McLaren MP4-20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Irvingthien

McLaren MP4-20

Stunning.

Irvingthien

Everything's still the same, except the wider nose and the slimmer airbox plus the chimney. Hope they can do better this time out.

Steven
Owner

still the same??

I think the car looks pretty different from last season though.
The sidepos is smaller at the front, lower at the back and the chimney has been added. There is idd the beforementioned nose (which I don't like very much) and the rear wing.

Anyway, I think/hope disigners have though on increasing the fuel capacity of a car. I don't know exactly if it may be interesting to run races with only one stop (this would mean more weight, more tyre degredation, less stops,...) but it may at some point be useful if you have a race-lasting tyre ;)

Plus single exit exhaust mounted centrally in line with engine cover spine.

Compared to others, the rear wing and engine cover seem much closer

akbar21881

Sidepods look really different. Strangely Sauber's sidepod is also more or less from the same design theme, so maybe this is the results from the new regulation.

Can anyone see whether the car is still a twin keel or has changed to single keel??? I couldnt see it from the pic :oops:

It has 2 exhausts... the picture is just taken at a misleading angle

Anonymous wrote:It has 2 exhausts... the picture is just taken at a misleading angle
Old 2 exhausts
http://images.f1racing.net/large/38909.jpg

New 1 exhaust
http://images.f1racing.net/large/38904.jpg

It has 2 pipes
http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html ... 4135.shtml
take a look at the 3rd picture!

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:It has 2 exhausts... the picture is just taken at a misleading angle
Old 2 exhausts
http://images.f1racing.net/large/38909.jpg

New 1 exhaust
http://images.f1racing.net/large/38904.jpg
Yeah, you're right. That picture I quoted does look quite convincing though.

Ciwai

Not conclusive but it still appears to be a twin keeler. Geometry seems more like last years williams with the angled upper arms. Higher pushrod mounting points necesitate dimples on the nose. Nose shape looks similar to the wide nose that was tested last year. I'm surprised how similar the front wing is to last years car.

From the sidepods back looks really clean--chimneys really look to be a tidier solution than the winglets/outlets on the B. Overall roundedness as sidepods taper back is even more reminiscent of R24. Airbox is terminated in a straight cut at the back. Subtle changes to paint graphics--red swoosh extending around nose/grey chimney section are nice.

uzael

Seems like they re-used a lot of the mp4-19B in this year's car. I hope it works out for them. Obviously there have been some change at the back to increase aero efficiency at the back of the sidepods, but I really wonder how much the rest of the 19b's areo pacakge has been beaten to make themost out of the new regs. I fear mcLaren may have opted for conservativism at the wrong time again.
"I'll bring us through this. As always. I'll carry you - kicking and screaming - and in the end you'll thank me. "

Timstr

Ciwai wrote:Not conclusive but it still appears to be a twin keeler. Geometry seems more like last years williams with the angled upper arms. Higher pushrod mounting points necesitate dimples on the nose. Nose shape looks similar to the wide nose that was tested last year. I'm surprised how similar the front wing is to last years car.

From the sidepods back looks really clean--chimneys really look to be a tidier solution than the winglets/outlets on the B. Overall roundedness as sidepods taper back is even more reminiscent of R24. Airbox is terminated in a straight cut at the back. Subtle changes to paint graphics--red swoosh extending around nose/grey chimney section are nice.
It still is a twin keeler. As you indicate, the pick-up points are higher. I believe this is why the strut we used to see between the two keels are now absent (improved stiffness).

The lower suspension arms seems to be attached directly to the chassis - which makes the twin keel to be only an aerodynamic device.

Timstr

Anonymous wrote:The lower suspension arms seems to be attached directly to the chassis - which makes the twin keel to be only an aerodynamic device.
The main aim of a twin keel setup is improved aerodynamics, is my understanding.

Spencifer_Murphy

Nah it is still most definately a twin keel.....the srms which look like they are atttached to the centre of the underside of the nose in between the keels are simply a device to keep some stuctural rigidity which is a fault in the twin keel design....the MP4-19 and 19B had it also
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.