[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

diffuser wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 14:57
SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 23:42
mwillems wrote:
I agree, just disagree for the snowflake remark. Call him for what he is, he lacks judgment and seems to be a little bit immature and is lacking the edge or judgement that growing up brings. He's very talented, and he is getting faster. Ric will push him more and I suspect he will learn more. Mclaren are perhaps a bit too nice with him on face value and he do well to get a smacked bottom a bit more often (Assuming it doesn't, it doesn't appear so).
No one knows how the discussions go inside the team... If the team is been soft or harsh with him, those discussions are behind close doors and I’m glad that they don’t vent on the drivers publicly like other teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with that smallsoldier. We have no idea, internally, how McLaren are handling him.

It's also the first time he's screwed up in quali, not like he's making a habit of it. He's gonna make mistakes.

Also with regards to him not finishing the lap. He has his co-pilot/Engineer not to mention the whole team there. They have alot more info than we do and he's not alone in making that decision, if it was his choice at all.
How many times does it take to make it a habit?

I count 3 ‘final run’ (2 in Q3 and 1 in Q2) mistakes in consecutive qualifying sessions.
Just a fan's point of view

Chicane

It is not like Norris has been blindingly quick in qualifying this season either for people to say mistakes are bound to happen. He struggles to nail his first attempt in Q1 which means he is always on the back foot. I think in the entire season he has made it in to Q2 on one set on only one occasion or maximum 2. Yes he may recover positions today and have a solid result but that does not means whatever goof up he did yesterday is going to be swept under the carpet. Russel in a car in which he does not even fit jumps in and misses pole by 25 milliseconds. Leclerc posts Ferrari in to 4th in a Ferrari with an impotent motor .

Lando is a decent driver and if we keep our expectations limited to an average midfield pilot, i say he is doing a pretty decent job but Mclaren's expectations from him are much higher and he will struggle to keep his seat if he continues to use up 2 sets in Q1 to get out, leaves a couple of tenths on the table in Q3 and drives average first laps in the race.

Lando has been a very well prepared driver who has had opportunities in Mclaren in testing duties, free practice duties and is at the end of his second season. He has to start delivering by that i mean have a solid weekend where he puts the car in the ball park in qualifying and has consistent performance across the race than coming off the age in final laps. Mclaren is aspiring to be race winning team and for that they need drivers matching that expectation.
Quickshifter

billamend

JRindt

Apparently it’s gonna be very windy today (32kph iirc) with tail wind along the main straight. Hope we don’t get screwed over 🤞

billamend

Chicane wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 16:12
Hope you hold the same standards to every driver in the grid. Very few, if even one, will hold up to those expectations.

Jackles-UK

billamend wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 16:26
I had hoped they’d go with this after qualifying had ended but I assumed they wouldn’t want the added expense with only two rounds to go. Could be a huge boost (no pun intended!) with two very power sensitive tracks to come and everyone else’s PU’s reaching the end of their lifecycle; Perez was saying yesterday that his engine was losing him at least a tenth per lap around Sakhir, around Yas Marina next week it’s likely to be much more significant.

CjC
CjC

JRindt wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 16:34
Apparently it’s gonna be very windy today (32kph iirc) with tail wind along the main straight. Hope we don’t get screwed over 🤞
Oh if it can- it will :roll:

Darth-Piekus

Norris has been hyped by the press as the next Hamilton and for that many here including me are expecting him to show a similar evolution as Hamilton. It's up to him to see if those remarks are true or he was overhyped.

Big Tea

Darth-Piekus wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 17:32
Norris has been hyped by the press as the next Hamilton and for that many here including me are expecting him to show a similar evolution as Hamilton. It's up to him to see if those remarks are true or he was overhyped.
He is not going to be the next Hamilton, but he could well become the next Button.
More than one way to skin a cat.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

CjC
CjC

billamend wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 16:26
Just an ICE and Turbo?
Surely it would make sense to take a whole new PU?

Jackles-UK

Sky F1 grid has Lando starting ahead of Fittipaldi in 19th (clean side of the grid, by the way), rather than 20th as expected. Presumably the Haas PU changes resulted in a higher grid penalty than the McLaren ones on his car.

CjC
CjC

Jackles-UK wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 17:45
Sky F1 grid has Lando starting ahead of Fittipaldi in 19th (clean side of the grid, by the way), rather than 20th as expected. Presumably the Haas PU changes resulted in a higher grid penalty than the McLaren ones on his car.
According to this it’s because Lando qualified higher:
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15401 ... ne-penalty

I’m not going to comment on Landos comments at the end of the article either because he’s had a lot of stick off me in the last 24 hours but once again he hasn’t filled me with confidence :roll:

billamend

FYI: it wasn’t a tactical decision. The engine had issues since Saturday and Renault decided to replace.

Darth-Piekus

Good luck to the team today. With a good damage limitation or ending in front of them we pretty much end the 3rd place dispute today.

diffuser

CjC wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 15:19
diffuser wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 14:57
SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 23:42

No one knows how the discussions go inside the team... If the team is been soft or harsh with him, those discussions are behind close doors and I’m glad that they don’t vent on the drivers publicly like other teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with that smallsoldier. We have no idea, internally, how McLaren are handling him.

It's also the first time he's screwed up in quali, not like he's making a habit of it. He's gonna make mistakes.

Also with regards to him not finishing the lap. He has his co-pilot/Engineer not to mention the whole team there. They have alot more info than we do and he's not alone in making that decision, if it was his choice at all.
How many times does it take to make it a habit?

I count 3 ‘final run’ (2 in Q3 and 1 in Q2) mistakes in consecutive qualifying sessions.

only 1 quali