ICE for the 2021 season, which means 1 on the beginning and 1 more spec (evolution) in the season.
Am I right?

GhostF1

FDD wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 01:12
If I understood right ICE producer can use 2 spec of ICE for the 2021 season, which means 1 on the beginning and 1 more spec (evolution) in the season.
Am I right?
Yes that is correct. So far, Ferrari and Honda are bringing "brand new engines" for 2021, Mercedes with improvements to its current design and Renault have stayed relatively quiet but suggested their focus has switched entirely towards its new engine which will be ready for the 2022 season.
And from spy photos, its looking as though they are going towards the Honda/Mercedes split turbo layout as well, moving away from Ferrari's layout.

FDD
FDD

GhostF1 wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 01:21
FDD wrote:
Am I right?
Yes that is correct. So far, Ferrari and Honda are bringing "brand new engines" for 2021, Mercedes with improvements to its current design and Renault have stayed relatively quiet but suggested their focus has switched entirely towards its new engine which will be ready for the 2022 season.
And from spy photos, its looking as though they are going towards the Honda/Mercedes split turbo layout as well, moving away from Ferrari's layout.
Thank you
PS You present some info for Renault that I did not read till now

ryaan2904

GhostF1 wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 01:21
FDD wrote:
Am I right?
Hope Ferrari goes split turbo in 2022
CFD Eyes of Sauron

J_Ryder

Binotto said in Will Buxton's podcast that his doesn't expect Ferrari to be the weakest engine next year.

FDD
FDD

Can anyone explain what are the cons and pros of split turbo config comparing to lets say traditional approach?
PS I can find 2 pros, in sense that compressor is far from turbine that means heat from it is not transferred on compressed air and tighter-more compact packaging of the PU, but not sure for the second one.

aleks_ader

FDD wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 10:17
Can anyone explain what are the cons and pros of split turbo config comparing to lets say traditional approach?
PS I can find 2 pros, in sense that compressor is far from turbine that means heat from it is not transferred on compressed air and tighter-more compact packaging of the PU, but not sure for the second one.
That is not really the problem. I would say is better for overall intercooler packaging in front Vee and tight coke bottle in rear. Also intercooler ducting could be shorter and little less headache for packaging. Also ducting lag response in is more easier to map. I would even say u use less energy from mugh compressor spool. Every 0.1% counts. Plus u could put water intercooler very low to reduce cofg.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

aleks_ader

Also I would say you bring all heavy part more into middle of the car. U reduce polar inertia a bit also.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna